Dinner Sunday July 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
butterflied pork loin, on the grill with BBQ sauce, grilled asparagus, corn on the cob also on the grill...

Lots of pork left over.. cooked it to 145F.. very juicy... asparagus was coated in olive oil before grilling. Corn was just shucked and tossed on the grill. Fantastic!! I like the corn cooked directly on the grill better than in the husk soaked then grilled.

That recipe does sound good, Mav. What does Bavarian mustard taste like? Sweet, spicy?

A movie outside. Cool idea. Kids don't know what they are missing.
Maybe you could set the laptop on the hood of your old Caddy and run the speakers through the windows :LOL: Tell 'em this is how we used to watch movies.

Oh, so what do you do with the spuds to keep them from turning black? Cook and chill right away? Do they need lemon juice?

Sweet with a nice tangy taste afterwards, thats why I wanted to keep the Dill seed and Celery seed in the recipe to balance it out somewhat.

I cook the potatoes then chill them right away. Also, I don't cut them up until they are cold and ready to go in the salad.

We used to have a drive in theater right down the road from us, literally a mile away. Unfortunately it closed, and I think there are maybe two left in the entire Chicago area, one being way up north of here almost to Wisconsin and the other down south of here not sure where.
Growing up I saw Star Wars in a drive in, then after I moved out here we saw Independence Day at the drive in and the last movie we watched was at the one down here before it closed and was the Perfect Storm.

That would be pretty funny doing it in the Cadillac!

easy no fuss night

Pork Goyzas, Haricots Verts with lemon juice and brown butter, brown rice....running low on groceries, need to go shopping.;)

I made pineapple salsa, then a made a Caribbean rub for chicken and grilled chicken breasts, served it with rice pilaf and the pineapple salsa.

i grilled a bunch of chicken legs, and a quartered whole chicken. half of each in sweet and sour marinade, half in lemon garlic marinade.
and a red bell pepper.

dw nuked some spuds and steamed a bunch of asparagus.

we also munched on snap peas and swiss chard from the garden.

it ended up being a typical chicken stew of sorts.
b/less,s/less chicken breasts browned in butter and bacon grease, beef brauts sliced and browed the same way, new potatoes that I browned on all sides first simply in butter, carrots that I slowly poached, CB's bean with bacon soup, undiluted, fried 5 strips of apple smoked bacon, and all went in the dutch oven for 2 hours. directions were, stir up from the bottom to get the sauce and chicken the brauts, potatoes and carrots, with lots of juice and all those beans too, toss a salad and there you go.

My ribs came out good, too. In spite of being left covered in foil, simmering in beer and liquid smoke too long. They were still juicy and tender, but the meat pulled away from the bone more than I like to see. My timing got thrown off when I ran out of propane and I had no idea how long the heat was off for :( I had a hunch that might happen.... I should have trusted my instincts and started with a fresh bottle :wacko:

Risotto with creamy sauce and fresh basil and roasted red peppers.
Home made puffy white bread.
Honey muffins and home made toffee.

My ribs came out good, too. In spite of being left covered in foil, simmering in beer and liquid smoke too long. They were still juicy and tender, but the meat pulled away from the bone more than I like to see. My timing got thrown off when I ran out of propane and I had no idea how long the heat was off for :( I had a hunch that might happen.... I should have trusted my instincts and started with a fresh bottle :wacko:

I hate when that happens!!! Hope you had the spare ready, I usually don't and end up firing up the oven when it's 100 degrees out.

Oh yeah, Suzi. Had it sitting right beside the grill. Getting the empty filled today.
Like I said in another post, my next grill is going to be natural gas, even if I have to order it in.

We went to a mini-family reunion potluck. I took my almost-world-famous couscous salad with grilled veggies and champagne vinaigrette. We also had grilled burgers, hotdogs and sausages, baked beans, ratatouille, salad, and brownies. Then we played croquet :)

Looks darn good! Here are mine from last night, they were OK just a little bit too much fat for my taste, not the best cuts:

Mav, I was going to ask about ribs and Chicago..... isn't that area known for its pork, pork capitol of the world or something? I was wondering if the prices reflected that, if your rib prices were lower than the "rest of the world"? I almost hate buying them they're so expensive.

I see your brats, too :chef:

I honestly don't know, I am not sure what they cost in other areas? I know if I go to Pete's I can get ribs, rib tips, and wings dirt cheap. There is also Moo & Oink's as well, but I don't know how they compare with other cities prices.
I went to Pete's, and they had been pretty picked over so I got pretty much the best ones I could find after rummaging thru the entire bin. They were $1.69lb, I should have gone with the rib tips in a 3lb box though. I can't remember what the price was on that though.
The brats were boiled up in beer and onions, then grilled, yum!

This is a link to their flier for this week: Pete's Fresh Market - Best Quality for Less Since 1970
Some is hard to read, but you can get a general idea of how much stuff costs there.

$1.69/lb for ribs?! :shock:That's all I need to see. They go "on sale" here for $2.99/lb.

Lucky bum, you ;)

OK, I feel lucky now, LOL. Regular price they can get up to $2.99 at places like Jewel or Dominick's but they are always expensive and never a better cut.
$1.69/lb was cool, I think I usually average about $1.89/lb. I know cause the wife (who watches every penny religiously) made the comment they were .20 cheaper per lb than usual, so I picked them up and decided to do rib tips another time.
I wonder if there are any online stores you can get em from that even after shipping might be cheaper??

I used to by them by the case from a restaurant supply, but they were still kinda pricey.... and then I had a WHOLE case of them to use up....
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom