What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm exhausted and my knees are abolutely killing me. We grocery shopped today, 3 stores, then came home, unloaded, unpacked. Sat down for a few,then started cooking dinner, minestrone for 1 night next week and freezer, and made K-girls carrot cake. Just got finished cleaning up dishes, except for a couple that need to soak and am having some amaretto. The crumbs of the cake tasted really good, haven't tried the frosted version yet, but I'm sure it will be great given the taste tests i had while finishing it.

Waiting for Mom to finish up in the bathroom so I can give her her Mother's Day present - a Roku!

Hope all the Moms in here have a very Happy Mother's Day.

We thought my FIL was doing better at feeding himself since my MIL's health crisis left her needing full-time nursing care (he's in his late 70s and never had to cook for himself before). However, last night after dinner, he made a point of showing us that he was down to one frozen meal we had made from the last time we did a marathon cooking session for him, so I guess we'll be doing that again.

So I'm about to make a list of meals we can make in quantity in the next couple of days that will freeze well, and then make a grocery list of what we will need. This is the fifth or sixth time we've done this since she went into the nursing home about 18 months ago, so I have a TNT list of foods he likes.

I hope that works out well you and your FIL...

In my late 70's now, while I don't often think about it, I fear there will come a time I can't cook for us.. Jeannie doesn't cook and I worry about her having decent meals.. Top ramen and soup is fine if I'm away a few days but, not as a main diet..

Ross

I spent yesterday helping my dad get a new car to replace the one he totaled last week. Mom wanted him to get an SUV, dad wasn't thrilled about that. He bought an Audi Q5, which is more of a crossover, so it drives like a car, but makes my mom happy, too.

Today, chores at the parent's house, and cooking MD dinner this evening.

CD

We thought my FIL was doing better at feeding himself since my MIL's health crisis left her needing full-time nursing care (he's in his late 70s and never had to cook for himself before). However, last night after dinner, he made a point of showing us that he was down to one frozen meal we had made from the last time we did a marathon cooking session for him, so I guess we'll be doing that again.

So I'm about to make a list of meals we can make in quantity in the next couple of days that will freeze well, and then make a grocery list of what we will need. This is the fifth or sixth time we've done this since she went into the nursing home about 18 months ago, so I have a TNT list of foods he likes.

GG, do they have Meals On Wheels in their area? It is a free service for the elderly and are made according to their dietary needs and likes. At least that is how they do it here. They get two meals a day. Lunch and supper.

I am spending Mother's Day cleaning my home top to bottom. All I have left to do are the kitchen and big room floors. They laundry is washing right now. And if I still have any energy left after the floors, I want to wash my two windows.

GG, do they have Meals On Wheels in their area? It is a free service for the elderly and are made according to their dietary needs and likes. At least that is how they do it here. They get two meals a day. Lunch and supper.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use it. He's financially comfortable and still drives - he has both a car and a van, in fact - so getting food is not the problem. He just doesn't know how to put together meals and isn't comfortable in the kitchen, so he ends up with a lot of fast food or other prepared meals. He does fine for breakfast and doesn't eat lunch, so dinner is the only thing he needs help with. Thanks for the thought, though.

I am packing up my desk today and packing suitcases with clothes and linens. We can leave our clothes in the dressers but I would rather put the number of suitcases we have to good use for the hanging items than pay for the movers to use their wardrobe containers.

5 days to possession, 6 days to move-in!

Yes, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use it. He's financially comfortable and still drives - he has both a car and a van, in fact - so getting food is not the problem. He just doesn't know how to put together meals and isn't comfortable in the kitchen, so he ends up with a lot of fast food or other prepared meals. He does fine for breakfast and doesn't eat lunch, so dinner is the only thing he needs help with. Thanks for the thought, though.

GG, perhaps he would use a service like this that's available in our area. The prepared hot meals sound like the high quality you would make to freeze for him. Since he's financially able to handle the expense, it might be a good solution for all of you. Anyway, you might want to check if something like this is in his area. Look it over. :flowers:
Current Menus - The Silver Pantry

GG, perhaps he would use a service like this that's available in our area. The prepared hot meals sound like the high quality you would make to freeze for him. Since he's financially able to handle the expense, it might be a good solution for all of you. Anyway, you might want to check if something like this is in his area. Look it over. :flowers:
Current Menus - The Silver Pantry
Thanks, Kay, I'll check it out. He's in a fairly rural area, although the nearby town has grown since they retired out here. So there may be something similar.

You are welcome. Unfortunately a lot of elderly folks don't get enough nutrition. Partly because their legs don't allow them to stand for the time it takes to make a nutritious meal, or they simply do not know how to cook.

It looks like he is going to be the beneficiary of your generosity and love for him. You are a good daughter.

Hope you enjoy your time with the in-laws and that you are able to get the meals fixed that he likes in quantities that will help him out until the next time you are able to visit.

3 down 3 to go. We had a nice party for him. Dad smoked a brisket and some pork loins. My Ex and I got along. My mom stayed over Saturday night. So I made mothers day breakfast for everyone then took them out for supper. Spen my entire 2 week allowance. Oh well it was worth it. FB_IMG_1494863401852.jpg

My break time is over. Time I got back to washing the window frames and glass in the rest of the upstairs windows. I wash, Himself wrangles the screens into the frames. My job takes longer, but his part is more aggravating. My BP doesn't need me dealing with aggravating...over and above dealing with Himself. :whistling: :wub:

Im crying, I am in so much pain from working that nothing works anymore. I just want to sleep and cant lay down or do anything and I need to work tomorrow. What is my pay for working? A roll with ham and cup of tea and a slim chance of maybe getting disability pay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom