Wegmans coming to my area, should I be excited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
A Wegmans Grocery Store is coming to my neck of the woods (Still about a year out). I've heard the name, ju have never been in one. How does it compare to the typical grocery store? Does it bring anything new or different ? Should I be excited, or not ? I love checking out new places. I do it especially when I travel to different areas of the US .

A Wegmans Grocery Store is coming to my neck of the woods (Still about a year out). I've heard the name, ju have never been in one. How does it compare to the typical grocery store? Does it bring anything new or different ? Should I be excited, or not ? I love checking out new places. I do it especially when I travel to different areas of the US .
I was on a work trip a few weeks ago in NY and went into a Wegmans. I was like a kid in a candy store. It was huge, clean, and prices were good. Foodie heaven!

I was on a work trip a few weeks ago in NY and went into a Wegmans. I was like a kid in a candy store. It was huge, clean, and prices were good. Foodie heaven!
I make it a point to go to different grocery stores in different regions of the country. I almost never come out empty handed. Depending on how many days we are going to be on the road, we often travel with a cooler too to bring back perishables. Im a sucker for weird fruits and veggies ( usually found in the more ethnic stores).

I make it a point to go to different grocery stores in different regions of the country. I almost never come out empty handed. Depending on how many days we are going to be on the road, we often travel with a cooler too to bring back perishables. Im a sucker for weird fruits and veggies ( usually found in the more ethnic stores).
I'm surprised you never came across a Wegman's in your travels.

Wegman’s is interesting to me.

They are still a privately owned family business/dynasty.

They have a business model that relies on everyday prices, rarely offer sales, and promote their own house brands.

You can buy basic everyday items at fair prices but the temptations are everywhere and often win out over value.

I get a kick out of the prices on the prepared food grab ‘n’ go items.

I shop there most weeks and enjoy the selection/variety but if I was shopping for a family I would head for Aldi or Price Rite.

When I was taking care of my father, Wegmans was the only place I would shop for groceries. In Niagara Falls the only alternative was Tops, who had a monopoly, and their prices were noticably higher on just about eerything. I particularly liked Wegmans deli counter because they had a great variety of lunch meats, including a special charcuterie section, and the meat department had beef, pork and veal premixed and packaged as meatball or meatloaf mix. In fact the only problem I had was whomever stocked the shelves thought kossher salt was actually kosher and put it in the kosher foods aisle. I must have searched up and down the salt aisle at least 5 times before I figured that out. Sometimes I have to remember to think stupid!

I started a rumor in the store that they were being bought out by Piggly Wiggly and the name was going to be changed to Wigglemans. A couple of months later, one of the checkers told me they were being bought out.

Last edited:
Except for the prices, we have a similar grocery "Fortinos" owned by Loblaws. There are 23 or 28 stores across Toronto and area. They have a huge food court - as big as any mall. Deli and cheeses, breads and fresh produce. But that being said they are noticeably higher priced for many things.

My biggest complaint is that in the dry goods - for example mustards and olives, they carry only about 2 brands. They do have sections for Asian, Greek, Thai, Japan, etc. Not big but specific. But if you want Soy Sauce - there are only Light, Regular, Tamari - different brands of them but all the same.
An IGA I frequented in Quebec, although not quite as big carried more variety.

Except for the prices, we have a similar grocery "Fortinos" owned by Loblaws. There are 23 or 28 stores across Toronto and area. They have a huge food court - as big as any mall. Deli and cheeses, breads and fresh produce. But that being said they are noticeably higher priced for many things.

My biggest complaint is that in the dry goods - for example mustards and olives, they carry only about 2 brands. They do have sections for Asian, Greek, Thai, Japan, etc. Not big but specific. But if you want Soy Sauce - there are only Light, Regular, Tamari - different brands of them but all the same.
An IGA I frequented in Quebec, although not quite as big carried more variety.
Bob Loblaw??? hehehe a lawyer joke ... and the best show ever, Arrested Development

I got a nice promotion at work and my new office will look out at the Westwood Wegmans!

Im almost more excited by the Wegmans access than the new job

Bob Loblaw??? hehehe a lawyer joke ... and the best show ever, Arrested Development

I got a nice promotion at work and my new office will look out at the Westwood Wegmans!

Congrats!

:LOL: is it a corner office?... You can't be a CEO without a corner office and surrounding windows! :LOL:

Congrats, windows or not!

I remember Loblaws in Niagara Falls when I was a kid, Loblaws and A&P were the only game in town, until Tops Friendly Markets ran them out of town.

Congratulations!!!

Way to go jennyema! Congratulations.

Conga Rats

tenor.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom