Thanksgiving Leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made Stuffin' Muffins (froze most), turkey-wild rice soup with homemade turkey stock, and new (for me) smoked salmon dip. Now all I have left to repurpose is the bit of leftover mashed potatoes.

Made Stuffin' Muffins (froze most), turkey-wild rice soup with homemade turkey stock, and new (for me) smoked salmon dip. Now all I have left to repurpose is the bit of leftover mashed potatoes.

I'm in the same boat as you dawg.
DH isn't the biggest fan of mashed potatoes to begin with,
so I think I'm going to make this for my self for lunch tomorrow.
https://noblepig.com/2013/11/mashed-potato-cheese-soup/
DH and Mister Dear Friend are meeting for lunch in town,
that would be a perfect time to make a small pot of soup.

We brought home enough leftovers to make mile high sandwiches for lunch today.

Actually I call them dinner between bread..turkey,ham,dressing,cran.sauce with firm white bread, heavy on the mayo. Now that's the right amount of leftovers, fixed in the perfect way. :yum:

I went looking for our smoked turkey, wild rice soup so I could go ahead and make it up to have early next week. It was clipped together with a smoked turkey hash, a casserole, and a pizza.

I made cream of turkey soup today. It has turkey, long grain and wild rice, bacon, scallions, homemade turkey stock, homemade turkey gravy, and a few other things in it. Turned out wonderful.

I broke up the carcass with a couple of good smacks of the cleaver and tossed into the pot. There was enough soup for freezer duty. Or so I thought. But we did such a good job on it. Not even a cup of broth left.

I usually buy a 12-13 pound turkey and have a moderate amount of leftovers. This year bought a 16.5 pound turkey in hopes of having more leftovers. I ended up with less leftover turkey than usual!

GD gets home from a long trip Sunday night and she made us promise we'd save her a turkey dinner as she missed Thanksgiving.

So, during the week I'm breaking out my turkey parts from my other turkey and making some more stuffing and gravy. I haven't had enough yet. I'm looking forward to a meal of Thanksgiving shepherd's pie.

We brought just a bit of meat home from my SIL's house. A pittance of leftovers. :neutral: Himself really loves turkey. I like it a lot, too. I'm thinking that I might roast up a turkey when we're back home spending the holidays with our kids. Just not for New Year's...

Last edited:
We've been eating Turkey in some shape or another since Thursday.

Last night I made DH's favorite:

003.JPG

004.JPG

Turkey Pot Pie in my Cast Iron Skillet, a requirement of DH's :LOL:

It was alright I suppose, I wasn't that happy with the crust,
but y'know if he's happy, that's all that matters in the end.:)

I tossed all the leftovers along with the stuffing an gravy including the chopped up carcass into my large soup pot and made a turkey soup to die for. We couldn't stop eating it.

I made the Turkey Tetrazzini with the spaghetti squash, and I do not recommend it. I ate it, only to not waste it, but it's not something I would make again.

I'm finally going to get to eat my Thanksgiving turkey this Friday!

We met my mother, brother, and his family at an Italian restaurant on Thanksgiving this year (against everyone's wishes but my brother's :glare:)

When I saw their turkey dinner special, I ordered veal.

Anyway, my wife got 2 free turkeys at the local supermarket, so we froze one for Christmas, and since I took Friday off to put up Christmas lights on the house, I'm going to roast the other one. Sides will be sausage and mushroom dressing, cranberry sauce, steamed stringbeans, and pearl onions in cream sauce.

I can't wait. I really missed having a normal Thanksgiving dinner.

Now the only decision is do I brine the bird, or not?

Brine it, you have the time for it. I hope you enjoy your dinner, I miss mine this year, too.

Brine it, you have the time for it. I hope you enjoy your dinner, I miss mine this year, too.

What she said. And Princess, I am so sorry you had to miss your dinner. Take the advice you sent to bt. It is never to late to have it. Even if it is a minimal meal for just the two of you. Even though it was just Pirate and myself, I did make a turkey with stuffing at both ends. He made a veggie for himself. No dessert.

Last edited:
I made smoked turkey and tasso jambalaya on Sunday which we will probably have this evening.

I have 1 quart of cream of turkey and long grain/wild rice soup left in freezer.

Fat from turkey stock. Schmaltz or garbage?

I made a beautiful stock from the turkey carcass and leftover meat. There’s almost two cups of fat that I skimmed from the top. Is this fat as wonderful as schmaltz (chicken fat), or should I just toss it in the garbage?

I made a beautiful stock from the turkey carcass and leftover meat. There’s almost two cups of fat that I skimmed from the top. Is this fat as wonderful as schmaltz (chicken fat), or should I just toss it in the garbage?

NOOOOO! Don't throw that lovely fat away JJ!!
I too made "Turkey Jello" that had a gorgeous
layer of goodness on top.
Once it was chilled, I was able gingerly scrape it
off the top and froze it for later use...
like HomeFries or Scrambled Eggs...
Ooh, heh! Confit Turkey Legs!!!

ssshhhh.jpg

Don't tell DH that I do that, he claims to HATE any sort of fat ... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom