Which spice do you find most useful in your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't this basically the same question as the one asking which spice could we not imagine having in our kitchen, just worded a little differently?

Once again, the same answer - Capsicum annuum. Just a single species of pepper, but includes countless varieties of hot, and sweet peppers. What did the rest of the world do, before the discovery of the new world, where peppers (as well as many other foods) come from? So many cuisines are based on these foods now.

Isn't this basically the same question as the one asking which spice could we not imagine having in our kitchen, just worded a little differently?

Once again, the same answer - Capsicum annuum. Just a single species of pepper, but includes countless varieties of hot, and sweet peppers. What did the rest of the world do, before the discovery of the new world, where peppers (as well as many other foods) come from? So many cuisines are based on these foods now.
I have wondered what people did without capsicum annuum too. There's long pepper (piper longum), black pepper (piper nigrum), horseradish, mustard, and wasabi that I can think of. I don't include Sichuan pepper because, it's not hot. Enough raw garlic at once is hot.

Here are some common cooking spices you can find in many kitchens
  • Allspice.
  • Anise.
  • Cardamom.
  • Chinese five spice.
  • Cinnamon.

If I'm making something which has flour, eggs and sugar, it probably has vanilla and cinnamon in it. There's a fair shot it has nutmeg, too.

I have picked up a tip from Chef John (Food Wishes) and I add a dash of cayenne to almost everything I make (not counting desserts or pancakes). I find it stimulates the taste buds without being present in such an amount that I can actually taste it. Kind of a subliminal effect.

I find I use paprika in lots of stuff. I like paprika, though. My mother never did; funny the things you pick up along the way.

I'm more likely to use herbs than spices in my cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom