Wow that was easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're welcome, mollyanne. It's a pretty clear presentation. I always enjoyed his information.

Not sure what this part is called specifically. It certainly helps to remove it completely from the thigh before you cook it.

After the back bone has been removed ( Spatchcoked )
Right next to the thigh is a fairly thick piece of something, next to the bone. That's probably what Rock is referring to. It's kind of looks like a piece of fat. But it's tougher. Cut that piece out.
I've noticed if I forget to do that it's harder to bite into the meat.

Here's one of my recipes for it.

1 whole fairly large chicken.Rinsed well,dried using paper towels.
1/4 Cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of crushed chili flakes
2 lemons squeezed of it's juice,if you don' have one, bottled lemon juice will do.Use 1-2 teaspoons.
Dash of black pepper

In a medium sized bowl-add olive oil,lemon juice,chili flakes,pepper. Mix it well set the marinade aside.

To spatchcock the chicken,remove the backbone. Lay the chicken flat and press to flatten the breastbone,cartilage.You don't want to cut the chicken into 2 halves. Loosen the skin all around. It crisps up the skin when broiled.

In a large enough dish to hold the chicken.
Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate overnight refrigerated, or marinate a few hours.

Preheat your broiler,and pan on high..30 minutes.

When ready place the chicken breast side down. Bone side up. Cook for 20 minutes,turn the chicken over. Finish cooking it breast side up. Check it every few minutes baste often. Cook an additional 15-20 minutes until the thigh juices when poked with a fork run clear.

Remove the chicken. Let it rest 10 minutes before carving.
Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and eat up!

The chicken has a nice peppery zesty taste to it

Munky.
I'm pretty sure thats the keel bone

I'm pretty sure thats the keel bone

No, the keel bone is that pointed bone I was talking about that runs down the bird's front. You can see it in the vid. It's not by the thigh/hip joint.

No, the keel bone is that pointed bone I was talking about that runs down the bird's front. You can see it in the vid. It's not by the thigh/hip joint.
LOL I was replying to chunky's comment. The keel kind of looks like hard fat. I thought thats what he was referring to. I knew you were talking about "popping" the bone between the thigh and body.

Last edited:
LOL I was replying to chunky's comment. The keel kind of looks like hard fat. I thought thats what he was referring to. I knew you were talking about "popping" the bone between the thigh and body.

You highlited a part of munky's post in red and said you thought that was called the keel bone, where in fact he was referring to the hip joint we had been discussing. At least the part you highlited.
And that's what I was replying to ;)

You highlited a part of munky's post in red and said you thought that was called the keel bone, where in fact he was referring to the hip joint we had been discussing. At least the part you highlited.
And that's what I was replying to ;)
Ok brain freeze LOL I looked at that video and when he started the removal at the hip is what I thought munky meant. So sorry get the whip!! LOL

And that reminds me (not the whip, lol) that I forgot to try to snap a hip joint on the chicken I just put on the grill. Shoot.

LOL!!!! Who's Chunky? Me Munky?.. :-p

I didn't watch the video. Can't watch things like that when I just wake up. Food pics are hard enough to look at until my second cup....

" Chunky Munky "

A good pair of poultry shears are invaluable. I got mine in a "$1 box" at an auction. My mom has a pair, my grandmother had a pair...

Don't forget to save the bone for soup <g>.

K.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom