Want To Make Buffalo Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes! buffalo wings are very spicy. the tru buffalo wings from anchor bar are way out they. the mild is like the meduim and its hard not to make their wings with out the heat. you can use a milder base sauce to start out with but when you add all the spices they are gonna comeout hot.

but with the sauce you just put the cooked wings in a bowl and pour some sauce over it then put a plate or something over the bowl and shake. . thats they easy way to get full sauce coverage

If you google Anchor Bar buffalo wings you can get a number of recipes that claim to be the original one.

They are basically fried wings coated with a combo of melted margerine and hot sauce. Franks, I think.

Actually prefer deep frying the wings to baking them, but baking sure works well too.

But if you want another recipe for wings here is a winner. I don't remember where I got it.

PARMESAN MUSTARD CHICKEN WINGS

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (please for this don't use the stuff in the can)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
20 chicken wings, wing tips cut off and discarded and the wings halved at the joint

In a shallow dish whisk together the butter, the mustard, and the cayenne. In another shallow dish combine well the bread crumbs, the Parmesan, the cumin, and salt and
black pepper to taste. Dip the chicken wings, a few at a time, in the butter mixture, letting the excess drip off, coat them with the crumb mixture, and arrange them without touching each other in a greased shallow baking pan.

Bake the chicken wings in the lower third of a preheated 425°F. oven for 30 minutes. If
extra-crisp chicken wings are desired, turn the wings after 20 minutes.

This is a bit messy to make but makes very tasty wings.

I live about 15 minutes from the "anchor bar".. The Buffalo wing Capital. The key to the buffalo wings is the vinegar.

Hot sauce
Butter
Salt
Vinegar

Now i'm wondering what BBQ sauce would taste with vinegar......

Take the Teflon Cookware poll.
[Link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I find frying is vastly better than baking them, but I like 'em crispy. I use my deep fryer, first cooking the wings and then tossing them in sauce. I usually use a nonstick wok on the stovetop for this- it's perfect for making the sauce & just right for tossing them to coat.

For a pound of wings, I'll start with just over 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot and about 1 & 1/2 TBSP of white wine and bring it to a low boil, just til the alcohol is cooked out. Then I'll melt in 2 TBSP of butter, swirling it around to thicken the sauce. As an option, sometimes I'll add about 1 tsp of Prudhommes BBQ Magic to the sauce. This gives a bit of kick & flavor, plus it thickens the sauce a bit.

Once this is done, simply dump your wings in the wok and toss til they're coated. The action of tossing the wings will actually sort of emulsify the butter into sauce, further thickening it.

This makes just about the best wings I've ever had, at least IMOHO. I've served this in a couple of restaurants and always gotten raves.:chef:

Last edited:
Alternative for the patience impaired

Guys I cant aggree with ya's any more, baking is the way to go.....Sorta. Try this next time you make wings, fall off the bone good.
Take your wings, 1 bottle franks hot sauce (can be any brand but I aggree franks is one of the best), and some HABERNARIOS ( 1 for medium, 2 for hot, 3 or 4 for you wanna hurt someone), through em into a straight sided saute pan or equelivent with a lid( you can do em without a lid to reduce the sauce a bit but OHH what a mess). Simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes till there about 90-95% done. Take a rectangular cake pan and line with foil. Place entire contents of pan into cake pan and put in oven on broil till you get em as crispy as you like then flip. For you crazy's I'd recomend some Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia for desert so you have a comforting thought the next day when your passing the habinarios...COME ON ICE CREAM :LOL:.... And these are healther than frying, dont take as long as baking and you can prep ahead of time and finish em off in the salimander or broiler for service. Not to mention there so tender they all but fall off the bone.

Don't deep fry a lot, but have done wings both ways, baking and frying, and consider deep frying worth the effort.

It is also a great way to do quail, try it. They come out great.

Use the traditional recipe of Frank's and butter.

Are usually fairly careful about what we eat, but sometimes you just have to blow it out.

They work well on the grill, too. Less mess to clean up is better in my book. Here's my method (stolen from wife's stepdad):

Get a bunch of frozen wing sections (or fresh, if they are on sale). Thaw them out.

Season with seasoned salt, salt and pepper, cayenne, Tony Chachere's, whatever you feel like/have on hand (this is how most of my "recipes" go.... :LOL: ).

Dump some sauce (Frank's Red Hot is what we like) in a pan that will fit on the side burner or back on the grill, put a little garlic butter in it. Baste them as you go, dipping them in the sauce when you go to turn them over, etc. Be sure you're cooking them thoroughly after that, though, just to make sure you're not salmonella-ing your guests/ yourself.

They won't be crispy as some people prefer, and it's not good food for a first date, but they sure do taste good. The hot sauce soaks in while they sit on the grill, so they do get hot- careful of that.

auntdot said:
Don't deep fry a lot, but have done wings both ways, baking and frying, and consider deep frying worth the effort.

It is also a great way to do quail, try it. They come out great.

Use the traditional recipe of Frank's and butter.

Are usually fairly careful about what we eat, but sometimes you just have to blow it out.

auntdot, did you make buffalo quail, or am i reading that incorrectly? either way, it sounds fantastic. the next time i get a good spatchcocked quail, i'm gonna try that.

edited to add: recently, i made wings under the broiler, turning occasionally to let them crisp properly, then sauced them on the stove. they were as close to the deep fried ones (but not quite as juicy, of course) as i've ever had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom