Dinner 26th October, Friday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CraigC said:
A small salad and for us, the first of this seasons stone crab claws with mustard sauce.:yum:

Oooh, stone crab claws.....love 'em! We used to get them when we stayed on Marco Island milleniums ago.

I think we're going out to eat, no idea where.

Pan fried pork chops with mashed potatoes and green beans. The chops and potatoes will be drenched in mushroom and onion gravy made from the drippings.

pacanis said:
Pan fried pork chops with mashed potatoes and green beans. The chops and potatoes will be drenched in mushroom and onion gravy made from the drippings.

Need to make pork chops soon... Been way to long..

My absolute favorite... And the thing i miss most about living just off the keys... Still get some at christmas every year from joes...

Um, you might want to check out Grimm's Stone Crabs in Everglades city. What you order from them was probably off the boat the morning you placed your order. Joe's is on south beach (SoBe) and if you order from them, you are paying a premium retail price, much higher than Grimm's and a lot less fresh. Also, if you buy anything larger than mediums, you are wasting your money on "shell weight".;)

CraigC said:
Um, you might want to check out Grimm's Stone Crabs in Everglades city. What you order from them was probably off the boat the morning you placed your order. Joe's is on south beach (SoBe) and if you order from them, you are paying a premium retail price, much higher than Grimm's and a lot less fresh. Also, if you buy anything larger than mediums, you are wasting your money on "shell weight".;)

Will do.. thanks

Somebunny said:
Leftover beef stirfry on white rice for us. Having a glass or two of homemade Pinot Grigio with it.

SB, I am impressed! Did not know you made wine!

Lots of good sounding meals. I'm having the other half of my lunch. Stirling and I went out and, as usual, I got a doggie bag. It was a bagel (from my favourite bagel place, I could smell the smoke from the wood fired oven) with cream cheese and lox with tomato, capers, and red onion. That was delicious. Stirling is out with friends and having pizza.

And since I'm Scandinavian, I had it with a couple of glasses of Akvavit. ;)

Dawgluver said:
SB, I am impressed! Did not know you made wine!

Thanks! We have been making beer and wine for 10 years or so. We don't grow or "stomp" the grapes mind you. ;-). We use juice or kits. Maybe after we retire we can do more "scratch" type wines like Steve K. does. :). We make 120 - 160 bottles of wine each year and about 5 cases of different kinds of beer. It's fun and an inexpensive way to keep the cellar full. ;-)

Thanks! We have been making beer and wine for 10 years or so. We don't grow or "stomp" the grapes mind you. ;-). We use juice or kits. Maybe after we retire we can do more "scratch" type wines like Steve K. does. :). We make 120 - 160 bottles of wine each year and about 5 cases of different kinds of beer. It's fun and an inexpensive way to keep the cellar full. ;-)
Sounds like a hobby I should start. :yum:

This hit the spot.
I've got enough taters, gravy and beans leftover for lunch today, too :yum:

Attachments

• pork chop dinner.jpg
    pork chop dinner.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 160
Our stuffed acorn squash turned out quite tasty. I ended up using black rice, apples, sausage, celery, walnuts, dried cranberries, and just a pinch or two of curry powder to make the stuffing. :yum:

img_1199656_0_6c027f49cdf0757ac5efafe8a74d84ce.jpg

Glad to see another home winemaker here. :)

I agree about it being an inexpensive way to keep the cellar full. DW and I used to spend a lot of money on wine back when we were younger. When I tell people I can make my own wine now for sometimes less than $1/bottle it usually makes people take notice.

Haven't tried to brew beer yet. I've never been a big beer drinker myself, though during the summer I might pop one open on a hot day. But I have a lot of beer-drinking friends, so I'm sure any that I made would get used up.

Our stuffed acorn squash turned out quite tasty. I ended up using black rice, apples, sausage, celery, walnuts, dried cranberries, and just a pinch or two of curry powder to make the stuffing.

I really like the addition of sausage to your stuffing :yum: It sounds so good.
You made a sweet potato eater out of me, maybe you'll make a squash eater out of me, too :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom