What's your favorite small kitchen gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always seen the microplane used so that the zest falls down, but the other day I saw someone use it so that the zest stays inside the lip - she was able to dump it right into a spoon and measure. I've been doing like that ever since then. I love my microplane also.

One of my favorites is one of the simplest. The flat metal 'scooper' to get whatever you just chopped like onions, garlic etc. and transfer it to bowl or pot.
And to be fair, love gadgets and would have every one going if I just had a thousand or so more square feet!
1. Large cake lifter.
2. Baking strips (what a difference they make)
3. Microplane shredder
4. Offset spreader. (don't know if thats the correct name but it's long narrow and offset and is great for frosting.[/QUOTE]

I would have to say my " V " slicer from BORNER, it is a german made mandolin with several different blades for slicing or julianne cuts. Benriner also makes a great mandoline that actually makes a very fine julianne. It makes great long thin strands of almost any veggie. Great for garnishing.

I also have a little ceramic grater that is great for grating fresh ginger.

I cant forget the " SILPAT " for bakeing anything and it wont stick.

Constance said:
Oh Goodness, I love kitchen gadgets. I even have a pickle/olive plucker with little expanding wires that makes it easy to get a pickle out of the jar. It's great for parties...people always get a good laugh out of it. It also works extremely well.
One of my favorite things is an old fashioned church key (cheap bottle bottle opener that they used to giver away at liquor stores, back when you had to really open your beer. I use the pointed can opener end (used to pierce the lids of things like evaporated milk), turning it upside down, to pop the seal on jars so I can open them more easily.
I have some old wooden handled meat forks from my grandmother that are much smaller than what you ordinarily see, and I use them for all sortws of things. I also have a pair of her stainless steel tongs that hang on better than any others I've ever used.
Love my baby food processer for chopping herbs...sure beats lugging out the big one. But the big one is a real cherry. My ex-MIL bought it for me when they first came out, almost 30 years ago. It weighs a ton, but it still does a great job.
We don't use the blender much, but when it's Margarita time, It's invaluable. Last May, we had a bunch of fresh strawberries, and after we'd had our fill of shortcake, it was party time.
One thing I'd really like to have is a mandoline, but my safety record with a knife is very poor, so my husband thinks it's a bad idea.

All in all, it's hard to pick my favorite gadget, because I use most everything I have...and I have a LOT!
But, I'd have to say my churchkey, electric can opener (tall, called the "Penguin", big stainless steel spoons and ladles, small acrylic spoons (the wooden ones are so germy), pairing knives, and Santoku knife (like Racheal's) are the ones I use most.
Ooops! Forgot the cutting boards. I've replaced the wooden ones with acylic for sanitary reasons, using a specified one for meats. They are about worn out now, and I need new ones.
My husband bought a great big cutting board that is made of some new miracle substance that looks like marble and is very heavy. We use it for carving the big hams, turkeys and pork butts. It doesn't even have any knife marks on it...I think it's going to last forever.

I have to agree with you, Constance.:)

I'm also a sucker for small kitchen gadgets, especially the Oxo products. But i don't know which one that i like the best, since I use them all, and they are very convenient.:chef:

1. Hot Shot... I'm a tea fanatic... things would take a long time without my hot shot.
2. I have this large and heavy wooden spoon I use for all my bread making that needs a spoon. I used to snap them left and right before I found this heavy one.
3. Ginseng cooker. This is a small little ceramic doubgle boiler basicly. It is used for herbs and teas.. and of course Ginseng...

I do not know what my problem is ronjohn, but I have NEVER been able to get the hang of those. I just can't get them to work for me :mad:

ronjohn55 said:
My lever action corkscrew (Like the wait staff use)... :angel:

John

I like this tool as well. I allows me to get closer to my wine. I still use an inexpensive version I picked up in a shop during a trip to the Sonoma Valley some years ago. I like that it has a built-in foil cutter.

My SO uses one of those openers with the wings you push down on. It always leaves the foil in shreds and then she tries to pick off enough of the foil to pour the wine.

I'm curious about theose Rabbit type openers. Does anyone have any experience with them?

GB said:
I do not know what my problem is ronjohn, but I have NEVER been able to get the hang of those. I just can't get them to work for me :mad:

I think the trick is to make sure that the corkscrew is all the way into the bottle,
then you must slowly ease the cork up out of the bottle.

If you try to get it out too fast, the cork could break in half, making it that much more difficult to remove.

~Corey123.

GB - I'm with Corey on the trick with them.

I've found with mine is that there's definite a "sweet spot" so to speak - I find I have to make sure that I get the corkscrew deep enough to properly grab the cork, but also not too deep so as to ruin the leverage of the opener. Of course with synthetic corks, the breaking is less of a problem. These days, I'm pretty much a pro with it. You know what they say, practice, practice, practice... :LOL:

John

I guess I have some bottles to go buy :)

I have tried different depths, but still it hasn't worked for me. I will just have to keep trying to find that sweet spot!

Corkscrews..... I've always had a problem with them as well. But no more! And I tell you this one I have dont cost much either. You will never have a problem with cork in the wine or anything. This corkscrew has two prongs. One longer then ther other. You put one prong on one side of the cork and ther other on the other side and you just wiggle them back and forth. Next thing you know both prrongs are on the bottom and you "unscrew" it.

Always giggle when my dad refuses to use it and gets all frustrated with the big corkscrew that looks like it cost a pretty penny as well as should work all the time thing. I guess mine looks just to simple to work.

Michael for a while my dad collected different types of corkscrews and wine bottle openers. The one you are describing was one of his favorites and I agree. It is so easy to use and does not damage the cork at all.

The kitchen gadgets I use the most are:
Potato Peeler...the old fashioned kind
Box grater
asst. stainless steel spoons, ladles and slotted strainers
cheese slicer...cheap old fashioned kind
silicone spoons and scrapers...the kind that take heat
Old fashioned potato masher

A few electric gadgets I love are my electric can opener (tall enough to open a coffe can, shaped like a penguin), a baby Cuisinart for grinding herbs, and a handmixer for when I don't want to drag out the Kitchen Aide.

Would like to have:
Wire Mesh strainer...all I have are colanders
Some tongs that really work
a good spatula for flipping eggs

Your K'Ad stand mixer should be in a more convenient location so that you won't have to lift it so often when you want or need to use it. They ARE heavy.

I lifted mine way up today to look under it for any dust, and boy, i thought that my left shoulder was going to come off because it hurt so badly! Like it was dislocated or something!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom