Salt mixed with fresh rosemary - refrigerate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I want to make a recipe for rosemary salt; the recipe calls for just rosemary, salt, and juniper berries.

Rosemary Salt Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Would I have to refrigerate this because of the fresh rosemary, or would the salt preserve it to be okay to leave at room temperature? Also... approximately how long would do you think something like this would last?

Harmful microbes need moisture in order to grow. I haven't worked with juniper berries, so I don't know how much moisture they have. If it was me, I would probably leave them out and add them when I wanted to use the mixture.

The rosemary will dry out quickly, especially with the help of the salt, so it wouldn't need to be refrigerated. It will last indefinitely, like rosemary and salt stored separately.

A quarter cup of rosemary is a LOT for one dish. And the recipe the rosemary salt links to calls for 1 teaspoon of the mixture.

OTOH, a half teaspoon of rub over two venison tenders seems like too little to give much flavor. Especially with fresh rosemary.

I like the recipe, and happen to have a couple of deer tenders on hand. I think I might try this and experiment with the rub by taste.

However, I would not try to save the leftover rub.

Harmful microbes need moisture in order to grow. I haven't worked with juniper berries, so I don't know how much moisture they have. If it was me, I would probably leave them out and add them when I wanted to use the mixture.

The rosemary will dry out quickly, especially with the help of the salt, so it wouldn't need to be refrigerated. It will last indefinitely, like rosemary and salt stored separately.
Sorry, GG. I can't agree about dried rosemary lasting indefinitely. Dried herbs have a shelf life. If kept too far beyond it they will lose flavour and some even turn rather musty however carefully you store them

Sorry, GG. I can't agree about dried rosemary lasting indefinitely. Dried herbs have a shelf life. If kept too far beyond it they will lose flavour and some even turn rather musty however carefully you store them

I meant they would not be unsafe to eat. Quality will certainly deteriorate over time.

Juniper berries have some moisture, but nothing as much as most berries. They are quite hard. When you squish one, it's a bit moist, not wet.

Back
Top Bottom