Tonight it's Carmenere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven S

Senior Cook
N of the Equator, W of the Greenwich Meridian
I am drinking a Natura 2007 Carmenere from the Valle Colchagua region in Chile. I have been hearing positive things about Carmenere from Chile and decided to check it out. This is actually the first time I try the Carmenere grape that I am aware of. Aromas of spices and berries... color, very deep purple. It is best drunk young and supposedly medium-bodied but I find mine pretty big. I also found the tannins quite prominent. But what definitely hit me first was the alcohol, it came through strongly. I am pairing it with air (as someone put it yesterday!) but definitely think it would be best enjoyed with a hearty stew or braised meat. Would like to know if anyone has tried a Carmenere, and if they recall from where and what they thought.

I have not tried Carmenere, but understand it to have a very distinct nose. I bet it would be good with a venison or lamb stew based on your description.

I had my second Carmenere, this time it was a Panilonco Carmenere and unfortunately, I failed to record the vintage. I preferred it to the Natura - the alcohol and the tannins were significantly reduced in this one even though it was about half the price of the Natura. I am wondering if it was a 2006 and the tannins softened in the extra year. Anyways, I was pleased.

Chile is the country that still grows the grape and has the experience in its winemaking. It is an excellent full bodied full fruit wine with big mouth feel and goes extremely well with big food, ie: things like a beef burgundy, roast lamb with root veg, fejuoada, etc.

The most economical is Frontera's Concha y Toro label, (quite drinkable) but there are many upscale also. Carmenere is a wine worth investigating...it certainly has the interest of wine lovers and bloggers. and then comes Malbec...

I love Colores Del Sol Carmenere - similiar to a Pinot Noir at first sip, then finishes with a very spicy, peppery finish - has light tannins.

(They make a great Sauvignon Blanc also).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom