What are your garden plans for 2021?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never even heard of them until now.
Thanks for the read.
As far as I know, I just have regular earth worms.

I just heard about them. They sound like a disaster waiting to happen. I saw a video by some forester who was horrified to see what they did to a forest.

Have any of you found any jumping worms? They are an invasive form of earth worm that damages the soil. Here's an article about them from Smithsonian Magazine: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...ing-worms-have-spread-15-us-states-180977566/

I am not ready for jumping worms! Seriously. :ermm:

I picked a second colander of string beans and have several more cucumbers today. One row of beans is played out so I pulled them up. Looking at the leaves, I wondered whether they were edible. (Since I found pepper leaves are edible, I always wonder!) Apparently they are. I've never made anything out of them and wondered whether anyone else had!

I haven't seen those jumping worms here, just reference to them a few times in garden forums. Unfortunately, those SLFs are here, but fortunately, another almost local invasive insect, hasn't shown up here - the Alium Leaf Miner. It's up in Trenton area, and just over in Lancaster, so I watch for it closely.

Kathleen, It's amazing some of the foods that Asians have found to eat, from many of the plants that they grow for other things. Beans, peas, squash, melons, and some peppers - the new shoots and the tendrils can be cut from the vines, and used in various dishes. Full sized leaves probably aren't as edible as the shoots, but they aren't poisonous. I always dig them into the ground, or compost them.

The first time ( and only time) I saw Squash tendrils ( specifically from the Cucuzza squash) being sold for consumption was eat the Union Square Farmers Market in NYC a few years back. I remember looking at all the produce and coming across them. Being a gardener, I knew exactly what it was , but only at that moment did I know you can eat them. Didnt purchase them, as I was in the city for a few days and had no where to really store them, but when I got home I researched it to double check. I also remember a recipe I had made in the past. Im not sure if it was and African or Egyptian recipe, but it called for pumpkin leaves. Couldn't have been that great or I would remember it and have made it again. But, always willing to try new things.

Just got in some more seeds ( carrots , string beans, cukes, dill, arugula). Going by last years notes, I started them a little earlier. Cukes and beans will depend non what kinda September we have, but I have the seeds available and last year it worked out, so why not. The next round wont be for another few weeks when I start with some of the late crop leafy greens.

I may order a few cabbages, broccoli if they're available. I have mixed results starting them from seed, so Ill probably just get seedlings as I did in the early spring. That seemed to have worked out well this year.

So, halfway through the season I've already had a few lessons learned to carry over to next year.

1) I will grow less Cuke vines than I have in he past. It seems the fewer, less crowded vines are producing nearly as much as the many crowded Ive planted in the past.
2) I will likely grow less varieties of tomatoes ( still same amount of plants). I've been keeping a close eye for the past few years on varieties that either taste better or produce more. Ill be cutting out the varieties that are at the bottom of the list.
3) Amending the garlic soil, once again, for better drainage. In addition not planting as deep.
4) Onions , repeating whatever I did this year. Although room for improvement, it was the best onion year Ive had as far as percentage of decent sized onions.
5) I built a new zucchini bed this year. I planted them in both the old location and the new location. The new location has produced much more, so now that I know they do well in the spot, im going to discontinue in the old location.
6) Peas also exceptional, when compared to previous years. Ill repeat what I did this year.
7) Potatoes, with about 2/3 the potatoes harvest, good year. Not necessarily the biggest potatoes, but all in all aa good year. I used to leave them in the ground and use them as needed until fall then harvest them all. Now that Ive figured out ways to store them long term ( pierogi, frozen fries, frozen shredded for hash browns ...) I will do more of that, freeing up garden space for late season crops to get more use out of the land.
9) Peppers and eggplants doing well. I made cut back a little cause now with it just being my wife and I, I really dont need as many as Im growing ( I still have some marinated/ grilled peppers in the freezer from last year, and some diced frozen in the frizzer too).
10) String beans surprisingly disappointing. Most would consider it a good year, but for me, compared to the past, after the first picking or two, the plants just stopped producing. Could be the weather pattern. because of such good success in the past, Ill continue what Ive done in the pasta and hope for the best.
11) Chard , lettuce, arugula, radishes also did very well. In a few weeks will be replanting most of them for late season crop.
12) Carrots also did better than usual. I plant them where I can , when I can, but dont want them to take up space for more productive crops.
12) Beets Im done with. My radishes were bigger than they were. For the 2 times a year I use them, Ill rely on store bought.
13) The succession planting really worked out. Aa little nerve racking, and requires a lot of planning, but I definitely made the use of every square inch at a all times this year. Since I keep relatively good notes, it will make it easier for next year, as for the most part, I have it all planned out ( with a few minor improvements).
14) Finally, cabbage and broccoli did well when I had them in individual pots and was able to keep a close eye on insect control. Im not crazy about crops that only really proceed once taking up space in the garden. With them in pots on the patio, Ive eliminated that ( and they really did well too).
15) Okra Im still on th event. I put them in a new raised bed , same locations as I used to plant them in large pots. They have some kind of pest on them ( whcih ive never had before). Because they are isolated im going to see what I can do to get rid of the pests. Plants just started flowering the other day ( which is a good week + later than last year).
16) As far as wild life goes, The sunflowers are in full bloom, attracting the American Goldfinches. And all the flowers I planted to attract humming birds finally paid off. They seem to be coming regularly now. The leaf cutter bees love the sunflowers. On a sunny day you can see them buzzing back and forth from flower to flower.
17) Exotics or at least exotic or unique to me: Have one pomegranate that has taken along with one persimmon. Dont know if they will fully ripen, but fingers are crossed. Ive been babying these plants for 3 years. Got a few watermelons, just got to figure out when they are ripe. Luckily they have developed early this year, so there is more than enough time for them to ripen. Still haven't roasted the the coffee beans I got last year, and no new beans this year. YUZU citrus has taken. Hoping for a pineapple and bananas this year. No sign of fruiting though. both come inside for the winterer. The pineapples is due. Ive only had a banana flower once, and it flowered mid to late September with no time to mature. The current one is a dwarf variety in a pot, so im hoping it flowers soon while outside, then I can bring it in to develop. ( the other one that flowered was 10_ feet high in the ground ( its sister plant was closer to 15 feet). I've since retired from bringing those beasts in and out for the winter to hibernate.

Lets up the second half of the season is as good , if not better than the first.

Whow! Larry, 2:45 am, quite a nice write up and inventory!

I'll say this, the zucchini leaves, the pumpkin leaves, they will get tender and 'do' for greens in a pinch, and nutritiously, A+ but for texture and taste like other greens (collards, or kale, or beet greens), just a C-.

I tried Linden leaves to wrap some dolmades last week. They are nutritiously an A+ too, but they take quite a while to chew and they are not tender, they are tough. I ate them but it wasn't that enjoyable.

I'm making plans with friends now, to share flower seeds, with pictures and expand some of my echinacea colored cone flowers. Mine are light pink, but I'm getting a redder one, and a white one. I love the greenery and the pop of the flowers and they are medicinal and perennial.

gardenmid-July21-030.jpg

We are JUST getting zucchini and cucumbers, and all the tomatoes are green so far. I will be so happy to have tomatoes to eat every day aug-sept-oct. I harvested the garlic at around the 15th of July, they look good. We look forward to this time of year starting in january! Not the heat, but the fresh produce.

We're going to put in more cherry trees, no more plum trees, they get a fungal disease and are difficult, so we're done with those. We have a big crop of apples and pears coming this fall. Yippee!

You have a lot more planned for next year already than I do, Larry!

I only have a few things planned, so far, mainly just based on the keeper and non-keeper varieties, though still a while to go to decide, for many things. I'll definitely grow less cherry tomatoes next year - had too many varieties this season! The cukes come quickly, but die off, so I might do successive planting of 2 at a time. And I'm getting a new pack of County Fair seeds, for sure. Less lettuce at a time, too, as I got too much of those, and there's only so much I use, and give away little.
Celeriac is another new one I'm going to try, and I'm just starting some unusual white rutabaga seeds a fellow sent me last season, and this time I will cover them, as some pest enjoyed them last season! I'm going to try cauliflower again, even though I have not had luck with many varieties in the past.

It's been 4 years since I grew lemongrass, and I won't grow it again for a few years. I still have a little in the freezer - keeps indefinitely in vacuum seal. I'll probably look into some way of using the old as an insect repellent or insecticide!

This year I started my lemongrass stalks in some water on 4-14 - I remember I bought it the day before, because I had an appt. that day right up the street, from the Korean market, where I bought it! Now, just a little over 3 months later, here's the 4 plants (actually 3 - one is out of the photo). Those sage and rosemary plants behind are quite large, but these are already dwarfing those, and still have over 3 months, before I have to dig them up!
Lemongrass, in front of some large sage and rosemary plants. 7-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thanks for reminding me, gotta get those rutabaga seeds planted.
Planted them last year but a little too late.
Planted them again this year in the spring with modest success.

Ive planted lemon grass multiple times in the past, as kind of an 'Ornamental Grass' that has culinary function. It did very well as far as overall size goes, but the stalks were significantly thinner than store bought.

Surprisingly my cuke vines are still producing and look healthy. Last year I ripped them up on July 26th ( Due to Bacteria Wilt affecting like 75% of them. Im guessing Ill get another few weeks out of them. My second planting just started to produce which is a combo of Country fair and Wisconsin 58(planed separately so I can monitor there progress, pros and cons), and third planting just got into the ground. Honestly, I just made another 7 quarts of pickles ( Refrigerator this time around), I dont know why Im growing more cukes. Im actually starting to get sick of them, bringing in bunches at a time to work to share. That being said, I consider this 2nd planting more of an experiment on second planting timing, and variety checking to see if they meet my pickling standards ( having a science background, everything is an experiment to me. I cant help but take notes, and keep stats.). And the third planting? who knows why.

Last year I made 40 quarts of pickles ( the year before 70 quarts. This year Im going for 41 just to beat last year ( im already at 38 as of this morning). After that, I have a Polish friend at work who makes pickles and her garden isn't as productive, so Ill be her cuke supplier.

Planted rutabaga seeds in cells and directly in the ground. Also some spinach. Just ordered some Saffron Crocus Bulbs. Apparently you plant them late summer and they bloom in the fall. Not expecting much but I've always been curious to try it.

Wow! Some great plans and great gardens! Since we moved to the PNW, we've not done anything in the way of edibles in our outside gardens. Our season is shorter than So Cal, and conflicts with our camping trips. We do have an apple tree, a pear tree and a few cherry trees too.

That said, in 2020 I decided to try my hand at hydroponic gardening! This would allow me to garden in the non-camping months and I wanted to have fresh herbs for cooking. Homegrown are so much better than store bought...and they last longer too! It is great to have them just a few steps away and I need only pick what I need right now. Most of my gardens are shut down for the summer. All I have growing are 4 Genovese Basil plants and 1 Curly Parsley plant. 3 of the Basil are planned as a gift, 1 is a backup and there was still room, so I planted a parsley too.
2mhEWVo

After our next/last camping trip for this year, I plan to start up more gardens for Cherry Tomatoes (Golden Harvest, Mega Cherry, Orange Hat, Micro Tom), other tomatoes (Bush Champion, Container Roma), peppers (NuMex Orange Spice Jalapeno, Pumpkin Spice Jalapeno), more herbs (Basil, of course, Rosemary, Parsley Cilantro, Chives, Sage, Seasoning Celery any maybe Oregano), lettuce (arugula, some kind of bibb, Lollo Rossa Romaine, Red Sails). I'll grow some flowers in the kitchen, just because they are pretty and I'm going to try my hand at microgreens and sprouts to top salads and sandwiches! Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it...LOL ;)

Ginny, I have chives in my garden. The only thing I do is pull out any weeds that try to grow there. I only do that once in a while, maybe once a month. I used to grow parsley. It also didn't really need any care. It's a biennial, so it goes to seed the second year. Eventually, it just came back every year, in both first year and second year versions. I guess some seeds were sprouting after a year had gone by. That also got very little care. I wasn't well for a while, so eventually, the parsley patch got overrun by some of my flowers. It's not that I have a lot of flowers, but some of them spread a lot.

