Looking for input on a tipping issue I've had in the past

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 'n Out has been owned by the same family since the '40's, and they refuse to franchise out. That way they can keep true to their high standards. I think that's a huge reason for their success. :)

Thanks, I assumed it was a franchise. No wonder why it works.

We don't tip down here however I always tip a nice waitress, I leave it under my plate. I do the same when in Australia. I did tip in Vancouver and Hawaii.

Russ

We don't tip down here however I always tip a nice waitress, I leave it under my plate. I do the same when in Australia. I did tip in Vancouver and Hawaii.

Russ
I'm with you on that. I much prefer to do that as the waiter/waitress can then do what s/he thinks fit with the tip.

And I never use a card to pay in a restaurant.

Last edited:
To me, it's a simple issue to fix.
If I get no service, I don't tip including 'All You Can Eat' places. Bringing a drink is not service enough to tip. I DON'T tip at buffets.
A waiter will get a tip if the meal is brought to me and I am checked upon during a meal.
If I have to get my own food then there isn't anybody to tip.
It's simple.

:)

I just asked my wife about Panera as ahe goes to one fairly often for lunch on-the-go, and it's the healthiest option for fast food. When I mentioned the tipping thing, she said that yes, they try it here, then she gave the Bronx salute, spit a raspberry salute, and said, "'I ain't tipping them for self service."

Besides the fact that I may have married a female Archie Bunker, I completely agree.

<<plplplplplplplplllll>>

Last edited:
I get 3% cash back when I use my CC. There are other CC's that give 5% cash back.
We use our card for everything - gas, groceries, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Got a free KitchenAid immersion blender and an 11-cup food processor last year with the points, then this year, something like $100 off the new gas grill we bought. Not sure why it's something to avoid.

We use our card for everything - gas, groceries, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Got a free KitchenAid immersion blender and an 11-cup food processor last year with the points, then this year, something like $100 off the new gas grill we bought. Not sure why it's something to avoid.

All the points and cash rewards earned make good sense but only if you pay your balances in full each month. I haven't paid a dime in CC interest in several decades.

Now, friends, let's play nicely, and have the dignity to know that we all have a point of view. I hold you all in great respect. We all have a right to express our ideas, points of view, and so forth. And I'm not being condescending, I'm sending you this because I have great respect for you. In essence, this is an interesting thread, and we're all here to expand our love of cooking and every thing else relating to it, and you ALL have great knowledge. I send this in friendship and without prejudice, and with humility

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Now, friends, let's play nicely, and have the dignity to know that we all have a point of view. I hold you all in great respect. We all have a right to express our ideas, points of view, and so forth. And I'm not being condescending, I'm sending you this because I have great respect for you. In essence, this is an interesting thread, and we're all here to expand our love of cooking and every thing else relating to it, and you ALL have great knowledge. I send this in friendship and without prejudice, and with humility

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Di, maybe you don't mind watching your friends be bullied. I do.

Im from New York, and Ive also been married almost 30 years. , takes a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers :) But for those who have my back, much appreciated.

I also pay off my balance. I get hotel rewards back. I went on a 10 day road trip last year and in a few weeks another 10 day road trip and got all my hotels for free ( due to all the points Ive accumulated). Therefore, my breakfast truly is 'FREE'.

One thing Ive noticed is that the more expensive the hotel, the less likely they offer their " Free" breakfast.

Ive also found better versions of " Free" breakfast in southern and western hotels than the North east ( more likely to serve up hot dishes and better variety).

**On a completely unrelated note, earlier this year I went down to DC, got two night of a very nice hotel room for free. Unfortunately, got a flat tire on the way down there ( On the damn jersey turnpike), road all the way down to DC on a donut, and spent the entire morning getting a new tire and rim for 700$ ( Which was about how much the two ' Free' Rooms would have cost, and of course didnt offer free breakfast Oh well )

I care very much about you all, and I hold you all in great respect. You've all become important in my life, and I would never think otherwise. Now, let's get on with the topic that binds us together. Hugs

di reston

Enough is never as a feast Oscar Wilde

I get 3% cash back when I use my CC. There are other CC's that give 5% cash back.
Gosh, really? They should try that over here.

Until January this year the customer was often charged a fee when using CCs & debit cards in order to cover the retailer's processing costs. In January it was made illegal for retailers to do that.

Many retailers won't accept cards for less than £5 or in some cases £10 because it costs them more than that in processing fees.

Back
Top Bottom