Your Favourite Ingredient

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Wow! This will be a tough challenge, so I am going to set a few rules.

1) salt, pepper, oil, is out
2) no ingredients that are almost impossible to source - ie: sashimi grade fish.
3) The ingredients you choose must reflect the dishes you actually make. I could easily make lobster for days, but I simply can’t afford.

GO!!!

Kind of difficult to answer. Is it the ingredient I use most often? If I cook in different cuisines, would I use this favorite ingredient in all those cuisines? Does it go with fish, beef, chicken, lamb, leafy green vegetables, beans?

My favorite ingredients are mostly seafood. Shrimp, lobster, scallops, etc. I can use them in many cuisine styles - seafood is universal.

Add fresh truffle to the list.

Yes, I cook these frequently. Cook one of these, add a beautiful salad, and you have a great meal. Seafood and salad is my standard about twice a week.

Hot peppers would obviously seem to be my favorite, as there would be almost no day that goes by that I don't eat something that I've made with at least one type of hot pepper. Come summertime, tomatoes are my absolute favorite, and I often eat those several times a day! Those I don't use for long cooked dishes - just raw or quick cooked for those.

I'll keep my list short. While I don't eat hot peppers every day, I do like them. When I did a nightshade elimination, the first nightshade I wanted to test was hot peppers. I was very relieved that those didn't cause a reaction. Onions - they go in so many different dishes, that would just be missing something important if they weren't there. Tamari, it can perk up all sorts of savoury foods with good flavour, a bit of saltiness, and kick of umami.

Another vote for onions.

When money is short and times are hard the smell of an onion frying is a comforting promise of good things to come.

1697198213549.gif

I got to choose a couple of them
Wouldn't want to be without garlic, chili's, onions, rice and eggs. And bacon ;)
First 3 mostly every day, next 2 a couple of times a week.
Bacon: as often as I allow myself ;)

Id have to go with garlic and/ or onions.
There's not a day that goes bye where I dont have full stock of either in the house. I've found no matter how many onions I buy ( 3,5,10, 20 pound bag), I seem to find a way to use them up

A close second would be tomato ( anything tomato , fresh, sauce, paste, puree...)

Although Im low carb, bread, pasta and rice products can't be over looked, but I have slowly moved away from these. But if you asked me a few years ago, these would have been on top of the list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom