What to do with 2 very dry, but tasty smoked chicken breasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have two apple wood smoked chicken breasts that are way overcooked (long story). They are inedible as is. Is there anything I can do with them to be able to use them? I am thinking the meat has to be shredded because if you try to cut it is just flakes apart it is so dry.

Bolas, point me in the direction of your gravy curry. That sounds like it could be interesting.

Kathleen, not a bad idea. I will keep that one in mind as well. I am not a huge fan of bbq sauce on things. If I do use it I go very light, but in this case a good bbq sauce just might be the answer.

Great idea Rocklobstah. I do have a little cold so chicken soup would be perfect right now.

Keep em coming guys. These are all great so far.

You could also shred it for a smoked chicken salad! I once had a chicken salad with smoked chicken that included celery, grapes, pecans, etc. and some sort of creamy salad dressing.

There was a smoked turkey sandwich that I once had that you could use with the smoked chicken. Mix shredded chicken with cream cheese, then layer with avocado, sunflower seeds, sprouts, and mayo.

I also love the soup idea by RockLobster.

Last edited:
That sounds like the chicken salad my mom used to make minus the smoke. I dont eat mayo so chicken salad was never something I could enjoy, but if I did that is exactly how I would make it. The grapes used to seem so weird to me, but they really do work.

Use it for tacos/burritos/quesadillas/etc. Shred the meat and douse it with some salsa or taco sauce then make the tortilla treat of your choice. Smaller pieces will minimize the impact of the dryness while preserving the smoke flavor.

i say send it to me and i'll put it in some chick & noodle soup for you. i'll even eat it for you. ;):yum: just want to do you a favor is all.:LOL:

Thanks Al! I will pay you back by letting you send me all your beer and I will drink it for you ;)

There is a grocery store close to me that carries great smoked chicken breasts and some to-die-for tasso ham made by the same company. I think I make this about once a week. It's super quick, super healthy and it just kind of hits all of the taste notes I love. Don't be deceived by the short ingredient lis!

Chop up about 1 T each of ginger and garlic and saute quickly in hot oil until fragrant (20-30 seconds).

Add the chicken and stir for a minute to let it warm up.

Add one small-ish head of shredded cabbage (I like Napa, but any will do). And stir it around to mix well. Add about 2t fish sauce and 1T of rice wine vinegar. Stir frequently and let cook until the cabbage is wilted but still has a bit of crunch. Taste and if it needs more "salt" flavor, add a bit more fish sauce.

Serve over rice.

Can substitute a good dark soy for the fish sauce, but it won't be quite the same. <3

Last edited:
Dice them up into a mince and use it, along with some cheddar cheese to stuff some bacon wrapped cored jalapenos, then slow cook the jalapenos on a covered, smokey grill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom