America's Test Kitchen recipe for chicken breast. is this accurate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
they say to cook on 275 f [135 c] for half an hour......

but it didn't cook it to internal temp of of 150 f..
it was pink on the outside and inside.....

so i raised the temperature and waiting now.

how come that they said to cook on 275 f if it is not ready on time?

would glad to figure it out..

Did you watch the whole video? He is doing a reverse sear by finishing them with a sear in a pan afterwards. He also explains why he can cook them at a lower temperature and guarantee safety.

Watch the whole video and pause it to absorb what he is saying.

It looks like they were pounded slightly before going in. Did you do that? Also, are you using a similar size breast as he did? Breast sizes can vary greatly and that will affect cooking time.

Also, they aren't going to have color coming out of the oven because they are covered and in a moist environnent. That's why you sear them after they roast.

Are you sure they didn't reach 145-150 F? They should have. I'd check your oven temperature or your instant read thermometer for accuracy.

Last edited:
Let's assume you followed the directions in the video exactly. The the only reason the chicken did not reach the 145ºF-150ºF temp would be because your chicken breasts were larger than the ones he used or your oven temperature is not accurate or both. The solution should have been to leave them in the oven at the same temp for a little longer, NOT to raise the temperature. It was explained that the 275ºF temp was necessary to have tender juicy results.

Did you watch the whole video? He is doing a reverse sear by finishing them with a sear in a pan afterwards. He also explains why he can cook them at a lower temperature and guarantee safety.

If Dan did a reverse sear, then I completely agree, it is okay to have some pink from the oven. The sear will finish the job. If the breast is 100% cooked from the oven, and it goes into a pan for a reverse sear, it's going to be dry... like most chicken breasts.

I don't cook chicken breast unless I'm cooking for my family. I prefer thighs. But, my family thinks they will have a heart attack if they eat any meat that has any fat. I like Dan's idea.

CD

It also looks to me that the breasts were sliced in half. You don't get that kind of flat surface without a knife.

Again, I repeat, he also explains why he can cook them at a lower temperature and achieve a lower temperature and still kill off any salmonella.

yes. and i did the reverse sear.
it is just that the oven temperature that he mentions is too low

it's not the first recipe that they are mistaken about temperatures..

i will read the rest of the replies later on......

It also looks to me that the breasts were sliced in half. You don't get that kind of flat surface without a knife.

Again, I repeat, he also explains why he can cook them at a lower temperature and achieve a lower temperature and still kill off any salmonella.

If Dan buttered the breasts, that is a great way to cook them faster, and keep them from drying out. Sorry, but I haven't watched the video, because I don't cook chicken breasts that way, when I have to cook them. Personally, I would skip the oven, butterfly the breasts, and cook them directly in a skillet. They reach a safe temperature quickly, so they don't dry out.

And yes, killing bacteria does have time and temperature elements. At 160F, bacteria is killed in seconds, but you can kill bacteria at a lower temperature, if you go longer at that temperature. That is a big benefit in sous vide cooking. You can cook chicken and pork at lower temperatures, and cook them for as long as you want and not dry them out. I'm not sure how that works with baking in a 275F oven.

CD

Well, I have to disagree with you there, Seeing. I've never come across a recipe of theirs that has not worked. I have not done this recipe, nor will I probably.

But meanwhile they say...

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees.
Using fork, poke thickest half of each breast 5 to 6 times; evenly sprinkle each breast with ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or ¼ teaspoon table salt). Place chicken, skinned side down, in 13 by 9-inch baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
Bake until thickest part of breast registers 145 to 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 30 to 40 minutes.

After you have seared it another couple of minutes in a hot pan.... let it rest! This not only redistributes the juices but finishes bringing the temperature up those final degrees.

Casey, that pan is covered in foil while in the oven - a sort of steaming effect to keep it moist at the low temperature. IMHO

they say to cook on 275 f [135 c] for half an hour......

but it didn't cook it to internal temp of of 150 f..
it was pink on the outside and inside.....

so i raised the temperature and waiting now.

how come that they said to cook on 275 f if it is not ready on time?

would glad to figure it out..
What temperature did you get to? He said to pull the chicken at 145 to 150°F. The recipes from ATK are seriously tested. If it doesn't work, it's probably you, not them. As Andy wrote, it's likely that either your oven or your thermometer is off. The time element is not written in stone. It could easily take longer or less time to get to that 145-150°F.
Let's assume you followed the directions in the video exactly. The the only reason the chicken did not reach the 145ºF-150ºF temp would be because your chicken breasts were larger than the ones he used or your oven temperature is not accurate or both. The solution should have been to leave them in the oven at the same temp for a little longer, NOT to raise the temperature. It was explained that the 275ºF temp was necessary to have tender juicy results.
^^^ This.

Actually, Dan said that the flat side is a product of cooking them at 275°F, that and the foil that keeps it all moist. It's one of the advantages of this method, because that flat side will sear really well.

there was one recipe at least [whole roasted chicken] that didn't work too and we discussed about it here in the past.
if you want i can try to search it for you......
sorry but there are so many replies and i will have to read them later..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom