Mon. 7-20-15 Dinner..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
It's D day here. The roast duck we had several weeks ago was so good we're ready to do another. We had to special order it from our local supermarket. It's a four hour cook and we may be nuts for doing a duck in this heat but the AC has to be on anyway, so why not?
I was turned on to this recipe by FrankZ, and not only is it fun to do, the results are out of this world good. If we can do it, anybody can. We're open to side dish ideas please.

The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

Sounds good. After 4.25 hours of roasting the temp is only 165ºF? That seems like a long time.

We're entertaining our grandson for a couple of days so I'm defrosting a pork tenderloin because it's grandson friendly food. Not sure what I'll do for sides other than a salad.

Sounds good. After 4.25 hours of roasting the temp is only 165ºF? That seems like a long time.

I didn't know enough to question the recipe the last time Andy so for once I followed a recipe to the letter and glad I did. It was just perfect in every way so I expect the same today. :D:yum:
By the way, when it was completed I didn't carve it. Instead, I used my kitchen shears and cut the back bone out, then into quarters for serving.

Here's a picture from the first duck..
img_1429575_0_b20a6cc2670855e26d22f9eb88602b07.jpg

Last edited:
The headache is gone (yay!) but the heat and humidity are still here (boo!), so I'll make yesterday's planned subs. Maybe a salad to go with it, but more likely a choice of cut-up watermelon and/or cantaloupe+blueberries to go alongside. Summer fruits are so fleeting that I love to serve/eat them every chance I get.

That looks gorgeous, Kay! :yum: I read through the recipe, makes sense that it would be so nicely browned and crispy with the multiple poking and flipping it over. I must try that - I know I'll have to special order as well.

You asked for side ideas, I think I would make a rice pilaf and maybe steam some broccoli. The last time I made rice pilaf I used Andy's recipe, except I subbed orzo for the angel hair pasta because that's what I had on hand. It's very good.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/rice-pilaf-75118.html

Since the oven is on anyway at a temp for roasting veggies, I would take some carrots and baby beets and roast them. I would make a gremolata out of the carrot tops using a toasted nut and wilt the beet greens for a wilted beet green salad with some grated baby beet on top dressed with a simple fresh lemon juice EVOO s&p, lemon zest or you could add a bit of the duck fat and emulsify in a blender. Sprinkle some of the toasted nuts used for the gremolata on top and a bit of lemon zest. If sweetness is needed, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup on the greens. Just doing some virtual cooking here.

Good idea, Andy.

This evening's dinner will be the other chicken thigh(s) from yesterday, and a salad. I'm completely out of fruit and missing it badly, tomorrow will definitely be a shopping day.

Gorgeous first duck, Kay, hope the second duck meets or exceeds it!

We have leftover pineapple fried rice and pulled pork. The cherry tomatoes are starting to come on. Blueberries.

Homemade hummus, homemade pitas I found in the freezer; garden Lettuce , cute, sugar snap peas, sundries tomatoes and the rest of the vinaigrette I made Saturday. A triple chocolate cupcake for the DH to celebrate his B'day.

I'm making grilled Lebanese kibbee patties (seasoned ground beef and bulghur) with tzatziki sauce, spiced rice pilaf and a Greek-style salad. We'll also grill pita bread and top it with olive oil and Penzey's Zaa'tar seasoning. Yummo!

It's D day here. The roast duck we had several weeks ago was so good we're ready to do another. We had to special order it from our local supermarket. It's a four hour cook and we may be nuts for doing a duck in this heat but the AC has to be on anyway, so why not?
I was turned on to this recipe by FrankZ, and not only is it fun to do, the results are out of this world good. If we can do it, anybody can. We're open to side dish ideas please.

The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

When I see a beautifully executed Peking Duck like this, I think homemade Bao, some chopped green onions and some extra sauce to make little ducky sammies :yum: maybe some steamed Kai Lan with Black Mushrooms on the side for a veg.

I'm making grilled Lebanese kibbee patties (seasoned ground beef and bulghur) with tzatziki sauce, spiced rice pilaf and a Greek-style salad. We'll also grill pita bread and top it with olive oil and Penzey's Zaa'tar seasoning. Yummo!

GG, how did you spice your pilaf?

Thanks for the nice comments friends.
This was the duck dinner tonight, once again it was lots of fun for us, and I love sharing the kitchen with that man!:heart:

This recipe is fabulous!

img_1429633_0_b5dfa14e739e87f8704b9b9c2f622580.jpg

GG, how did you spice your pilaf?

The recipe for the kibbee called for 1 tbsp crushed dried mint, 1.5 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp allspice and 1/2 tsp cinnamon for two pounds of ground beef. I used half of the spice mixture for the kibbee and the other half for the rice.

Dinner was really delicious.

Attachments

• 1437446714460.jpg
    1437446714460.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom