What's your take on protein powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a lot of nuance regarding protein intake. Protein powder will and does add to someones total protein intake, so not a waste of money in that context, it's also real so therefore it's a legitimate source of protein. I don't use protein powder and get my daily protein from mostly animal sources and I consume around 175g's a day.

Most Americans get more than enough protein in their normal diet. If you think you're not getting enough, protein powder is a good supplement, but it shouldn't be necessary unless you are an athlete or have certain illnesses. Too much protein can eventually cause kidney problems.

Most Americans get more than enough protein in their normal diet. If you think you're not getting enough, protein powder is a good supplement, but it shouldn't be necessary unless you are an athlete or have certain illnesses. Too much protein can eventually cause kidney problems.

+1

If anyone is interested in protein and it's relationship with human physiology then Don Layman is basically the goat. Here's a podcast with Peter Attia and they talk about it. It's long but it has many time stamps to zero in on a particular topic or interest. Talking about protein really starts around the 27 minute mark.

Last edited:
I add 1 scoop of whey protein powder to my breakfast shakes, which I drink almost every morning, along with ice, various frozen fruits, whole milk yogurt and milk to maintain a Zone Diet recommendation of 40-30-30.

I tried some "mega" high protein powder in my 20s as I was rather underweight and didn't want to just eat fatty food. Didn't put on an ounce! Probably I should have done some weight lifting at the same time.. oh well. It was pretty expensive, so I gave up. I eventually put on some weight in my late 30s and got to a healthy weight, so just age and nature did the necessary!

I tried some "mega" high protein powder in my 20s as I was rather underweight and didn't want to just eat fatty food. Didn't put on an ounce! Probably I should have done some weight lifting at the same time.. oh well. It was pretty expensive, so I gave up. I eventually put on some weight in my late 30s and got to a healthy weight, so just age and nature did the necessary!
Yeah, protein doesn't really have a storage capacity within the body and is either used as building blocks for muscles, bones, skin, cartilage, and blood. Additionally, proteins form enzymes and hormones, contribute to the immune system, and aid in tissue growth and repair then lastly for energy or excreted through urea in urine. If you wanted to gain weight then you would need a storable and dedicated energy source which are carbohydrates and dietary fats, lots of those would have done the trick.

Last edited:
I add 1 scoop of whey protein powder to my breakfast shakes, which I drink almost every morning, along with ice, various frozen fruits, whole milk yogurt and milk to maintain a Zone Diet recommendation of 40-30-30.
I remember the zone diet, that was 25 years ago, wow, anyway it was to reduce inflammation and and the philosophy was to formulate the macro's in to that 40/30/30
C/P/F
Here's a basic take on it.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/zone-diet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom