New Years Eve Dinner, Monday 31st December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since i had to work tonight and have to go in early tomorrow night, i decided to splurge and went to the supermarket to pick up a special dinner for my wife and son.

we started with shrimp cocktail, then i boiled a couple of big (2+ lbs each?) lobsters and grilled bone-in ribeyes while dw made butter sauteed creminis and baby green salads.

everything was delicious! the lobsters were especially sweet, and the thick ribeyes cooked up perfectly medium rare on a grill pan.

it was a good way to end a year of ups and downs. :chef:

I know what I want, but I also know I'm not going to drive into the store to get it, so I'll probably have something to do with the pork I cut up yesterday. Maybe I'll make that ginger noodle thing as I just happen to have fresh ginger and green onions.

That "ginger noodle thing" is really good! :)

Duck breast with a sweet cherry infused balsamic, sliced over wild mushroom risotto.
For dessert, Harry & David pears (a Christmas gift that was starting to get overly ripe) poached in Riesling, vanilla & a bunch of spices, over vanilla gelato, with a chocolate balsamic drizzle.

Just the two of us - we were watching something on the DVR and didn't even realize midnight had come and gone.

Wow, such great sounding meals. Stirling was feeling really out of it and my thumb is not letting me do much, so we had some frozen leek and potato soup and scrounged.

Wow, such great sounding meals. Stirling was feeling really out of it and my thumb is not letting me do much, so we had some frozen leek and potato soup and scrounged.

You could have at least heated up the soup...:rolleyes:

It was, but my banh pho noodles all stuck together :(
I had them along with a seared tuna steak.

Just wondering - did you rinse the noodles in cold water before adding to the sauce? I find this helps remove all the sticky starch. I am sure you know that but just checking! :angel:

Just wondering - did you rinse the noodles in cold water before adding to the sauce? I find this helps remove all the sticky starch. I am sure you know that but just checking! :angel:

No I didn't. I haven't done that with pasta in years. The sauce always loosened the strands up. This was my first time with rice noodles though and I guess I should have.
And that's why we don't have any pictures :LOL: It tasted good though ;)

No I didn't. I haven't done that with pasta in years. The sauce always loosened the strands up. This was my first time with rice noodles though and I guess I should have.
And that's why we don't have any pictures :LOL: It tasted good though ;)
All forms of rice noodles (and I use them all because we can't eat regular noodles) MUST be rinsed as they are covered in starch. Get them nice and cool as they will easily heat up again in the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom