New diet, craving bakery, any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonbaker

Chef Extraordinaire
Last wednesday I started a diet....again. I'vebeen doing pretty well on it, but I've been craving bakery items. Anyone have any good ideas?

What kind of diet are you on? Reduced calorie? Low fat? If you give us some parameters I'm sure we can find you a few recipes.

I think I am borderline type 2 diabetes. My doctor's appt. is on the 23rd. I have a big family history of it. I have all the symptoms & have alot of weight to lose. Being in this business makes it tough. My husband & I have a small bakery/cafe & catering business. It's tough to make time for exercise but I'm trying.
I want to really concentrate on cutting carb.'s & sugars. I want to deter any health problems with diet & exercise. It's really challenging.
Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Even on a diabetic diet, you can have some carbs, but it limited amounts. For instance you can have one slice of white bread or two slices of whole wheat per day, or 15 corn chips with 2 tablespoons of salsa.

The idea is not to deprive yourself, but only limit the amount while taking away the craving. Your daily intake (amount of space on your plate divided into quarters) should consist of 1/4 grains and starchy vegetables, 1/4 fish, chicken, meat or meat substitutions, such as mushrooms or TVP, and 1/2 non-starchy vegetables. You can also allow yourself 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen fruit, or canned fruit juice, and 8 oz. of milk.

It's not baking but you can make an egg crepe and fill it with a sweetened cheese mixture (use Splenda) The crepe does not use flour it uses ground flax seeds. It is not the same as a crepe made with flour but it really does help with those cravings. Try googling an Atkins website and you will undoubtedly be able to find a recipe for this. When I was doing low carb I mad them a lot when I had a craving for pancakes. If the crepes are made savory instead of sweet you can cut them up like noodles for soup etc. There are lots of tricks to the low-carb life.

It's not baking but you can make an egg crepe and fill it with a sweetened cheese mixture (use Splenda) The crepe does not use flour it uses ground flax seeds. It is not the same as a crepe made with flour but it really does help with those cravings. Try googling an Atkins website and you will undoubtedly be able to find a recipe for this. When I was doing low carb I mad them a lot when I had a craving for pancakes. If the crepes are made savory instead of sweet you can cut them up like noodles for soup etc. There are lots of tricks to the low-carb life.

Thanks! I will try it out.

Thanks! I will try it out.

While an Atkins diet is OK for some people without any medical condition, you may want to speak with your doctor about your particular diabetic diet plan. For instance, concerning diabetes:

• Critics of the Atkins diet say that the diet recommends eating excessive amounts of animal protein and fat. High protein causes people to eliminate a lot of water weight.
  • Critics also say that a very high protein diet can strain the kidneys and liver, creating ketones. Although ketones suppress appetite, they can cause dizziness, bad breath, and gas. Ketones are also thought to contribute to gout, heart disease, and kidney disease. People with diabetes are more likely to develop kidney disease than the general population.
  • Another concern is that the diet labels all carbohydrates as bad, even though vegetable carbohydrates promote health.
  • Low carbohydrate, high protein diets deplete glycogen stores. Glycogen is a form of carbohydrate, stored in the liver and muscle, that is a primary fuel source for exercise. Even though many low carbohydrate diets recommend a complete exercise program, the diet makes it harder for people to exercise effectively.

While an Atkins diet is OK for some people without any medical condition, you may want to speak with your doctor about your particular diabetic diet plan. For instance, concerning diabetes:

• Critics of the Atkins diet say that the diet recommends eating excessive amounts of animal protein and fat. High protein causes people to eliminate a lot of water weight.
  • Critics also say that a very high protein diet can strain the kidneys and liver, creating ketones. Although ketones suppress appetite, they can cause dizziness, bad breath, and gas. Ketones are also thought to contribute to gout, heart disease, and kidney disease. People with diabetes are more likely to develop kidney disease than the general population.
  • Another concern is that the diet labels all carbohydrates as bad, even though vegetable carbohydrates promote health.
  • Low carbohydrate, high protein diets deplete glycogen stores. Glycogen is a form of carbohydrate, stored in the liver and muscle, that is a primary fuel source for exercise. Even though many low carbohydrate diets recommend a complete exercise program, the diet makes it harder for people to exercise effectively.
Thank you for all the helpful information. I do have a doc. appt. on the 23rd. I'm trying to at least have a couple of weeks to get jump started. It's been a few years since my last physical so I will take heed to whatever the doctor recomends.

Last wednesday I started a diet....again. I'vebeen doing pretty well on it, but I've been craving bakery items. Anyone have any good ideas?

Here is a link to an awesome lemon cake on this site. It is Alix's recipe. I tweaked it a bit to try to make it more diet friendly. My note about how I replaced certain items and how much difference it made is at the bottom of this message.

I also have a great apple cake recipe that is fairly light. If you'd like it, I will try to locate it and share with you.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/lemon-cake-68495.html

I attempted to lighten up the recipe a bit. I left the butter in (unsure of what I would use to replace that...applesauce just didn't seem right). I replaced the 1 cup sugar with 1/2 cup Splenda Baking Blend (recommended on the package). I replaced the eggs with Egg Beaters and used 2% milk. I kept the 1/4 cup of regular sugar for the glaze as I wasn't sure the Splenda would give a good result. I ran the recipes through an online recipe analyzer. Original has 296 cal. and 11.7 g fat. My version has 248 cal. and 11.2 g fat. So....I didn't shave all that much off of it, but I felt better eating less calories and it tastes AWESOME! What a light, tart taste it has.

Last edited:
Here is a link to an awesome lemon cake on this site. It is Alix's recipe. I tweaked it a bit to try to make it more diet friendly. My note about how I replaced certain items and how much difference it made is at the bottom of this message.

I also have a great apple cake recipe that is fairly light. If you'd like it, I will try to locate it and share with you.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/lemon-cake-68495.html

I attempted to lighten up the recipe a bit. I left the butter in (unsure of what I would use to replace that...applesauce just didn't seem right). I replaced the 1 cup sugar with 1/2 cup Splenda Baking Blend (recommended on the package). I replaced the eggs with Egg Beaters and used 2% milk. I kept the 1/4 cup of regular sugar for the glaze as I wasn't sure the Splenda would give a good result. I ran the recipes through an online recipe analyzer. Original has 296 cal. and 11.7 g fat. My version has 248 cal. and 11.2 g fat. So....I didn't shave all that much off of it, but I felt better eating less calories and it tastes AWESOME! What a light, tart taste it has.
Thanks, it looks great. I will try it.

Just for the record I was not suggesting that he do an Atkins diet. I was just suggesting that that is a good place to find low carb recipes. But since the topic has been broached, the South Beach Diet is an exccellent diet for folks with diabetes or heart disease. It stresses good carbs and fats,(so please don't tell me about how much people need carbs, I know all about it, but they need the right carbs.)

I have this cookbook. Are these they type of recipes you are looking for? Let me know and I'll see what dessert type recipes are in there.

I'm praying that I'm not diabetic but I'm trying to take precautions even though it's difficult. I saw Atkins had a nice low-carb. bread that sounds pretty good. Has anyone tried it?

I'm praying that I'm not diabetic but I'm trying to take precautions even though it's difficult. I saw Atkins had a nice low-carb. bread that sounds pretty good. Has anyone tried it?
I'm diabetic, my advice to you is get your appointment over then listen to your doctor. You might consider an endocrinologist and dietitian. You can ask about how to exchange carbs within a meal. example being, to have a small piece of pie or cake you can exchange a potatoe,pasta or rice have a non starchy veggie, large salad and and some chicken or small palm sized piece of meat then have your dessert, make it a very small portion and your blood glucose will not go to high. Remember there is always tomorrow you can have another piece.Another thing to do is test your blood glucose once at the getting out of bed or fasting, then before your breakfast, lunch and dinner and at bedtime. This will teach you how your body works. And don't let anyone tell you it's not important and need not be done. You will be surprised all you learn about yourself.
Good luck and I'll be glad to help if you want to pick my brain.
kadesma

I'm diabetic, my advice to you is get your appointment over then listen to your doctor. You might consider an endocrinologist and dietitian. You can ask about how to exchange carbs within a meal. example being, to have a small piece of pie or cake you can exchange a potatoe,pasta or rice have a non starchy veggie, large salad and and some chicken or small palm sized piece of meat then have your dessert, make it a very small portion and your blood glucose will not go to high. Remember there is always tomorrow you can have another piece.Another thing to do is test your blood glucose once at the getting out of bed or fasting, then before your breakfast, lunch and dinner and at bedtime. This will teach you how your body works. And don't let anyone tell you it's not important and need not be done. You will be surprised all you learn about yourself.
Good luck and I'll be glad to help if you want to pick my brain.
kadesma
Thank you for your input kadesma. I should find out on the 23rd of this month the results from the doctor. I really do appreciate your support. I will let you know how things turn out.

What Kad said is exactly right. Even if you are pre-diabetic you will want to watch your carbs. With diabetes eating is really a matter of picking your battles. Potatoes or pasta. Fruit or crackers. Cake or ice cream. One of the toughest things is learning what an actual portion size is. It is killing my husband. He was amazed to learn that two cookies the size of vanilla wafers are considered a serving.
Now some folks won't appreciate this but I feel I should tell you about my experience. I went to the doc in December 2007 with symptoms of diabetes, I knew I had it just had to confirm it. The doc suggested gastric bypass surgery. I was very seriously overweight. I declined because I didn't think that my insurance would cover it. but after looking into it my insurance was extremely co-opperative about paying for the surgery. It seems that for some folks the surgery cures diabetes. It doesn't work for everyone. It seems that the less time you have had the disease the more likely it is to work. It worked for me. I was out of the hospital in two days and by that time my sugar levels read normal. I have not had a proiblem with sugar levels since. Yes, it is a drastic step but in my opinion (and I am not a doctor or any kind of medical professional) it was well worth it. If you end up considering it do your homework and make sure that you understand all of the ramifications of the surgery before you go ahead. Not all insurances are co-operative. And there are a lot of rules to follow before you can be approved for surgery. some insurances require a 6 month doctor's supervised weight loss program before surgery. Anyway. I hope that all of this is unnecessaary. Wishing you the best.

What Kad said is exactly right. Even if you are pre-diabetic you will want to watch your carbs. With diabetes eating is really a matter of picking your battles. Potatoes or pasta. Fruit or crackers. Cake or ice cream. One of the toughest things is learning what an actual portion size is. It is killing my husband. He was amazed to learn that two cookies the size of vanilla wafers are considered a serving.
Now some folks won't appreciate this but I feel I should tell you about my experience. I went to the doc in December 2007 with symptoms of diabetes, I knew I had it just had to confirm it. The doc suggested gastric bypass surgery. I was very seriously overweight. I declined because I didn't think that my insurance would cover it. but after looking into it my insurance was extremely co-opperative about paying for the surgery. It seems that for some folks the surgery cures diabetes. It doesn't work for everyone. It seems that the less time you have had the disease the more likely it is to work. It worked for me. I was out of the hospital in two days and by that time my sugar levels read normal. I have not had a proiblem with sugar levels since. Yes, it is a drastic step but in my opinion (and I am not a doctor or any kind of medical professional) it was well worth it. If you end up considering it do your homework and make sure that you understand all of the ramifications of the surgery before you go ahead. Not all insurances are co-operative. And there are a lot of rules to follow before you can be approved for surgery. some insurances require a 6 month doctor's supervised weight loss program before surgery. Anyway. I hope that all of this is unnecessaary. Wishing you the best.
Thank you for sharing your story. I will keep the info. in the back of my mind when going to the doc. on the 23rd. I know I will need to get educated on alot of things.Thanks for your support!

Back
Top Bottom