Christmas Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
When do you start baking your Christmas cookies?

Nothing yet; I've usually started them by now, but I don't have as many to give to, as I used to. Last year I only baked 500 or so, and this year, of course, there are even less, due to covid. I used to start the dough back in October - a bunch of slice and bake types, and I'd have a half sheet in the freezer, piled over a foot high with them, by baking time. My freezer is so packed this year, I could barely fit a single layer in there!

I'm not sure if I will make cookies this year or not, really.
We can't go see my Mother and she's already requested
that I NOT :ohmy: send any sweets, of any sort! :ohmy:
DH isn't into the "spirit" and I have some other things
coming up that I will have to give my full attention to ... soooo

I always made my Mom's favorite date -filled cookies every year, to remember her by. She always made them, almond bark, and peanut brittle. Me, I made the 7-layer butterscotch cake, the chocolate/mayonnaise cake, New York cheesecake, carrot cake, and more, and many different kinds pies, and fancy pastries.

This year, as I am out of my kitchen due to circumstances beyond my control, I ordered premium nuts, chocolates, cheeses, and deli sausages & meats through the internet, and sent those instead.

Just gotta say, Denver winters are sure different than U.P. MI winters; so much milder.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Jeannie has one daughter who loves a sesame cookie her mother has baked forever. Just for her, Jeannie baked a nice batch and mailed it yesterday.

She also baked a batch for me. :yum:

She used to bake a 1/2 dozen different cookies plus fudge to give to family and friends. Age and the current situation, has taken most of that of the schedule.

Ross

Dedicated cookie baker here;)

I am planning on only making one kind of cookie that I usually don't make because they are time consuming. The old fashioned cut out sugar cookies decorated with colored powered sugar icing. Us kids would make those every year with our Mom. And I have a bunch of cookie cutters.

Last edited:
But when do you start baking your Christmas cookies?

Do you start 1, 2, 3 weeks or more before Christmas?

But when do you start baking your Christmas cookies?

Do you start 1, 2, 3 weeks or more before Christmas?
I used to do it about 2 weeks before Christmas. We'd usually get all of them done in 2 days, but one year we tried to bake them all (around 3800) in one day (the couple that always helped me, their younger daughter, and a friend of theirs), and we did it! We never did it again, though.

SO started last week, baking a big batch of anise cookies. This week she baked eggnog cookies and lemon sugar cookies with sprinkles.

She's going back to FL next week to help with her sister and wants me to bake my oatmeal cookies for her son who will be celebrating his 50th.

SO emailed several of her bros with copies of some Christmas cookies so they can make their own. One bro emailed her back with a pic of some molasses ginger cookies still on the cookie sheet and one in his mouth. So, I guess in one way, Cookie Baking has begun.

Yes, this cookie is in just about every cook book. It's the the thought that goes with the recipes.

Back
Top Bottom