So, my suggestion for you is to grow parsley and chives. There may be some other herbs and maybe even vegis, that will happily grow with weeks of neglect at a time.

Thank you Taxlady! I think I may have shortened my story a bit too much. Besides camping activities, there are other concerns. At this point, I would have to have raised garden beds and enclosures for same. #1 is my knees, they have both decided that gardening on my knees is not for me anymore! Additionally, we live out in the country and there are lots of country critters. Rabbits galore, along with moles, voles and mice. Lots of other critters too, but the listed ones are the biggest bother for gardening efforts. Plus, I want to have the fresh supplies when we are home most: Autumn, Winter, Spring. My indoor gardening efforts give me something to do, something that is fun, and something that is tasty too! It is a win-win.

Although, this past June, I did put one garden, that had dozens and dozens of not yet ripe cherry tomatoes, into "vacation mode" and it survived our 10 day absence! And gave us a great bounty to return to, too! So, it is doable, to have them go thru the summer, but I'm just not ready to have the full setup going and be gone?

While I don't live in the country now, I did. I never found that the local wild life ate my herbs. There was just that danged moose that would dance in the herb garden. It stomped on just about all the herbs with its huge feet.

Now, I live in the 'burbs. Squirrels and ground hogs are the major wild life pests for me. i simply can't grow tomatoes and expect to get any. The chives and parsley that I mentioned, nothing has bothered them yet. I just remembered what does deter squirrels. Cut an onion into rings. Separate the rings so one onion can be spread further. Spread the onion rings around any plants that might be attacked by squirrels. The squirrels seem to hate the smell of raw onion. The onion keeps the squirrels away until they dry up. Once the onion pieces are dry, replace them.

I don't do much in the garden nowadays. I certainly don't want to get down on my knees. I'm too old for that nonsense. I can do everything with the chives by briefly bending over. i don't spend enough time on them to have to get down on my knees.

Last edited:
Squirrels aren't much of a problem on our hill. I see them in other parts of the county, but here, there are too many birds of prey, squirrels aren't a problem. Now deer, I didn't mention them earlier, the deer are a royal pain! There's not much that they don't want to either eat or sleep on! :ohmy:

You're an ambitious gardener, Ginny - you'll fit right in here! What is your usual lowest temp there in the winter?

Here are some of my experiences with herbs. I have some perennials - sage, rosemary, sweet marioram, Syrian oregano (thyme scented), tarragon, chives, and garlic chives. Rosemary is usually only hardy to around 20°f, maybe a little below, briefly - otherwise, it needs covered, or grown in a large pot, and brought in. Sweet marjoram and Syrian oregano hardy into the teens, cut down to the ground, but I take cuttings, just in case, and root them. Once, we got into the single digits, so I put a trash can over each crown, weighed down with bricks, and they survived. Regular oregano is more hardy, but also spreads more, and some consider it an invasive weed! You might want to put that in a container. And if you want to grow garlic chives, be forewarned - they re-seed and spread relentlessly! I had them in my herb bed, with regular chives, but they spread so quickly that I dug them out (and pulled those remaining as weeds, for a few years), and planted them behind my shed! I have 11 clumps of them, and they want to keep spreading. I don't know why the regular chives don't do this, as they also flower a lot, every spring (which are good in a lot of things!). Oh, I almost forgot about the mint patch - surrounded by concrete, so it can't spread, which it does, relentlessly! Grow isolated, or in a container. I have never had this killed by cold, even just below 0°, the one time it did that here.

The annual herbs I plant a lot in windowsill boxes (Jr Earthboxes), around my deck. I usually have a small cluster of regular chives, a curly parsley (flat-leaf I put in the herb bed, as it gets too many roots, for here, or hydroponics), which I start by seed in containers (in the herb bed, it re-seeds itself eventually), and dill I put in several places (re-seeds, too, and I get a lot of volunteers).

I also grow in deep-water hydroponics, in the off-season, so that I can have some of the herbs, as well as greens, year-round. For these, and those windowsill boxes, a smaller variety is better, instead of the larger varieties. Serrata and Gefo Fure are the two best I have found, and Siam Queen, for Thai basil. And for these, red epazote, and peppermint, I find the best way to get them for the inside, then again, for the outside, is to root the cuttings - much faster than starting seeds!

Something you might want to look into, for your higher up gardening - sub-irrigated planters. Something I have a lot of, along with two raised beds. Here is a photo from a couple of years ago, showing a number of them, how high off the ground they are, and how high the trellises start.
Line of 12 tomato plants, 5-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Good luck with your growing, and all your cooking with the results!

Last edited:
Wow! Great gardens and great pictures, pepperhead212! You are far more ambitious than I am! Thank you for sharing and the details too. I'll keep this in mind for future planning. Our temps are not too extreme here, but we're up on a hill so we do get a tad colder than lower elevations. Most years, in the 30's, with an occasional dip into the 20's. Always cold enough that we have to winterize things, especially the RV, if it isn't plugged in!

For now, I'm happy to stick with my indoor hydroponics efforts. I've got quite an investment in the units and can't wait to get back into gardening once the camping season comes to a close. I love having them so close to the kitchen. Just a few steps to grab herbs for cooking or greens and tomatoes for salads and sandwiches.

Some day, in another time and place, I'll enjoy outdoor gardening again. Fingers crossed. I would love to have raised beds or even a green house!

Last edited:
Yesterday did some tree branch trimming by the garden. Didnt realize how far they were leaning over the garden ( and blocking the sun) until this past heavy rain ( 3 - 6 inches in 24 hours). The fruit on the tree weighted it down and it covers 1/4 th garden. Anyway, got that done and ripped up some old, unproductive string beans. Cut back the chard and replanted it in areas that allow I to be harvestable deep into the winter. In place of the string beans and chard I planted a few different varieties of kale, spinach , lettuce, radishes and arugula ( a week earlier than I did last year which my notes said I should do). Ripped up the 2nd planting of cukes which are un productive. Soon ill be amending my garlic bed soil ( again) for better drainage ( In addition to not planting them as deep) to hopefully solve my garlic issues. Planted some cabbage an kohlrabi plants that I just got delivered ( in large pots). Had really good success in the spring, hopefully my luck carries out this fall. Also getting the area ready for shallots and potato onions for when they come in. ( Looks like my shiitake logs are going to produce another batch of shrooms, which reminds me, I saw a few oak logs on he side of the road after the last storm, I got to go and get them so I can inoculate more logs for mushrooms , before someone else takes them for firewood.

Today I cleaned up some stuff out there, then I planted the remaining fall seedlings I planted a few weeks ago. I had already planted the lettuce and endive in the boxes around the deck, so they are easy to harvest.

Today I transplanted 5 Swiss chard, 3 bok choy, 3 purple napa, 2 senposai, 1 komatsuna, 4 red kale, 4 red cabbage, 4 mixed cauliflower, and 11 kolibri kohlrabi. Some of the greens will be somewhat productive in 30 days, and well into November, some into December.

I might plant some shallots in the spring, instead of the fall - I've had mixed results with the fall plantings. And I may plant some in a raised bed, to see if they do better.

I might plant some shallots in the spring, instead of the fall - I've had mixed results with the fall plantings. And I may plant some in a raised bed, to see if they do better.

Ive only planted them in the spring ( once or twice) with fair results. Im giving the fall planting a try before giving up on them. I just dont want to waste space on something thats not going to thrive.

Trying ' Potato Onions" too more out of curiosity than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom