Bread question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bourbon

Senior Cook
what role does salt play in a bread recipe ? Does it do more than just add flavor ? I'm trying to limit my salt intake and was wondering how it would be if I eliminated the salt. I mostly make the no knead dutch oven bread.

According to the Bread Baking Assoc., and I quote: [SIZE=-1]Unless your dietitian or doctor prescribe a low-sodium diet, keep the salt in your baking recipes at the level called for. Salt has several functions in baked goods:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]
    [*] It contributes to overall flavor.
    [*] In bread, it controls the fermentation rate of yeast.
    [*] It has a strengthening effect on the gluten protein in the dough. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Without salt, bread rises faster and air pockets enlarge where the gluten has broken, allowing holes to form. Bread made without salt will taste bland. If you choose to eliminate salt, decrease the proofing time so that the large air pockets don't have time to develop.[/SIZE]

Well I didn't have all the scientific stuff at my fingertips, but I was going to post the same as Arky. Nice fast answer there Arky!

According to the Bread Baking Assoc., and I quote: [SIZE=-1]Unless your dietitian or doctor prescribe a low-sodium diet, keep the salt in your baking recipes at the level called for. Salt has several functions in baked goods:
[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    [*] It contributes to overall flavor.
    [*] In bread, it controls the fermentation rate of yeast.
    [*] It has a strengthening effect on the gluten protein in the dough.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Without salt, bread rises faster and air pockets enlarge where the gluten has broken, allowing holes to form. Bread made without salt will taste bland. If you choose to eliminate salt, decrease the proofing time so that the large air pockets don't have time to develop.[/SIZE]

Thanks Arky. That's what I was wondering, just how much salt played in the reaction of all the ingredients.

Okay, listen up people. Salt is recommended to control the rate of fermentation with the yeast. But, very important: do not use iodized salt. You can get un-iodized sea salt at almost any grocery store. Iodized salt will kill a good portion of your yeast, which you definitely do not want. Regulate, yes, kill, no. Thought I needed to add this to this thread.

Thanks mbasiszta, I have been using iodized salt now I know why the rise hasn't been what I expected. Still tasted good, just sort of dissapointed with the rise.

When I make bread and put in too little salt it doesn't taste very good but it doesn't seem to affect the bread creation process. In fact, I have to be careful not to make the salt come in contact with the yeast since it will kill it.

You could very simply make it without salt and see if you like it. If it doesn't taste good, just eat it with something a bit salty like cheese.

Can you cut back on the salt in other places other than the bread?

When I make bread and put in too little salt it doesn't taste very good but it doesn't seem to affect the bread creation process. In fact, I have to be careful not to make the salt come in contact with the yeast since it will kill it.

You could very simply make it without salt and see if you like it. If it doesn't taste good, just eat it with something a bit salty like cheese.

Can you cut back on the salt in other places other than the bread?

I have cut back in most areas that I used salt before. I really don't miss it anymore. I mainly cut back to help in lowering my blood pressure.

Back
Top Bottom