Tofu questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Didn't we used to have a sub forum for ingredient info? Well, if this post is in the wrong place, I hope a moderator moves it to the right place. It's not a vegetarian question, so I don't think the special diets forum is where it belongs.

I first ate tofu in the 1970s. I really enjoyed it in Chinese restos, which they called "bean curd" back then. Most people didn't know about tofu. The majority of people who knew about it tofu, were "hippies" and/or vegetarians. I found that it was pretty awful when people called it tofu. I don't think they were cooking it right. I know that a lot more people know how to cook it nowadays.

I have never cooked with tofu . I would like to try cooking with it. But, I have no idea what the different types of tofu are used for. I would like to use locally made tofu that I can get with my produce basket. These are the types I can get from the produce basket place. I'm only interested in the plain, unflavoured types.

I second that!

I’ve eaten and enjoyed firm tofu in restaurants but am a bit intimidated about what to buy and how to prepare it in my home kitchen.

I know your search abilities far outshine mine but I was just going to link the shelf-stable thread just in case .... but I see you are already there. lol

I’m thinking something like this tofu fajita or a similar sheet pan dinner would be a good place for me to start.

I’m just not sure how to judge the best tofu to use. At this point, I wouldn’t know if the tofu was even fresh or edible.

@taxlady for the easiest way to cook firm or very firm tofu, for us, is to freeze it, then thaw it, squeeze it out, cube it, marinate it, then bake on parchment, 20 minutes turn over and another 20 minutes at 350 deg F. Now you've got some tasty cubes of tofu. I might add them to a stir fry at the end, or into a soup, or even top a salad with them.
I make 2 or so lbs at a time, and freeze them to go right from the freezer to the dish.

For us, eating with no added refined oils or fats, there are foods that are specifically higher in calories from fat than most vegetables, fruits, grains or legumes, tofu is one of them. (olives, nuts, seeds, avocado are the others)

I’m thinking something like this tofu fajita or a similar sheet pan dinner would be a good place for me to start.

I’m just not sure how to judge the best tofu to use. At this point, I wouldn’t know if the tofu was even fresh or edible.

Good suggestion of a dish.

Tofu is fully cooked when bought. When I make it at home, I blend the soaked soybeans, then strain out most of the bigger fiber, then cook the resulting soy water/milk, add gypsum then put it in a cheese press (or tofu press), straining out clear liquid to create a block of tofu. Then it is refrigerated. It's edible but bland, like white bread is bland, it needs to have something on it or with it.

I've used tofu off and on for 50+ years. Different brands can have different flavors. Shop around for a brand you like. Somewhere I have a dynamite recipe for tofu cheese cake using 2 blocks of extra firm. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Thanks for the link Dragn. I re-read the thread and got some ideas. I'll need some ideas about things people like to do with with the various kinds of tofu. I'm mostly interested in really easy stuff to do.

In my opinion start with a firm or extra firm tofu. They generally behave better for the first time experience of cooking with tofu. Try something specifically that features tofu as itself rather than as tofu substituting for something else. Some version of mapo tofu would be a good starter so make sure you pick one that isn't too intensely hot for your taste. I also like a number of soups with it that are worthwhile. I enjoy it in hot and sour and miso for example. But I don't think those get you right into the features of tofu as well as maybe the mapo does.

In more traditional Chinese cooking the tofu is often blanched first to "remove the beany flavor."

For this YouTube video you'll want to turn on subtitles and then choose English Auto Translate as your language for the subtitles. I've not actually cooked this I just put it in my save list to consider for later use but I link it here just to show how the Chinese might use tofu in a meal. And yes the auto translation can make some interesting incorrect word choices.

I read in Wikipedia that most American tofu is already treated to get rid of the beany flavour that Americans tend to dislike, while Asian tend to prefer tofu made with the beany flavour. So, I don't think I will need to blanch the tofu. It was an interesting video.

Many years ago, I used to eat more tofu, because I knew a vegetarian lady, and I would make a bunch of things with it. And I would often get some of that tofu they sell "loose", in brine, in Asian markets, and that definitely tasted better, though I wouldn't buy too much, as I'm sure it wouldn't keep as long. Those ones in the cartons, with expiration dates months away, were pretty much flavorless, though of course, the flavor is mostly in the recipe.

The thing I see many people object to with tofu is the consistency ( which can be altered and changed).
Another misconception is that it has no flavor and it only tastes like whatever you cook it in, as it will absorb the flavor. Its true that it absorbs the flavors , and doesnt have much of a taste, but it still has a a taste ( which others object to).
The taste could vary due to the coagulating ingredient that is being used to make it, as basic tofu, in general , has very few ingredients ( soy beans and a salt, usually nigari (magnesium chloride) or gypsum (calcium sulfate), as a coagulating agent. The amount salt used will affect the firmness of the tofu and the flavor. The firmness or texture is also changed by whether it is pressed ( to release the water content, how it is cooked ( Frozen and rethawed, baked, stir fired or boiled ( as in soups).
The soft tofu is usually used in:
- Soups, ( very delicate, and breaks down easy, over handle)
- Blend up too make creamy - like sauces, dips, desserts , smoothies ..
The firmer tofu is usually used in:
- Stir fries ( pre fried to give a firmer, chewier texture)
- Also coated with a starch ( corn starch) then fried too give a crispier texture
- Pressed , to remove water content and give a firmer texture ( dont press soft tofu)
- Frozen, then thawed for a chewier, different kind of texture.
- Mashed up to make a consistency very similar to Egg salad
- Marinated and baked ( put in fajita, or smoked flavored nuggets for pea soup)
-Cut un cubes, put in a bag with a spice blend and salt, then baked to make ' tofu nuggets'
- Sometimes I press, marinate then cook on a panini press for a sandwich like meal
- Can be grilled if firm and pressed ( so it holds up on the grill)
- I ve used it in place of paneer in certain Indian dishes ( doesn't replace the flavor, but has a similar texture as the paneer)
- Also used in soups ( holds up better than the soft tofu)

Tofu is really good when used properly, but another common mistake that is made ( usually by people who dont eat it, but are trying to do a good deed, and make something a vegetarian or vegan guest will eat, when invited over, is do a direct substitute of tofu in place of a meat in a dish that is typically a meat dish. Not saying it cant be done, but it is rarely done successfully. I've had served to me, Tofu parmesan, tofu stew, turkey tofu..and the list goes on. I give an A for effort, but tofu has its own physical qualities, and can not be a direct substitute unless someone is familiar with those properties . Some of these dishes are cooked by the same person ( who shall remain nameless) that has served me , on passover, Matzah Lasagna and Matzah Pizza.
Anyway, above is just the tip of the iceberg on tofu. It does have its own flavor ( mild, but it's there). For those who object to the consistency, it can be changed with many different methods ( freezing, pressing, frying, blending, mashing, baking, dehydrating ....). It can be breaded and fried or crisped up with a starch coating. And when used properly, it's really good, but when improperly prepared, it can be terrible. Often improperly prepared by someone who is trying to do a good deed, but in over their head cause they are cooking something they never cooked before and doing a direct substitute for meat.

This is all I can thing of this early in the morning

Back
Top Bottom