What happened to Salami logs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelr

Assistant Cook
Recently, all I can find in the grocery is pre-sliced package salami. Why can't I buy salami logs any more?

I can buy them at every grocery store in town. Just go to the store's deli, and ask for one, or if you don't want a whole one, ask for however many inches of one that you want. You can do that with any deli meat or cheese.

CD

I can buy them at every grocery store in town. Just go to the store's deli, and ask for one, or if you don't want a whole one, ask for however many inches of one that you want. You can do that with any deli meat or cheese.

CD
Thanks CD. I guess I meant the smaller ones (1 lb and less). Yes, I can buy the 20# at the deli counter.

All of the stores in this area offer a variety of salami or beef stick summer sausages but most have given them artisanal sounding names to justify significantly higher prices. 😉🤭😂

I agree with all of the above. I find the logs usually at one end or the other of the sliced packages. and as Aunt Bea said they are now usually all wrapped up artisanal style.

Welcome to DC, joelr

Hebrew National stopped making the small salami logs for a long time. Then they started making them again for at least a little while. I haven't looked for them in a good bit. The deli still carries the huge logs though.

We used to buy the small logs all the time when we were still diving as I'd use them to make snacks of salami and cheddar slices, plus fruit and nuts of some kind to keep up our energy over multiple dives.

I saw the small logs again within the past year or so and bought for Craig to snack on. But, after a couple, he got tired of them and I was throwing too much of them away so quit buying.

I can get many small dry sausage logs here. Salami and sopressata are my favorites.

I can get many small dry sausage logs here. Salami and sopressata are my favorites.

Grocery stores that carry Boar's Head products usually have charcuterie sized salamis and dry sausages, both whole and pre-sliced.

CD

Back
Top Bottom