Calamari

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
goboenomo said:
Ooo i'll have to look for that
There is a wal mart just up the street

i dont have a deep fryer
but if i covered them in flour and put them in some vegetable oil on high... would that work?

That is what I do (as I posted). Just dust them and cook VERY quickly in oil, but it has to be VERY hot and an inch or more deep. If you cook them too long they will be rubbery.
"steaks" are just the bodies and they are really good too.

Well I would have put it on the highest temperature.
Duel-High
And I would say about... 45 seconds to a minute in it?

I like fried calamari, too, but the best squid I've ever had was at Jimmy Buffet's in New Orleans. It was stir-fried, I guess, with strips of multicolored sweet and hot peppers...very spicy. It was in a translucent sauce of some kind...probably thickened with cornstarch.
My memory is not all that clear. We started out that morning with beer and oysters on the half-shell, had some mighty right gumbo, moved on to hurricanes, went back to our room at the Bourbon Orleans and cleaned up, then more beer at an hors d'ouevre bar, shopping, bar-hopping, and finally Jimmy's Perfect Margarita. By the time I got to the calamari, everything was a little bit fuzzy.

I just love Calamari! I think the most enjoyable way I eat it is Calamari Fra Diavlo over Linguini. I add capers to the recipe. Also It's kind of neat if you can get Black Linguini (colored with squid ink) and add just a handfull to the regular linguini it creates a ultra contrasting visual when plated.

remember, cook hot and fast! It will turn to rubber on you quick fast. I like dredging mine in a mix of egg white and corn starch(1T starch to 1 egg white), salt and white pepper( a little lime zest is nice too) and pan fry in peanut oil. Accompany with sweet thai chili sauce and some cilantro.

Regarding the deep fryer, I hae NEVER had one, and manage to cook most things I want without it. Calamari in a frying pan is fine.....as they are thin rings you want to cook you can easily cover them with oil.

Doughnuts I have done, but that was harder, lol.

I do recommend having a soaked towel nearby. Just in case. In my experience having it ready means I don't need it.....not having it there has resulted in some near misses!

Any time I use "serious oil" rather than a bottom coating splash, I hae a towel ready!

Alright.
I would still like to have a deep fryer.
That would be nice.
I'd like to make doughnuts, that would be wicked!

goboenomo said:
hmmm
marinara or fra diavolo??

i'm not a fan oh Thai personally
Gobo, neither Marinara nor Fra Diavolo have anything to do with Thai food... both are Italian.

My personal favorite way to cook squid/calamari is grilled, whether on a traditional grill or on a flattop -- altho I love perfectly fried calamari with only fresh lemon for a splash. :)

Nono
I was asking what those 2 were

Thai style calamari had been mentioned
and I don't like Thai

Gretchen said:
That is what I do (as I posted). Just dust them and cook VERY quickly in oil, but it has to be VERY hot and an inch or more deep. If you cook them too long they will be rubbery.
"steaks" are just the bodies and they are really good too.
I marinate my squid tubes in Kiwi Fruit to tenderise them. My method is to use 6 large fruit per 5kg block by mulching them in a food processor then paint the tubes while they're frozen, store in the fridge overnight to thaw, wash well before using. Of late I have been using fresh pineapple with the same result.

Now that i've got about a hundred different ideas, i'll have to check Wal-Mart to see if they sell it!
Ten ill make it and make my girlfriend try some!
Hahaha she's too picky, she wont even touch it.

I was told i could find some there.
Not the calamari steaks, but the cut rings.
Ill try a few breaded recipes and frying it in oil.

Just as BreezyCooking said, the calamari my husband ate in a restaurant today had just been dipped in corn flour before being fried....and it was very good. Rivalled but did not beat a light tempura or a light beer batter! And I know it was my husband's plate, but what s the point of ordering different things unless you taste, huh?!

Take the Go Train or VIA into BigSmoke. Get off in Kensington area. Head right into one of the four (city-wide) Chinatowns. SHOP!

As for recipes.. .there's no wrong or right one. The trick with calamari is 3 minutes or less or 30 minutes or more. Stuffed, you asked?? Well, there's sausage stuffed baked calamari that rocks. And no, you won't find it in most restaurants. Not Kelseys, Montanas, Shoeless Joes, et al. You MIGHT, however, find it at Susur Lee's (restaurant in TO)

Go Leafs, eh?! (A former Trentonian)
Ciao,

Back
Top Bottom