What do you do with your nutmeg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Hello, and hope the new year is being good to u.

I do not know how to use nutmeg creatively.
I just cant guess what it would taste good in, like I can do with other spices.
I just put it in things, when I read it, in a receipe.
So far, I have used it in white sauce and with root vegetables.

Anybody use it with something else?

Mel

Nutmeg: pot roasts - meat loaf - meatballs -- seafood- fried chicken - oyster stew - mushroom sauce - sweet salad dressings - beans - carrots - cauliflower -corn -onions - nut bread - coffee cakes - sweet rolls - custards - apple pie-
pumpkin pie - vanilla ice cream -hard sauce....here are a few suggestions.

I always use a pinch of it with sauteed mushrooms. Also in alfredo sauce. Always with parsnips.

I put it in my oatmeal cookies and Paul likes it sprinkled on his egg nog.

Broccoli Cheddar soup!!!! That is where I use it most... but then I make Broccoli Cheddar soup at least once a week!!!

Nutmeg adds a nice flavour when added in meatballs or meatloaf.
Also a perpetual ingredients in my curry spice mix.
Another thing, it goes real well with bechamelle sauce.

All of them though, needs to be used discreetly, not to the point to become overpowering, well as with all other spices of course!;)

I love to grind the little nutmegs over so many different foods! Italian food begs for it! I also add it to some of my beef recipes, for that added zing (try it in stroganoff). Also, nearly all apple goodies do well with an extra few grates.

Do remember though, that the powdered stuff they sell in the store doesn't much resemble the spicier, not as sweet flavor of grating the real thing.

nutmeg is wonderful in mashed potato, and as others have mentioned also, I use it often with spinach, bechamel sauce, and always on my baked rice pudding which forms a skin ( and which I adore with cooked dried apricots and cream:( :) )
Just make sure you use fresh grated, not the horrid pre grated stuff. I also much prefer it with apples as opposed to cinnamon, but thats a personal thing.

Wow Aria

I did not realise it would be good, in all those things.
I will be using netmeg a lot more, in future.
And i am going to get whole nut megs. I have a new thingy, for grinding.

Mel

Thanks everyone

Those are such good ideas. I was planning to be much more liberal, with the nutmeg, until I read Daisys warning. I think I will use a sprinkle here and there.

I think the reason, I could never work out what to put the nutmeg in, is because I only had the pre ground one. I will get the unground one. Then hopefully i will get more of a clue, about how it tastes.

Mel

I see it most often in cream sauces and desserts. Try grating a whole nutmeg instead of the jarred kind, it's much better.

urmaniac13 said:
Nutmeg adds a nice flavour when added in meatballs or meatloaf.
Also a perpetual ingredients in my curry spice mix.
Another thing, it goes real well with bechamelle sauce.

All of them though, needs to be used discreetly, not to the point to become overpowering, well as with all other spices of course!;)

Meatballs don't taste much like meatballs to me without nutmeg! For coffee lovers, try grating nutmeg into your coffee. It's a Kenyan coastal way of having coffee if it's freshly roasted. I don't do much coffee, at most 5 to 10 times a year mostly as Irish coffee or freshly roasted as mentioned.

Thank you Jikoni. I've tryed coffe like you advised but I added cinnamon too. Very very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom