How often do you eat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I could eat fish at least three times a week - DH doesn't really care for it. Living in Mi., we don't have a lot of choices. They have fresh wild Cod on sale for $6.99 lb - is that a decent price ?
Thanks all !

Last edited:
Not enough. I could also eat it 3 days a week but unfortunately my kids are not huge fans and one of my son is allergic to fish. Last time he had it we almost ended up with him in the hospital so I try to avoid cooking it at home. I just eat it when I am traveling or when we go out to dinner.

I'm one of those people who never eat fish. When I was a kid, my Dad fished a lot so we had fish very frequently. I haven't had a bite of fish in almost 36 years. But I adore shellfish!

Not often enough. My wife hates it. hates the smell, the look, the taste. So i donot cook often enough. Hate to coook two diners. But when she is out of town it is all i eat. I love it. Well, the price is also a big factor, it is so expensive.

I usually eat it five times or more a week. But I just found out I'm pregnant so I have to cut back to three times a week. Which is hard because my husband is a fishing captain & brings fresh fish home all the time. I am also done with sashimi for a while. :)

I WAS like Fisher's Mom... as a kid, we fished a lot and ate what we caught...
Fried. That was the only way Mom cooked fish.

Recently, I have discovered other cooking methods, so now I am probably at
about 3 times a week, and would be happy with more, LOL!

or wild cod (not frozen) that's a good price. Love fish have it all the time. Pan fry it in cracker meal, poach it in wine butter and herbs, bake it broil it, curry it, peanut sauce it, make chowder, fish soups stews etc.

I WAS like Fisher's Mom... as a kid, we fished a lot and ate what we caught...
Fried. That was the only way Mom cooked fish.

Recently, I have discovered other cooking methods, so now I am probably at
about 3 times a week, and would be happy with more, LOL!
Yep, that's how my mom made it, too. Always fried.

I usually eat it five times or more a week. But I just found out I'm pregnant so I have to cut back to three times a week. Which is hard because my husband is a fishing captain & brings fresh fish home all the time. I am also done with sashimi for a while. :)
Wow, you slipped that one in and I almost missed it. Congratulations!!! What wonderful news. A new addition to the DC family!:)

Including canned fish, smoked salmon and crustaceans, probably four times a week on average. Gonna make fish cakes this week if I can tolerate turning the oven on.

In the last couple of years I've cut my red meat intake down to a couple of times a month, so I probably eat fish or other seafood 4-5 times a week, including lunch and dinner.

Congratulations! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

We eat fish about once or sometimes twice every two weeks. Normally we have really plain white fish, and I only know two ways to cook it, and my family only likes one of those ways. I've cooked salmon once and my family really enjoyed it, but it hasn't been on sale lately.

I make lots of fish at home.

Most commonly I utilize frozen fillets of either tilapia or mahi mahi. Tilapia for meuniere and the Mahi Mahi just gets seared in olive oil, sea salt, and some lemon juice.

I also recently acquired a deep fryer, so now I do Nashville-style "hot fish" once in awhile, whiting dipped in hot sauce-laced egg mixture and then dredged in cornmeal, deep fried. This makes unbelievable Po Boys.

I've also tried the Le Bernadin "barely cooked" method for salmon, in which it is cooked at a very low temperature until it IS done but it looks raw. It produced a very flavorful fish and I've been eating a fair amount of this. I like to serve braised lentils or gigantes beans with it.

Roasting whole fish is a blast too, especially because my local asian Lotte market is often packed to the rafters with fresh Tilapia, snapper, and other suitable fish. They almost always provide a "twisted with rigor" level of freshness too, which I can't seem to find at most supermarkets. For a whole fish, I prefer a sugatayaki-style preparation best.

I enjoy canned/jarred seafood as well. For whatever reason I'm a big fan of old-school pickled herring (NOT the kind in cream...yuck). I also like canned salmon for curried bermuda salmon cakes (brunch!!) or sardines/mackerel for snacking.

Oh, and if you want to count eel as fish (which works, biologically), I like to make homemade una-don. I almost always use frozen unagi, which is the easy way out, but it's a quick tasty meal on a weeknight with some pickled daikon and a bowl of osuimono.

Back
Top Bottom