Im a 17 year old and need help into the world of cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurtthecook

Assistant Cook
hi tonight i was watching a movie (spanglish: its good check it out) and it happens, adam sandler is a head chef of some restraunt wich leads me to this sight for some reason he made me want to cook. im a begginer so im looking for a begginers cook book to teach me how to cook meat and to have nice dinners ready for my family when they come home from work, or whatever and maybe a little for the ladys in my future :LOL:

so if anyone knows of a book that goes over some meals dealing with any kind of meat even the game kind im a avid hunter so i have a freezer full of deer and fish please let me know. i am extriemly interested in learning. and any aditional advice on how to get started would be greatly apreciated.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
welcome to the group! Be sure to check out all the recipes already posted.
My favorite cookbook is called.... BETTERHOMES AND GARDENS NEW COOKBOOK 10TH EDITION. It is full of easy and great tasting dishes.

Hi Kurt welcome to DC!!! You can find all sorts of good recipes here AND at times I have gone to Allrecipes.com for ideas and recipes. If you do use their recipes, make sure you read the reviews. I won't make anything from the site that is under 5 stars and I pay attention to other peoples suggestions. Have found some nice recipes from that site and sometimes they even give suggestions of what to fix with it.

By the way, knowing adam sandler as an actor, please don't think to make cooking a career by what he does in a movie. I think you would be sadly disappointed because from what I have heard a chef has a lot of stress, long hours, lots of competition and I have no clue about their salaries but I have a feeling that those just starting out are paid very little. Sooo I think it takes a lot of dedication, hard work, enthusiasm for cooking and creating, ingenuity in thinking up new recipes, etc. and have heard some budding chefs who are burned out after only a year or two. :(

Glad your here and you can learn alot at this site. Remember when cooking venison, don't salt it before or while cooking as it will dry it out more. You can cook venison like beef except for the salt. Salt after cooking. Starting to cook, staat easy and ease into the tougher recipes.If you want to cook and like it you will be a good cook and learn fast. Happy cooking. and welcome to this site.

Welcome Kurt, you came to the right place. You will find lots of great recipes and help when you need it, just ask. If your budget allows, subscribe or buy at the grocers "Taste of Home" magazine. Recipes are all tried and true and use ingredients found in most homes. That being said, you'll still find the best ones here.

Kurt! So glad you found us!
I'm totally in agreement here - especially with the Taste of Home magazines. I've been getting them forever and they really are great tools. (and they don't have recipes with hard-to-find ingredients)
My favorite cookbook for beginners is also the Better Homes and Gardens one, but it's from 1942. It has almost 1,000 pages of really good information. I found it at an estate sale. That's my advice - go to estate sales or garage or tag sales for cookbooks. Also, as estate sales try to sell everything in the house that isn't bolted down, go straight to the kitchen and find the recipe boxes! Those are my favorite finds of all.

Even more advice: ask us questions often! We all love to help each other out, and there are always lots of people online.

PS - I adore Adam Sandler, and that movie as well. I thought it showed that he did work long hours....

best of luck in the cooking realm, Kurt!

Here are a few more recipes that are easy to begin with.

Fish topped with relish

You can use salmon or any mild white fish with this relish. I have used tilapia, scord, and flounder.

Just brush fish with a little olive oil. Put in oven on 350 and bake until done. Top with relish.

relish:

tomato (scoop out some of the liquid inside), and chop
seedless cucumber, chopped
shallots or vaidalia onion, chopped

Put into bowl with 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup white vinegar and toss.

Taco salad

1 lb. ground turkey, or beef
1 package taco seasoning
iceburg lettuce, shredded
tomato, chopped
green onion, chopped
cantalina dressing
cheese, shredded
sour cream
fritos

Brown meat and drain. Add seasoning. Let it come to room temperature. In a bowl combine lettuce, tomato, green onion, and cooled beef. Add cantalina dressing, just enough to coat, and toss. Put fritos onto plate. Top with lettuce mixture. Grate some cheese on top and add a dollop of sour cream on top.

thanks !

thanks so much for all the help im gunna go to some garage sales and estate sales around my neighborhood maybe i can find someones grandmas old creations :-p . and to barns and nobles for one of those books.

thansk for the help and if anyone has any extra please feel free :)

-Kurt

Remember, Kurt - ask questions about everything! We have everything from beginners to pro chefs here. Best part is, we all like to help each other out.

Good luck on your searches! Oh, and one more thing - I've also found good old cookbooks on ebay. I prefer the older ones, as they have real ingredients, and most have good, solid nutritional information (none of the new trendy stuff).

As everyone mentioned on here, check out the various forums, lots of info on here. Other than that I would say to head to Borders book store, they have lots of great cookbooks, but I assume since your 17 you dont have lots of money to spend on books, so cutting and pasting recipes from here is alot less expensive:)

Another good place to find cookbooks is your local library. Check some out to get an idea of what you may want to buy. Also, libraries often have book sales where you can get books very cheaply. Ask about when your library might have one.

Your local newspaper can be a good source of recipes also.

I personally love to go and "surf" Kraftfoods.com it will send you newsletters every so often with new ideas on easy meals. The best way to learn though is to just get in there and start throwing things together. Taste test often and experiment on your own! That is how I have came up a with a few good dishes that everyone raves about! Find one that seems good...alter to your own taste and make it great!

Back
Top Bottom