What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry for your ordeal, Cheryl, and big hugs to you! I can understand how difficult it is to arrange care long-distance, you feel so helpless.

We're glad you're back, we missed you!

Thanks so much to those of you who messaged me with such kind words this past week! :wub:

I've been MIA for a while, it's been a sad and busy past couple of weeks. My uncle up in the Sacramento area wasn't feeling well and went into the hospital the end of April. I couldn't make that long drive by myself so my daughter and I were planning a trip up there to see him but she's got a husband and 3 little ones, 2 of which were still in school, so timing was an issue. Fortunately, my wonderful SIL took off work and stayed home with the kids, so it was just she and I on the trip without having to worry about the littles.

My uncle got much worse very quickly and passed away before we were able to get up there. He had pancreatic cancer. :( It's a 7 hour drive one way from here.

We were up there for a week with my aunt, and helping her with whatever we could, and just got home a few days ago. Cancer SO sucks - he was 86, healthy and fit, working out on his treadmill twice a day and still an active member of the Senior Hikers Group in his town. They were world travelers and used to being on the go. My aunt Mary Ann has gone downhill fast - dementia is setting in and I've been on the phone several times a day trying to arrange for in home care for her which she needs immediately. But she is adamant that she doesn't need it. She only has one other relative who is able to help get the ball rolling on her care, but she's also several hundred miles away in the other direction - in Nevada up by the Idaho border.

My Aunt Mary Ann goes to bed around 7 and takes a 3 hour nap during the day, so on a lighter note, my daughter and I were able to get in some sightseeing of the beautiful Mother Lode country up in NoCal. We ate at delicious little mom and pop restaurants and got extra to take to Mary Ann for her dinner. We took a little side trip to Lake Tahoe on the way home and had lunch at a little picnic table on the shores of that beautiful lake and watched the boats go by.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading this far. :) I'm stuck between doing whatever I can do long distance, and knowing that there is only so much I CAN do. It's good to be back here. :)

Cheryl, I think it is safe to say, that most of us have experienced what you are going through right now. I am so sorry you lost your uncle. You are so right when you say cancer SUCKS! It certainly does. Both my daughter and her husband are survivors of cancer. One with Non-Hodgekin's and my daughter with brain cancer. It is too bad your uncle wasn't one of the survivor's. It stinks when they don't hold on until you get there. But at least his pain is now gone.

Hang in there and here's hoping that your aunt gets the care she is going to need. I am sure you know that the biggest danger for Alzheimer patients is cooking their meals. Have you considered Meals on Wheels for her?

Take care of yourself. You are doing all you can. :angel:

Thank you so much, Dawg, GG, and Addie. I remember back a few years ago Dawg, when you were going through this with your mom. Arranging for care long distance isn't easy. :ohmy:

GG, thank you. It's good to be back and I have a lot of catching up to do. :)

Thanks Addie....I know you've gone through this, too. The Meals on Wheels suggestion is a good one, but she needs in home care. That's the tough part.

So sorry Cheryl, talk to your Aunt's local Council on Aging/Senior Center and find what resources there are in the community, they are a font of knowledge. The local hospital may have home care services, also.

So sorry for your ordeal, Cheryl, and big hugs to you! I can understand how difficult it is to arrange care long-distance, you feel so helpless.

We're glad you're back, we missed you!

What Dawg said. ((hugs))

I am still trying to wind down from a sports high. Never in a zillion years did I think that the Cleveland Cavaliers could come from a 3-1 playoff deficit to tying up the championship series. It's all-or-nuthin' on Sunday. I said to Himself after the game "they play the last game on Sunday - wouldn't it be cool if they won the championship for Father's Day?" He said "but I don't even like basketball". When I told our daughter this (because, of course, she DID call me right after the game was over :LOL: ) she said "but he likes me, and the Cavs winning it all would make me happy. Wouldn't that be a nice Father's Day?" I like the way the kid thinks...;)

Thanks so much to those of you who messaged me with such kind words this past week! :wub:

I've been MIA for a while, it's been a sad and busy past couple of weeks. My uncle up in the Sacramento area wasn't feeling well and went into the hospital the end of April. I couldn't make that long drive by myself so my daughter and I were planning a trip up there to see him but she's got a husband and 3 little ones, 2 of which were still in school, so timing was an issue. Fortunately, my wonderful SIL took off work and stayed home with the kids, so it was just she and I on the trip without having to worry about the littles on a 7 hour drive one way.

My uncle got much worse very quickly and passed away before we were able to get up there. He had pancreatic cancer. :(

We were up there for a week with my aunt, and helping her with whatever we could, and just got home a few days ago. Cancer SO sucks - he was 86, healthy and fit, working out on his treadmill twice a day and still an active member of the Senior Hikers Group in his town. They were world travelers and used to being on the go. My aunt Mary Ann has gone downhill fast - dementia is setting in and I've been on the phone several times a day trying to arrange for in home care for her which she needs immediately. But she is adamant that she doesn't need it. She only has one other relative who is able to help get the ball rolling on her care, but she's also several hundred miles away in the other direction - in Nevada up by the Idaho border.

My Aunt Mary Ann goes to bed around 7 and takes a 3 hour nap during the day, so on a lighter note, my daughter and I were able to get in some sightseeing of the beautiful Mother Lode country up in NoCal. We ate at delicious little mom and pop restaurants and got extra to take to Mary Ann for her dinners. We took a little side trip to Lake Tahoe on the way home and had lunch at a little picnic table on the shores of that beautiful lake and watched the boats go by.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading this far. :) I'm stuck between doing whatever I can do long distance, and knowing that there is only so much I CAN do. It's good to be back here. :)

I'm very sorry for your loss Cheryl.
Your uncle knew that you loved him. That's all he needed.

Glad your back. Get some rest.

Thank you so very much, Princess, CG, Munky, and Andy. Your kind words mean a lot to me. I think we have it handled. Now to get that sweet but stubborn lady to realize she needs help. :ohmy:

So...enough of that....what the heck is everyone doing these days? :LOL: I pulled a bunch of ripe tomatoes today, and what I can't eat are going to be seasoned and roasted tomorrow. :yum:

Hot here. Yesterday I checked one of my blueberry bushes. I found a perfectly ripe berry, and ate it. There was a bunch more berries that just needed a day or two to ripen. Looked at the bush today, and every stinkin' ripe and almost ripe blueberry was gone! :mad:

Not sure if it's birds or groundsquirrels, but they could have at least shared.

Dawg, could you put a cheesecloth netting over the bushes? I know that's what the blueberry farms in OH do to keep the birds away, although I've never noticed that being used up here. Don't know if it would work with ground-rats, though.

This calls for a glass of wine, oops, I don't have anymore, oh well...
That's OK, I'll have one for ya. ;)

CG, the one year I put netting over the BBs, something got every single BB, green or ripe. I have better luck leaving the bushes uncovered. My other bush won't be ripe for a few weeks, and it's loaded. Hopefully I'll get a few!

We have so much wildlife out here, I just don't bother trying to deter them anymore.

We're sitting out on the patio under the umbrella with solar lighting, listening to the Cyndi Lauper station on Pandora. Nice.

Attachments

• 1466303793199.jpg
    1466303793199.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1466303805405.jpg
    1466303805405.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 92
Angel Flight

Flew a patient from San Luis Obispo to Santa Monica for treatment of malignant Melanoma. Had to detour around the Sherpa Fire near Santa Barbara.
Hotter than heck, even at 6500 feet!

Back
Top Bottom