Viking vs Wolf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

admeeran

Assistant Cook
Hello there,

I am doing shopping for my new house and I come down to either Wolf 30" all gas or Viking 30" all gas range.

Price wise, it seems like viking is bit cheaper than wolf.

However, for a indian meal cook we use quite a bit of simmer which requires long hours of cooking but in a very very small heat. For this reason, I am quite happy with wolf simmer setting that can go with 5000 BTU.

I am not quite sure about VeriSimmer function provided by Viking.

Does anyone has experience with Viking VeriSimmer, and if so can you please guide me so.

Thank you,

Have you looked at the Consumer Reports comments and stats?

If you are determined to choose between those two, Wolf is better, no question.

Or go to http://www.epinions.com. And read some of the reviews there on the two brand names. That might help you decide which one is the better one.

Yeah, I heard that Viking's appliances have some design flaws that make them break down a lot.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I decided to go with Wolf 30 AG since I have heard so much complaints about Viking and interms of warranty as well. Post sales service of wolf is much better than viking according to different postings that I found in the internet. I don't say Viking is bad. But I just don't feel very comfortable interms of value-for-money.

I had a Viking 30" range in my old house.

When it was delivered and put in the space in the new counter for the stove, I noticed that the front of the range was not square -- it was crooked, a trapezoid! The installer managed to get it in the hole, but it looked funny, with gaps in the front, one at the bottom of the left side and one at the top of the right side. Viking sent out a guy to fix it, and he worked on it for a couple of hours before deciding simply to order a new one. The new one was also slightly off square, but I agreed to keep it anyway.

The range had a gas convection oven, something Viking was trumpeting at the time. It had such BAD hot spots that we never used it after ruining a few batches of cookies.

The stove was otherwise fine, and I used it for about 9 years before we moved. I miss the big burners, but if I ever redo my current kitchen, I think I'll opt for a Wolf. As they say, once burned....

My delivery date is scheduled sometime in October only.

In the meanwhile, I am wondering is anyone knows what the vent cover at the back of 30" AG Wolf. Because I say in the 30" DF, it has about 3" (or probably less than 3") of island trim (It looks nice, but salesman say for AG, it needs to be bought separately). If anyone has pictures of stardard cover for the vent (not the 3" island trim), please do post it.

Also I do notice, the wolf 30 has way small oven space than viking 30". Any comments about this.

Happy Monday

I am sure that whatever you decide will be the best oven for you.

Before I buy any appliances I really research them out. As for Service Contracts I have never bought one except for the additional 5 years on my 2005 car.

Jill and Jolie

Last edited by a moderator:
Every chef who has a pro style I've talked to, and all food service pros have steered me to Wolf. (ok so what # is that...3 chefs and 5 food service people total 8. But no one recommended Viking. Some others recommended DCS or Thermador.) Mine is on order for Instal in my new home in Dec.
All my research said if you intend to use your fancy range for cooking rather than showing to family etc, get the Wolf. Mine will be the Dual Fuel 36".

My stove/oven/broiler is an eighty year old Magic-Chef that my grandfather "modified" for more juice from propane gas. I don't really want to part with it, but being a realist, I have done some shopping and comparisons. I would definitely go with Wolf. Others I know who have them have had few problems, as well as prompt and efficient solutions when problems did develop (seems to be mostly igniter issues). I don't have a lot of anecdotal info on Viking (though my chiropractor was disgusted with his), but the online reviews I have seen are not nearly as glowing as for the Viking, regardless of model.

Wolf vs. Viking vs. Gaganau Convection Oven???

Which convection oven is better?

Also, which dual fuel range is better? Why?

This board seems to prefer Wolf....but why?

I'm in the midst of remodel and can't find any reviews specifically comparing these. Any chefs out there that can give me some advice? Have to order the appliances in the next week or two....want the best wall convection oven for baking and then separate range for everything else?

Advice anyone?

Have been living with junky appliances for the last 16 yrs so want to put in the best that I can find....but having trouble objectively comparing and haven't cooked or baked with either.

thanks!:chef:

Wolf is preferred over Viking becuase Viking has had some quality problems and has a reputation for poor quality as a result.

Gas on the stove top and electric oven because electric has advantages over gas in the oven. Faster heat up and more even temperatures. Also, gas produces moisture in the oven, which can effect your baking.

Last edited:
Both Viking and Wolf simmer low and slow, but the WOlf stays lighted at that low flame. THe Wolf oven has dual convection fans for very even air/heat flow.

Paula has WOlf in her new kitchen in Savanah, Ina has Viking behind her, but uses a Wolf 2 burner gas counter module for most of her cooking on tube, Tyler now has Viking in his "Kitchen", Kitchen stadium has Viking, but visiting chefs have had problems with gas flow, oven temps, doors, etc. One chef even thought the burners didn't produce enough heat. (well a Vulcan Hart commercial range has burners of 23000 btu standard. THat's 8000btu more than Wolf or Viking. A real commercial range is a different animal.)

Decisions, Decisions---Convection Oven and Range

Thanks for the comments; Just wanted to clarify, have baked / roasted w/ electric convection for years just not with Viking or Wolf. Definitely want electric convection....but, which one!

Interesting about cooking show models! Is it a preference or freebies from manufacturer?

I've noticed from scouring the brochures that Wolf has the hidden bake element for easy clean up; So that's a plus for Wolf oven; Both seem to tout most of the other same features.

Dual Fuel Range configurations are same from what I can tell but not completely. Small left oven on Viking is convection where Wolf's is not; Not sure how important that is? Also, don't understand how comparable the simmer settings are between the two. Checking to see if burner BTU's are the same.

I'll probably opt for griddle rather than grill as we live in CA and weather is not an issue in BBQ outside. Do you really use the griddle? Seems like a dust catcher to me...ughhh cleaning; Would rather have additional burners than griddle.

Thanks so much you guys! Keep the comments coming as I'm still on the fence.

I took some cooking classes in NYC where they used Viking gas stovetops, and the chefs/instructors were disgusted because the vent fans would put out a simmer flame. One commented that, at the other school where she taught classes, they had Wolf and had no problems. When pressed, she didn't know if it was a difference in ventilation or quality in the cooktops. FWIW.

I'd guess it's the actual appliances. Wolf has 75 years in the business making commercial ranges for restaurants etc. Viking makes pro styke for the home. THe damands ore quite different, and Wolf has the experience.

Ok, leaning toward the Wolf. The amount of complaints about the Viking on line is a bit frightening. I do realize that satisfied customers are not likely to post glowing reports as much as disgruntled folks will detail their complaints. But, Wolf had very few complaints that I could find on line.

Going tomorrow to a showroom that has them hooked up so I can actually try them. Viking is very pretty but I need more than a show piece. All the color options are irrelevant in my opinion if it can't perform.

I've heard the simmer on the Viking's won't stay lit. The stacked burner design on the Wolf was interesting and made sense.

Now trying to compare the ovens. Anyone know about the alleged hot spots in the Viking? Any issues with the Wolf?

I just got a Wolf 30" dual fuel. Haven't used the burners much, as I didn't like the new hood vent I originally ordered (too noisy!), and bit the bullet for a Wolf, so I could get infinite cfm control and the auto on for safety. To be installed. I absolutely ADORE the oven! Did double recipe biscotti the other day, and 3 lasagna last night. Incredible. That dual convection really works - and 4 different modes, too. And the triple pane glass doesn't heat up a bit. very even - I'm sold!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom