Phyllo dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Okay, today I have this box of phyllo dough I HAVE to use. It's thawed in the refrigerator.

I have a bunch (big-three bags) of spinach and some feta cheese--do I have to cook the spinach first or can I use it raw?

I have broccoli, do I have to cook it first? With ham, onions and cheese?

I'm thinking that I'll put the phyllo in a 1/2 sheet pan w/butter, and then the fillings. The spinach feta on the left, the broccoli ham cheese onions on the right.....everything separate.

I've got some beef that is already cooked, some mushrooms. Any more ideas?

Last edited:
Are you making a version of spanakopita? If so, there are many recipes out there.;)

Last edited:
Are you making a version of spanakopita? If so, there are many recipes out there.;)

Yes, for me, part of it will be spinach and feta, and for my friend, broccoli, ham, cheese and onions.
There might be extra room in the pan, I'm trying to figure out what else to put in it.
And not sure about cooking the veggies first or let them cook in the crust, I can't remember how that is supposed to work.
I don't remember how far a box of phyllo will go. (I don't want to refreeze it or have to keep any leftovers--of the phyllo dough.)

Last edited:
You must cook the spinach and drain all the water and then squeeze it out and ring it dry with a paper towel or you will have a soggy mess. Make sure you butter each layer of filo! I justix spinach and cheese with a bit of salt and pepper that's it.

I also make burekas with meat too! Cook onions and a bit of garlic add meat and season with salt pepper cinnamon allspice and toasted pine nuts. You Butter the sheet and cut in large strips and put the filling at one end and keep
Folding over in triangle shape. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame. Yummy!

you could divide the sheets in two and roll each pie so you will have two strudel with different fillings, i do this very often

you could divide the sheets in two and roll each pie so you will have two strudel with different fillings, i do this very often

The 1/2 pound of sheets (half the package) were just about the right amount for a shallow 9x13 inch pan. I put in the onion, broccoli, ham filling (cooked the onion and broccoli first).

The person I made it for, didn't like it because the crispy top and bottom crust tasted 'dry' to him.:rolleyes: The filling was good and not dry.
I told him he'd like it better once it was refrigerated and soggy and limp and he could heat it up in the microwave.:LOL::LOL: The thing is--he will like it better. I thought it was great!

We used a recipe from Emeril's Christmas cookbook and made chicken and andouille strudel, with his homemade sweet BBQ sauce. It was a great use for phyllo!:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom