Two pork questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
First of all I bought a 10 lb. pork shoulder and froze it. I put it in the fridge on Wed. but still frozen solid. How long will this take?

And then, if it finally does thaw, how long will I cook it? I was hoping to make some kind of bbq with it once it's cooked.

Elaine, put it in a brine in your fridge, it will thaw faster that way. When did you want to cook it?

Totally realistic. Do you mean you are making BBQ as in shredded pork or do you mean you are using a BBQ to cook the pork roast? Two very different times in those situations. I just want to be clear which you are doing.

I am cooking it in the oven and then use it as pulled pork.

Okay then, I can't give you a specific time line but I'd go with low temp (250ish) for oh, almost forever. LOL. Seriously though, probably about 8 hours at a low temp. I don't do pork that way so I'm only going with what I've read on here. Hopefully someone like pacanis or kitchenelf will happen along with better instruction.

Would I wrap it in foil? How do you cook it? I don't have a smoker....yet anyway.

I generally just do it as a pork roast so I cook it about 20 minutes per pound. But that won't yield the pulled pork consistency you are looking for. I think I would rub it with something (use the advanced search function for a rub recipe there are some good ones on here) and then yep, I would tent foil over it with some wine or juice or beer in the bottom of a roaster and put it in low and slow. Then I'd finish it with the BBQ sauce later.

Thanks. That sounds like what I was going to attempt. I figured it was a slow thing. That's okay. I'll start bright and early!

I am cooking it in the oven and then use it as pulled pork.

Oh, in that case..
Slow roast it for hours if you are just pulling it. I would look at a minimum of 6 hours.

If you are baking down pulled pork BBQ with it after it's pulled, you can just boil it.

I make a pulled pork BBQ where the pulled pork is baked down in a sauce. For that you want the broth from boiling the pork as a base to add everything to.
You pull the meat out of the broth, shred it removing most of the fat that is left, add the meat back to the broth along with what becomes the BBQ sauce.

Once baked down it goes on a bun along with Turmeric slaw--very tasty and quite addictive....

Rub it with what you have...Salt, Pepper, garlic, paprika, etc. etc. ...250* uncovered until it reaches 190*-195* in the thickest part...Expect it to take 8 hours or more....Don't peek to often...it will increase your cooking time.....Allow it to cool for a while...then pull it. Becareful not to burn yourself.

Enjoy!

well it's been in the oven since 730 and looks like it may be done by Thursday. Wonder if I should cover it?

What do you mean "boiling broth" Do you boil it first?
Depending on what type of pulled pork BBQ I am making. One type, I just boil the heck out of the meat, pull it, use the broth with my BBQ sauce additions and bake it down. It usually takes 3 to 4 hours to bake it down since there is so much liquid. The plus is, it's really rich when it's done!!!!

The other way is to roast the meat then add the BBQ sauce on the side. I prefer the first method.

Well in case anyone out there is dying to know how it came out.....GREAT! I decided to have a little patience and wait and stop the peeking. It was perfect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom