What are you cooking at the moment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meryl

Senior Cook
"Spaghetti c'a pummarola ncopp'" (with fresh parsley)

The easiest, quickest, tastiest pasta dish.
I'm sure no translation required😀.

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_130421.jpg
    IMG_20240412_130421.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 18
I had to look that up. I make something like that on a regular basis. I never knew it had a name. I never even had a recipe. It is something I just throw together. I learned something new.

CD

I had to look it up too!

It looks delicious and would be wonderful in late summer when there is an abundance of fresh tomatoes.

My family’s simple sauce was based on Marcella Hazon’s recipe.

2 cups peeled and roughly chopped fresh tomatoes with their juice or a 16-28 can of good quality tomatoes.

5 T butter

1 medium peeled yellow onion*

A dash of sugar

Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer 30-45 minutes, remove onion, and serve.

*sticking a couple of whole cloves into the onion adds a nice flavor to the sauce.

Things like olive oil, red wine, and fresh basil were all strange and exotic ingredients to us when we were young. 🤭

I had to look that up. I make something like that on a regular basis. I never knew it had a name. I never even had a recipe. It is something I just throw together. I learned something new.

CD

Yes, in fact it is a dish that we just "throw together" when we don't have time or just want to eat light and simple, something anyone can do.
Obviously the choice of tomatoes makes a difference. Like @Aunt Bea says, it comes out best when using fresh tomatoes in Summer, especially the San Marzano ones, but cherry tomatoes and datterini are quite good too, and fresh basil.

That name is used typically in the Naples area.

Yes, in fact it is a dish that we just "throw together" when we don't have time or just want to eat light and simple, something anyone can do.
Obviously the choice of tomatoes makes a difference. Like @Aunt Bea says, it comes out best when using fresh tomatoes in Summer, especially the San Marzano ones, but cherry tomatoes and datterini are quite good too, and fresh basil.

That name is used typically in the Naples area.

The one kind of fresh tomato that I can get in the grocery stores in North Texas that are consistently good are cherry tomatoes. They are imported from Mexico, and are sweet and full of flavor.

I grow my own basil, and use it a lot.

CD

th

Yeah, I had a can of Mutti cherry tomatoes, a first for me with la Molisana capelli d'angelo which is a bronze extruded nested capellini, which I'm preferring to there normal capellini along with onion, garlic, and fresh oregano and some basil and a few saracena brined olives and of course lots of olive oil, grated parm and some malden sea salt and fresh pepper.

Last edited:

CD
I'll second this. When I read the recipe, I immediately recognized all the steps and ingredients because it's my go-to sauce for pasta and it's so much better than jarred stuff. So I've apparently been making this recipe for a long time without realizing it was even a recipe. :innocent:

"gnocchetti sardi" (malloreddus) with prawns and zucchini. Typical Sardinian recipe.

P. S. Finished dish will follow soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_131430.jpg
    IMG_20240413_131430.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 12
Sorry, forgot to take a photo of a nice big portion, this is what's left, in a little plate! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_205836.jpg
    IMG_20240413_205836.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom