Wines for cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
whenever i'm looking for a recipe i always skip over recipes that call for wines because i just dont know what to use. hubby & i dont drink so we dont know much about alcohol or wines and there are so many different ones in the wine isle. what is a good red & white wine i can have on hand that will work in most dishes that call for wine and that i can keep in the refrigerator for a while (since we wont drink them)?

i do have some white wine & some red wine somewhere in the house that were given to us, would those be ok to use?

Sure debbie, what you have on hand is fine. If you are only using it to cook, then whatever will be fine. Try not to use a sweet wine for cooking. Thats the only advice I have for you. Otherwise, fly at it!

Deb:

There are lots of good wines for cooking in the $10 range.

For both reds and whites, you can buy four packs of small bottles (about 8 ounces each). If a recipe calls for half a cup, you can refrigerate or freeze the rest.

For that matter, you can buy any wine and freeze that in ice cube trays or other small containers for future use.

For whites, look for chardonnay, sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio.

For reds, look for merlot, pinot noir or shiraz.

You can buy dry white vermouth, which is a fortified wine and it will keep for a very long time in the cabinet.

Never, ever, buy cooking wines. they are awful tasting and are loaded with salt.

White wines with too much oak (inexpensive Cali Chardonnays, usually) won't cook down to a tasty syrup... nor inexpensive, young Cabernet Sauvignons, as they have too much tannin. Otherwise, all else is fair game.

You will not be able to keep it, even in the fridge, for more than a week, as they will oxidize, and change character completely. I often use whire vermouth, a fortified white wine that will keep much longer, refrigerated. Dry Sherry and Marsala are also fortified, ahd thus have a longer shelf life. They don't work in ALL situations, but will be tasty for many dishes.

People actually keep wine for a WEEK in the fridge? LOL, mine is lucky to last a day or so! :cool:

Debbie... you can buy wine in a box that last forever.

We don't drink wine either but I do use it in cooking and this seems to work just fine.

I agree with the boxed wines for cooking. I have been using them for about 5 years now (no not the same box :LOL:). They are perfect for cooking.

My daughter bought a box of Franzia merlot this summer, and I've borrowed from it for cooking (most recently, used in a reduction gravy for roast leg of lamb), and, while cooking, always serve myself a glass, too. The gravy came out well, and I thought it tasted quite nice on its own!

Sandyj said:
My daughter bought a box of Franzia merlot this summer, and I've borrowed from it for cooking (most recently, used in a reduction gravy for roast leg of lamb), and, while cooking, always serve myself a glass, too. The gravy came out well, and I thought it tasted quite nice on its own!

don't take this the wrong way, but i'd just like to point out that after a glass of wine, a lot of things taste pretty good.
icon12.gif

Barb, here is a photo of one of the more popular (but probably not the best) boxed wines.

Attachments

• franzia.jpg
    franzia.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 220
Has anyone heard of the boxed wines labeled "Killer Juice?" I have had the Chard and the Cab (don't know if there are others), and enjoy them both for cooking, as well as imbibing while cooking. They are pricier than most box wines, but are supposedly higher end Napa excess produce at a much lower price (~$22 for 3 litres). I enjoy the fact that they seem never to go bad. GB--we always cooked for the public with Franzia, with very good results.

Barb, this is probably old news to everyone but me, but I found out that the wines that come in boxes are so well sealed in their bags that they stay fresh for a long time. Now that I've tried using the boxed Franzia merlot in a few dishes, I will probably buy some to keep for cooking, and hopefully it'll keep!

I have seen those- lol, but never the spout ! Awful big- too big for me for just cooking- which isn't often-(with wine). Just my shrimp scampi ! Thanks GB for the input !!

bullseye said:
GB--we always cooked for the public with Franzia, with very good results.
I have the end of a box of Franzia in my house right now. I bought a box of Trove to replace it. I haven't tried it yet, but the woman at the liquor store said it was the best box wine they carry.

Back
Top Bottom