How often do you eat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to buy fish or shellfish without thinking much about it. Now I ask the source. Do I trust my market? Yes. They are generous with information.

We eat fish or shellfish a couple of times a week. But, I will never buy tilapia, or any other seafood, from China again after reading this in National Geographic: Yellow River - National Geographic Magazine

This is a pretty good guide to making good seafood choices, unless you can catch them yourself: Monterey Bay Aquarium: Download a Regional Seafood Watch Card

We have the same perception of Bassa from Vietnam GotGarlic where in some cases the farmers live over the ponds and all their waste, including human waste, is dumped in to the ponds. Having said that, it is not allways the case but just the thought of it is enough. I to will not buy seafood, especially prawns [shrimp] from China, mainly because of toxin levels but as June says, the cost of the local product is becoming out of reach for most people with the Chinese product selling at about 1/2 the price.

The problem we have is that the Seafood Importing Industry, like must other Industries now, is self regulating and very few random checks are done which means that the importer has to gaurantee the product. You may correctly assume that he is not about to disclose anything detrimental to his business as he has a very slim chance of getting caught out.

One product that I use, because I have no other choice, is "wild caught New Zealand Squid" which also carries the label "product of China" so I'm guessing it should be OK

You people must tell me about Tilapia, we do not import the fillets and the fish is deemed to be noxious here so live fish are banned but I guess it would be something like Snapper or Bream??

I could eat fish at least three times a week - DH doesn't really care for it. Living in Mi., we don't have a lot of choices. They have fresh wild Cod on sale for $6.99 lb - is that a decent price ?
Thanks all !

Hi Barb L.,

How often do I eat fish?

I love it and lust after it and eat, as often as I can, the riches of the sea.

Archiduc

we eat fish about once a week. it's usually sushi or sashimi, but we also like certain fishes baked, poached, or pan seared, such as trout, grey sole, and ahi tuna, respectively.

I have to confess, that apart from salmon I am not good with cooking fish. I like fish but only filleted, I'm terrible with fish bones. I'm also not keen on fish skin. I think I'm unusual in not really being keen on tuna steaks or monkfish too. I love mussels and ave been craving them, can't wait till they are back in season.

A fish I used to love, but can't get in Europe now is Orange roughy. I miss that!

Now that I barely cook for myself during the week time I noice I'm eating less and less fish. when I do its mainly salmon because its so easy to cook well. smoked salmon is nice, smoked trout nicer and I love ot smoked fish too.

I've eating fish twice this week, and it used to be a minimum of weekly, bu now its more like twice a month. shameful!

Living on the shores of Lake Huron I'm spoiled with fish. But we only eat it once a week and usually its a frozen fish. But if I'm feeling "fishy" I'll go to the fish store about 10 minutes away and get smoked white fish or some fresh fish.

we eat fish maybe 4 times per week, sometimes more. We live by the sea and it also helps that my little daughter eats fish better than meat!!!. She is like a cat....

I love fish. Would probably eat it 3-4 times a week if I went and caught it myself. But I'm down to about 1ce
a week.
I just tries catfish, blackened, on Tuesday night, at a local restaurant. Never had catfish due to all the yik stories about it. But I was talked into ordering it, and it was sooooooo good!
LUCKY ME! Give me more!!!​

Three times weekly now. We get the frozen tilapia 3 lb. bags so it makes it easy to create 2 meals. I've found shrimp for $3.99 p/lb. lately and I'm really happy serving shrimp once weekly.

:(Not nearly enough as well. I would buy it much more often if it weren't for the prices. I know there are some very affordable fish out there but I want the salmon, bass, halibut, sword fish ect.! So it ends up being a treat type meal for me....every blue moon:glare:

Eating fish is only healthful if you are eating healthy fish. As well, some of the fish that are highly advertised and familiar to many folks are being OVERfished and causing ecological imbalance in the oceans.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a program called Seafood Watch, where you can go to keep track of what's good, what's not so good and what's bad. Click above for the link if you're interested.

We are not fond of FISH

We try to eat fish once a week. Not sure of the "fresh" in this area.

We have canned tuna and sardines in olive oil.

Not a favorite. Eat because it is good to eat GOOD fish. And where is the good fresh fish? Not around this area.

maybe once a month or so. i would have it 1ce a week, but for some reason DH doesn't want it that often. He actually does like it so not sure why he is like that.

We have seafood at least twice a week - sometimes more depending on what's good, available (& on sale - lol!!).

While I make a major effort to make sure we eat a variety of different fish, the only farmed seafood I purchase is U.S.-raised catfish. Everything else is wild-caught. Oh - & I never knowingly purchase imported seafood.

Not as much as I would like,
GF only likes shrimp, crabs, tuna or flounder. I LOVE it all!
The real problem is the freshness of the product. After checking my local grocery stores for tuna the past few weeks, I finally went to Costco and purchased the frozen individual wraped tuna steaks.
Not bad, but also not as good as fresh.

Up to me ?

If it were up to me, I would eat fish practically every day. I love it when it's good & nothing comes close. However, DW won't eat seafood at all, so I eat it when I can. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom