"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I didn't see a smoked meat on rye, a sub, grilled cheese, or a Po boy. Surely somebody would have claimed those to be theirs....
I was surprised they considered the muffaletta to be more representative of New Orleans than a po' boy.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
The po boy should have definitely been LA's sandwich.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Pennsylvania has the pork and broccoli rabe sandwich??? Give me a break! The Philly Cheese Steak is iconic and synonymous with Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.

At least they didn't mention Primante's sandwich with french fries and cole slaw...

They gave some other state the cheese steak .... ? Maybe arizona?
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
This site was linked from USA Today Online.
Lots of tasty looking sandwiches, one from each state plus DC.
50 States, 50 Sandwiches - Zagat
A friend who used to live in Japan told me that tinned spaghetti sandwiches are very popular in Japan. Now that sounds gross!
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,046
I would have thought Iowa's would have been the pork tenderloin, breaded or unbreaded, but the Maidrite (which is the original Iowa loose meat sandwich) is probably more representative. I had one once, it was really salty.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
A friend who used to live in Japan told me that tinned spaghetti sandwiches are very popular in Japan. Now that sounds gross!
Have you tried baked bean sandwiches?

Cold baked beans on white bread with catsup or ketchup. I never know which one to use!

They were standard fare during the Great Depression. I still enjoy them once in a blue moon. A slice of raw onion and or crisp bacon is a nice addition.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Have you tried baked bean sandwiches?
.
I have had a few bean burgers
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
A friend who used to live in Japan told me that tinned spaghetti sandwiches are very popular in Japan. Now that sounds gross!
Is this served warm or cold?
eh, probably doesn't matter
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,096
Well that was a great article. Most of those sandwiches looked absolutely delicious to me ... and of course now I am hungry !!

I saw some that I will have to make now so thanks for the inspiration !!
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I would have thought Iowa's would have been the pork tenderloin, breaded or unbreaded, but the Maidrite (which is the original Iowa loose meat sandwich) is probably more representative. I had one once, it was really salty.
I think the breaded pork and the Maidrite are a draw.

Indiana, I think, got the pork.

I'm glad Iowa's is a Maidrite. Grew up on them.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

I think the breaded pork and the Maidrite are a draw.

Indiana, I think, got the pork.

I'm glad Iowa's is a Maidrite. Grew up on them.
I would have thought they would mention Maidrite, instead they mentioned Tastee In and Out, which I'd never heard of, for loose meat sandwiches.

OK, now I am annoyed. Asked DH, who grew up in Iowa, what the Iowa sig sam would be, he also answered pork tenderloin, followed by the Maidrite.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #32
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I would have thought they would mention Maidrite, instead they mentioned Tastee In and Out, which I'd never heard of, for loose meat sandwiches.

OK, now I am annoyed. Asked DH, who grew up in Iowa, what the Iowa sig sam would be, he also answered pork tenderloin, followed by the Maidrite.
What is a loose meat sandwich? I've always wondered since watching an episode of "Rosanne" when she took over a restaurant (and that's going back a bit)
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
What is a loose meat sandwich? I've always wondered since watching an episode of "Rosanne" when she took over a restaurant (and that's going back a bit)
I remember that! And she and then-hub Tom Arnold actually opened a loose meat restaurant for awhile in Iowa. Here the originals were called Maid Rites, several franchises around.

Here's a copycat with a bit of an explanation: http://iowagirleats.com/2010/11/01/y...m-the-midwest/
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
A loose meat sandwich is like a sloppy joe, but with a different sauce. At least the ones I've seen.
I fry some burger, then add some chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce, let it simmer some until it reduces a bit and serve it on a burger bun with diced onion. It's a nice simple sandwich with minimal work. Good stuff. The meat works in a taco shell with cheddar cheese, too. That's how I usually finish off the leftovers.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
A loose meat sandwich is like a sloppy joe, but with a different sauce. At least the ones I've seen.
I fry some burger, then add some chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce, let it simmer some until it reduces a bit and serve it on a burger bun with diced onion. It's a nice simple sandwich with minimal work. Good stuff. The meat works in a taco shell with cheddar cheese, too. That's how I usually finish off the leftovers.
No sauce on a loose meat sandwich, and nothing like a sloppy joe, Pac!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
No sauce on a loose meat sandwich, and nothing like a sloppy joe, Pac!
If you say so
I must make my sloppy joe sandwiches different than you do. Mine are fried burger with dry and wet ingredients to make the burger moist, or wet. What some people refer to as a sauce. Hence the name "sloppy" joe. In the case of a sloppy joe the ingredients color it red. In the case of a loose meat sandwich the juices/sauce are colored like chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
I'd have to see the recipes you use to see to see why yours are nothing alike, but different. Do you use a different meat for your loose meat sandwiches? I've only seen burger used, so that's what I use.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

If you say so
I must make my sloppy joe sandwiches different than you do. Mine are fried burger with dry and wet ingredients to make the burger moist, or wet. What some people refer to as a sauce. Hence the name "sloppy" joe. In the case of a sloppy joe the ingredients color it red. In the case of a loose meat sandwich the juices/sauce are colored like chicken stock, paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
I'd have to see the recipes you use to see to see why yours are nothing alike, but different. Do you use a different meat for your loose meat sandwiches? I've only seen burger used, so that's what I use.
I'm just stating how Iowa does it, and certainly don't dispute your recipe! I love sloppy joes, and frankly, don't really care for the Maid Rites as they have no sauce But loose meat MaidRites are a state icon around here.

Take a gander at the link I posted.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Here you go, dawg. I don't know how authentic either of these are, but you can see they are basically the same sandwich with a different flavored sauce/juice.
Sloppy Joes II Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Loose Meat on a Bun, Restaurant Style Recipe - Allrecipes.com

But you livin' in that neck of the woods might have a different way they make them (the loose meat sandwiches).
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm just stating how Iowa does it, and certainly don't dispute your recipe! I love sloppy joes, and frankly, don't really care for the Maid Rites as they have no sauce But loose meat MaidRites are a state icon around here.

Take a gander at the link I posted.
I didn't see a link you posted Maybe I missed a post.
But if the maidrite doesn't have a sauce and it's made similar to the recipe I use, it's because you are using a slotted spoon to scoop it onto the bun
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I remember that! And she and then-hub Tom Arnold actually opened a loose meat restaurant for awhile in Iowa. Here the originals were called Maid Rites, several franchises around.

Here's a copycat with a bit of an explanation: Maid-Rite Recipe | Iowa Girl Eats
OK, this person does not use as much stock/broth as I do. It might cook out. I use enough so the meat floats some, like an ox roast sandwich. The bun is wet when I make them.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sandwich

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.