Wednesday, July 19, 2023 - National Hotdog Day - so what did you have???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
We had liver and onions, mashed potatoes, applesauce, refrigerator pickles and ice cream cake for dessert!

20230719_182848.jpg

I had breakfast for dinner: fermented 9 grain flakes, carrot slaw, blackberry puree, raisins, flax/chia, cinnamon. Breakfast and lunch were, open faced avocado tomato sandwiches, stir fry veggies with garlic sauce over brown basmati.
Blackberry frozen bar for dessert.

I had a Hebrew National 3oz hot dog on an Artesano sausage bun with Ted's hotdog sauce and Weber's horseradish mustard, potato salad, and a zero sugar Pepsi pleae.

Well, boo! Back to the drawing board?
Not sure what i did wrong. I'm sure it was a bad recipe ;). Those in a store/fair are soft and fluffy and better sticks perfectly. Mine were not fluffy at all. Were grainy and did not stick to the hot dogs.:(

@CharlieD It may have been the batter. I keep thinking that I want to try this recipe. If I make it, I will cut the sugar way back to no more than 1/4 cup because I don't want my corndogs to taste like candy. ;) Also, I will use white cornmeal because that is what I keep on-hand. I might also use buttermilk instead of regular milk.

To get the batter to stick better, I will let hotdogs sit out for 20 minutes or so before wiping them dry. A trick my grandmother taught me when it comes to coating almost anything.

I have a cast iron deep fryer as pictured in this recipe link. Last of all, I would use a high heat oil and make certain that the temperature is 350 degrees Fahrenheit or better before dropping a corndog in.

So....my "expert" advice from someone who has never made them. Let me know if you give it a try. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom