Whitefish, Montana ~~ Piggyback BBQ & Catering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Whitefish, Montana ~~ Piggyback BBQ & Catering
PO Box 5522
102 Wisconsin Ave
Whitefish, MT 59937
(406) 863-9895

Unfortunately, they do not ship...or else I'd be getting my 'cue on a weekly basis.

Coming over the bridge, heading north, off on the left is a little green house with white shutters and a smoker out front. Walking inside is a homey eatery with a chalkboard menu listing the soups of the day and the desserts.

There's a couple of fellas, in what Shrek calls, "grown men clothing" tending the counter and the kitchen. They were just out back with the BIG smoker, only coming in when we pulled up. According to a commemorative T-shirt, they won the 10th annual BBQ contest. Both fellas are very friendly and greet us warmly. We are the only customers, because there is a football game on in town.

You order your meal, pay and grab a soda glass. On the end of the counter is a big glass jar with pickled eggs...floating around with habaneros and other peppers. I'm not that brave!! There's also the dessert...Bourbon Pecan Pie...maybe.

Beef, chicken, pork, sausages...plenty to choose from. Coleslaw and potato salad. Tomato Bisque soup, made with smoked/roasted tomatoes.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw and a bowl of Smoked Brisket Chili, with smoked/roasted tomatoes. Shrek had the same without the chili. The guys set to work on our order.

The decorations are all manner of pigs. I collect pigs and they had specimens I was jealous of. The pigs peeked out of everywhere. Picnic tables with padded benches and a banquet that was built in on the outer walls.

Three types of BBQ sauce, Montana Sauce - thick, red with subtle spices, not too sweet, Spicy Mustard-Honey sauce - tangy, sweet and hot, Vinegar Sauce - OMG! Heaven in liquid form. We tried all three, sea salt and fresh ground pepper on each table.

The chili came out, it was a bit thinner than I was used to, but the flavor with the smoked brisket and roasted tomatoes was enough to to bring me to my knees. Just a small amount of kidney beans, diced onions, celery and peppers.

Then came the sandwiches and coleslaw. The cabbage was almost transparent, it was shredded so thin, chopped sweet pickles, carrots, celery seeds and onions in a vinegar based dressing. Soft Kaiser rolls, Montana Sauce on the bottom and pulled pork on top, at least 6 ounces. The pork was so tender and moist with a lovely smoke ring. There was enough pork I could pull off two little mounds and try out the other sauces. Every bite was fantastic.

I can't recommend this restaurant more, it's the best BBQ in Montana and most likely Wyoming, too! Shrek says it reminds him of the BBQ in Oklahoma.

So, if you are ever in Northwest Montana, stop in at the Piggyback...and yes, I bought a t-shirt.

Glad you had a very nice weekend and sounds like my kinda place!

I'm trying to click on pictures you posted but they don't seem to come up....:neutral:

I had a tough time bringing up my pics. Click on the album pic to see all 3 of them. No pics from this trip yet, they are still in Shrek's camera.

Fiona, when were you in Whitefish? My wife and I were there earlier this year to do some hiking. Whitefish was such a great town. We stayed at the Good Medicine Lodge just up the road from the BBQ joint. Also, just across the street from the BBQ place is a frozen yogurt place called General Custard (with a pic of General Custer on their sign). Too funny.
We also enjoyed eating at Wasabi, amazing sushi there and also ate at LouLa's. Really amazing huckleberry/peach pie.

We were in Whitefish earlier this month, went for a belated Honeymoon. We stayed at The Lodge and had fun watching it rain on the lake.

Did you stop at Piggyback BBQ? Shrek won't eat sushi, so I didn't suggest Wasabi, even though I was intrigued.

We live just down the road (Hwy 93) in Missoula, so next time we wander...

Didn't get to Piggyback. Oh, Wasabi has way more than sushi. DW won't eat sushi either. She had something that was similar to cashew chicken/pad thai. Oh, and they bring a pretty cool pickled cucumber salad as a free starter to each patron.

Didn't get to Piggyback. Oh, Wasabi has way more than sushi. DW won't eat sushi either. She had something that was similar to cashew chicken/pad thai. Oh, and they bring a pretty cool pickled cucumber salad as a free starter to each patron.

We are so going to Wasabi our next trip up, thanks for the clue!:)

And don't forget LouLa's for pie afterwards. :clap:

Next time we won't be staying at a resort, we'll be more inclined to crawl the town looking for eateries and LouLa's is on the list! Thanks!

We tend to go to Glacier about three times a year, this was our first trip to Whitefish.

Wasabi? Never hear of that. What do they offer as its best?

Wasabi Sushi Bar
419 Second Street East
Whitefish, MT 59937
406-863-9283

Traditional sushi with a contemporary flare. Serving seafood entrees, teriyaki dinners and udon bowls. Beer, sake and wine available. Reservations appreciated.

Only thing I could find online.:) Oh, they have Udon!!!:pig:

Wasabi? Never hear of that. What do they offer as its best?

Well, DW and I only went there once and I had sushi which was amazing. She had some sort of stir fry type dish (don't recall what it was called) but it was something of a cashew chicken/pad thai fusion thing. Also way good. And that complimentary cucumber salad was also very tasty.
We were very fortunate in that we didn't have a reservation, but since it was just the 2 of us they went ahead and seated us anyway at a spot where a later reservation was held. So we got in and out before the people arrived for their reservation.

Back
Top Bottom