What are the different types of pickling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I know that some types of pickles are fermented. What is the other kind called? Can someone explain the pros and cons of the different types?

I don't know if I've ever had fermented pickles. Most of my pickle experience is from store bought pickles and the occasional pickle on a restaurant sandwich.

I prefer the taste of cucs that are pickled using a salt brine. Vinegar pickling generally produces a more shelf stable product. I consume our pickled green tomatoes so quickly that I get away with pickling them in a salt brine.
My grandmother had a heavy hand with the vinegar and produced pickled green tomatoes that lasted a very long time; mostly because they were to sour to eat in any quantity.

Last edited:
The other kind is called "Quick Pickles" and consists of a vineger-based brine solution that is heated to a boil and poured over the raw vegetable/cucumber in a canning jar, then processed in a boiling water bath.

The fermented method results in a better tasting end product but takes longer to produce. Lacto-fermentation is a slightly faster fermentation process.

There is also the "uncooked" refrigerator pickle which results in a very crisp pickle since there is no cooking or processing that would damage the cell structure.

Fermented pickles: What sold me on fermented pickles was the taste.
You can try a fermented pickle with this company which I believe is nationwide now--usually found in mini-marts/gas stations some grocery stores and tractor supply stores.
Van Holten's, Original Pickle-In-A-Pouch.
(I'm not affiliated with them in any way---they just have a great product.)

My favorite is the standard Dill or Dill with garlic pickle. Do a taste test between a fermented Dill compared to a jar dill pickle and you'll decide which you like the best.

Back
Top Bottom