Tuesday 12/20/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Split pea soup is on the menu today. I have 5 smoked ham hocks in the instantpot cooking under pressure. It the broth isn't flavorful enough I have BTB ham base and/or liquid mesquite or hickory smoke.

I re-purposed the leftover squash-fennel-onion from the weekend's chicken-squash dish and made a soup to which I've added roasted apple, carrot, pear, and celery. A bit of maple syrup to cut some of the tartness from the lemon slices. I also pickled a beef heart in the pressure cooker this morning. And, there are 2 enchiladas left from last night. I'm guessing tonight will be a free-for-all. Since I don't usually eat a full supper since I have my big meal for breakfast and then lunch, I will be dishing up what the Elders pick. I might have a salad with some cold, sliced pickled heart, tomato, blue cheese or feta crumbles, pickled beets, and oil and vinegar. Or, I might just have some fresh fruit and yogurt. Or, nothing at all. Depends on if I'm hungry.

Smoked turkey enchiladas with cumin or confetti rice.:yum: The green enchilada sauce is made with roasted poblanos which are peeled and seeded, roasted tomatillos, roasted garlic and roasted onions.

Going to be working on the chicken, green chile, corn chowder for a while. I think I will go put some in the freezer. Once it thaws out from being on the back portal last night where it was 4*F this am.

Tonight's dinner will be beef and okra stew over rice. Usually, it's lamb and okra stew but I have the chuck and no lamb so...

I'm on my way out the to go Christmas shopping, so dinner will be whatever I pick,up on the way into work tonight. I'm thinking sushi.

I re-purposed the leftover squash-fennel-onion from the weekend's chicken-squash dish and made a soup to which I've added roasted apple, carrot, pear, and celery. A bit of maple syrup to cut some of the tartness from the lemon slices. I also pickled a beef heart in the pressure cooker this morning. And, there are 2 enchiladas left from last night. I'm guessing tonight will be a free-for-all. Since I don't usually eat a full supper since I have my big meal for breakfast and then lunch, I will be dishing up what the Elders pick. I might have a salad with some cold, sliced pickled heart, tomato, blue cheese or feta crumbles, pickled beets, and oil and vinegar. Or, I might just have some fresh fruit and yogurt. Or, nothing at all. Depends on if I'm hungry.
The Elders both opted for a rewind of the enchiladas, with a side salad and Christmas cookies for dessert. I went with a huge salad topped with pickled heart, tomatoes, bleu cheese crumbles, toasted walnuts and a bleu cheese buttermilk dressing.

The Elders both opted for a rewind of the enchiladas, with a side salad and Christmas cookies for dessert. I went with a huge salad topped with pickled heart, tomatoes, bleu cheese crumbles, toasted walnuts and a bleu cheese buttermilk dressing.

Pickled heart of what, if I might ask?

DH brought home a couple of Hardee's chicken sandwiches for lunch. Really salty. We munched on those.

We weren't supposed to eat dinner at home. :( We were supposed to be at Blue Colony late this afternoon. *sigh* However, Himself's *cough-cough* and his *sniffle-sneeze* put our departure on hold. I did some banking, and got the car tank filled, and then stopped for a bit of Slavic medicine - we had smoked kielbasa in sauerkraut, and potato and cheese pierogi. I like mine with sour cream, Himself had his with onions. He said to saute up "just a little bit". I caramelized an entire large sweet onion. There is maybe two? tablespoons worth left in the Pyrex container with the two leftover pierogi. Enough kielbasa and kraut for tomorrow, unless his appetite comes back. Then I'll heat some of the ham. Sure hope he feels good enough so we can launch on Thursday...:ermm:

Pickled heart of what, if I might ask?

DH brought home a couple of Hardee's chicken sandwiches for lunch. Really salty. We munched on those.
Beef. Although, I think it was a calf heart, not big enough or fatty enough to be an adult. When we went to the base, I found it in the freezer mislabeled liver. I knew it was a beef heart and since my Dad likes pickled heart, I tossed it in his grocery cart.

I hope Himself fells better, CG.

My dinner last night. The abalone was like eating fishy cartilage, but the rest was delicious.

Attachments

• 1220162343d.jpg
    1220162343d.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I hope Himself fells better, CG.

My dinner last night. The abalone was like eating fishy cartilage, but the rest was delicious.

Then that abalone was not fresh! I have a 7# red in the freezer that a buddy from Cali harvested and brought here when he came to work on a project. This is the second one he has given me. The first one we made fritters with.:yum:

Yeah, I figured as much. It wasn't that bad tasting, but the texture was almost hatd.

I can see how a large one would be better with more of the softer meat towards the edge rather than the connective bit.

Now, the octopus which is normally a little tough, was tender. The salmon was buttery and creamy, and the fluke was sweet.

crockpot time of the year. 15 Bean soup with Kielbasa, corn bread muffins. I bought a cantaloupe, should have know better. Done with them until May when south Georgia starts to harvest.

I had a large Kit Kat Blizzard for dinner!

It was actually a reward for seeing my ENT and surviving the nose probe...something I have never been able to do before!

I was sore and not hungry so I got my favourite treat!

TB had a burger, fries and banana split!

Back
Top Bottom