Brewing coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a small 5 cup maker, I use two heaping coffee scoops(1/8th cup) which gets me two 16 ounce cups of coffee. So...yes, size (of cup) does matter. If I wanted just one cup I would use one heaping coffee scoop and fill water to the 2.5 cup line.

"I have a small 5 cup maker, I use two heaping coffee scoops(1/8th cup) which gets me two 16 ounce cups of coffee."

Back when I did coffee I might have made it stronger. I can't stand dishwater.

The point is that the first drippings outta there are very strong.

"So...yes, size (of cup) does matter. If I wanted just one cup I would use one heaping coffee scoop and fill water to the 2.5 cup line."

I have the same issue with coffee as tea. I want the tea from the first minute, not from days later and I would never reuse them.

I used to make tea and maybe I should. I stopped coffee and tea for work because some of it was like microsurgery. Now I can do whatever I want.

That just reminded me of something, later.

T

1 cup coffee press...

39817-albums888-picture8703.jpg
[/IMG]

How about PERCOLATED coffee ? That's what I started on but then the drip came along. Many preferred the drip and like VHS and beta, only one walked out alive. (I hope the dead one had to wear a sign or something)

Grampa's house. I remember everyone complaining because he was so noisy mixing his stuff into his coffee. Hard of hearing, somewhere between a tree and a rock.

T

Oh, so it decided to work. Note that one of those sold for over $200.

T

I have a suggestion. Before you post a reply, click the "Preview Post" button. Then you will know whether or not your post formatted the way you want and if the picture(s) are included.

I still have two Pyrex Coffee pots and stainless steel, aluminum, enamelware stove
top pots. Then the various electric perks up to catering size. An abundance of electric drip, French Press, Pour Over...heck I have them all including stove top espresso and an espresso machine. All that is what's in the kitchen, I have a pot assortment for travel and camping.

We've used a Cuisinart drip coffee maker for decades because of ease-of-use. Fill it up, let it brew. However, when we were first married, I had a ceramic pot with a water-and-grounds basket assembly to perch on the recessed rim of the pot. Measure grounds into the basket, press the water reservoir into the basket till secure, and pour measured hot water into the water reservoir. Very good coffee! While in college, Himself had a plastic coffee cone that supported the filter over the cup you brewed your coffee into. One cup, fresh, at a time. So very old school - and now known as the trendy, hipster "pour over" coffee". What's old is new again...

But, that "Melitta coffee", as we used to call it, was so much better than most perked coffee. The vacuum coffee makers came back into fashion too. I wonder if they are still in fashion.

taxy, I'm tempted to get a Chemex pour-over pot. I love Himself, but he is completely hopeless in the kitchen. When I ran errands on Friday, I didn't have enough time to set up the coffee pot for Himself; I had cold mocha coffee from the fridge that I took with me. Now mind you, he has made coffee with the Cuisinart many times, but not recently. He said he checked everything twice, had the grounds in the basket (took him a little while to find where I "hid" - his word - the filters), had water in the reservoir. Ready to launch. Pushed the button, heard the bubbling and other music, heard the ready "chirp"...and got nothing. :huh: He had forgotten to put the lid on the coffee pot and the entire 15 ounces of coffee were still being held in the grounds basket! Good thing it was a small pot of coffee.

Simplest and cheapest: a Melitta-type #1 or #2 cone and matching paper filters. 1-2 tablesoons fine-ground coffee. Boiling water.

3o4VHbn.jpg

For a better cup of coffee, or espresso, there's the AeroPress.

4xkDB6l.jpg

I don't think that French press coffee is better than Melitta coffee. It's different and sometimes I prefer one, sometimes the other. I also have an automatic drip coffee maker, two sizes of Bialetti, stove top moka makers, serveral sizes of Melitta cones, a French press, and an espresso machine that needs a gasket replaced, so it isn't getting any use at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom