My very last special at the restaurant....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm hoping we get to see a few pictures of those. :)
The best of luck to you in your new job. I have always enjoyed your posts and pictures of the specials. I've picked up some great tips. The salmon looks awesome. Thanks, and good luck, IC! Hope you keep posting when you can.

These aren't off the current menu, but here's some pics of their dishes from previous menus:

Yahoo! Image Search Results for chef mavro

you are too funny, IC, .....can you make pickles? that's my comment to you leaving......pickles.........hope that all works out.....you look young so I'm sure that you gain lots from your experiences........wishing you again the best of luck and good karma..........

I am only new here...So I don't really know anyone yet...But Thanks for letting us know and sharing with us...:)
Good luck...It's about time you grew some hair and got a real job!:ROFLMAO:

I understand where you are going...and I wish you all the best.

Now...What is this diced baby bok choy all about?...Get rid of that ugly parsley or coriander, I mean what is with a single little leaf? That's not a garnish - it's an after thought! If you really must use leaves like that, at least group in 3's and cut off or hide the stems!

Leave the baby bok choy whole (cook it of course)...Place it along side the salmon. Keep your whole grain mustard sce as the bed...and honestly, I wouldn't change anything else..! Thats it...don't chop the bok choy..!

If the bok choy was whole, I would pay for it.;)

Good luck...and please lets us all know how you go in your new job.:chef:

Welcome, Kiss, to DC.....in passing you know, it's HIS restaurant and a lot of people happen to love diced bok choy , parsley, and coriander....me included....my hubby, too, if you eliminate the coriander but you can put it on his plate and he just won't get offended....he just doesn't eat it.....I happen to eat parsley ---many people won't......I make baby bok choi a lot as our grocery store stocks it....I chop it up and put it in the steamer for just a few minutes......it's delicious...... IronChef has taken the time out of his busy schedule to post his recipes........I love them.......

wow, ironchef, that does look incredible...any more details you want to share on how you got the crusting on there, exactly how you made it, etc, would be just super. i'm going to convince my bf to attempt something similar, since it looks so amazing!

and i'm right there with jcath: RIESLING FOAM. OMG. just don't think i can swim to hawaii from washington dc with any kind of quickness.

best of luck at the new gig. their menu & wines all look heavenly!

Welcome, Kiss, to DC.....in passing you know, it's HIS restaurant and a lot of people happen to love diced bok choy , parsley, and coriander....me included....my hubby, too, if you eliminate the coriander but you can put it on his plate and he just won't get offended....he just doesn't eat it.....I happen to eat parsley ---many people won't......I make baby bok choi a lot as our grocery store stocks it....I chop it up and put it in the steamer for just a few minutes......it's delicious...... IronChef has taken the time out of his busy schedule to post his recipes........I love them.......

Thanks for the welcome.

Don't worry about the other stuff...It's all meant in jest :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with Marvo, IC! I am sorry I missed the chance to see you at Stage.

We ate at Marvos last September and the only gripe I had was the server was too talkative...food was good and great wine list. I am sure you will fit in just fine there.

Now...What is this diced baby bok choy all about?...Get rid of that ugly parsley or coriander, I mean what is with a single little leaf? That's not a garnish - it's an after thought! If you really must use leaves like that, at least group in 3's and cut off or hide the stems!

Leave the baby bok choy whole (cook it of course)...Place it along side the salmon. Keep your whole grain mustard sce as the bed...and honestly, I wouldn't change anything else..! Thats it...don't chop the bok choy..!

If the bok choy was whole, I would pay for it.;)

I saw your other response above, but I'm all about discussing food. LOL there are methods to my madness... :LOL:

Many times, I try to take away some of the "guess" factor from the diner. Sometimes, when you place components on a plate that are meant to be eaten together, the guests don't eat it that way if they're not sure and they miss out on the intended flavor combinations in the dish. You actually brought up two examples of that even though you were joking. Traditionally, baby bok choy is left whole or in halves when served. The only thing is if I did that, they guest might not eat it together with the corn, lardon, and mushrooms which is what my intent was because the flavors of everything together was really good. The micro cilantro was there for garnish and for flavor. The intent of how it was garnished was so that every bite didn't have to have cilantro. You would just have periodic moments of the intense flavor. And if you didn't like cilantro, it would be easy to move to the side. Even the way the dish was sauced was intentional. Both the foam and the beurre blanc was meant to be eaten together so you get the sweet, spicy, richness, and acidity all together.

So yeah, while it helps to put out a pretty plate, I think there should also be a structure to it so that the intended flavors can be conveyed in the best way for the guest to enjoy and experience.

Couldn't resist huh? One day, you guys will actually taste a dish with foam and you will become a believer!

I'm a believer now I can assure you!!! And no, I couldn't resist :LOL: At least I don't call it what GB does :ermm: I know you posted somewhere here on the basics of foam - I'll have to go search. The son of some friends of ours is "making his mark" in Savannah - he is one talented kid when it comes to cooking. I believe you two would blow the doors off ANYPLACE!

Wowzers... that looks amazing. I'm impressed that you came up with such a unique dish using salmon. Salmon is so overdone. It's hard to find anything new and different w/ it any more. We RARELY do salmon at the restaurant I am at. It's funny though because we'll get the odd person in who will ask us what we do in terms of salmon and I'm just like, "Uhm... well... we don't, usually." and they look at me like I am insane because we don't feature it or have it on the menu most days.

For me, I much prefer a nice piece of halibut to salmon any day!!! But I think I'd make an exception with this dish, IC. Seriously. It looks awesome.

~GB

Like I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'm going to be starting at a new restaurant in about a week. Tonight was my last night at the restaurant where I've been working at for the past year and a half. Eventually my goal is to hopefully open up my own place, a small (maybe 30-40 seat) restaurant focusing on seasonal, modern and contemporary food, with some molecular gastronomy thrown in. Ideally I'd like to do just different tasting menus. But that's several years down the road at least.

I wanted to bring in some halibut or Chilean sea bass but we couldn't get it for today, so I settled on salmon. LOL I guess it's fitting since I've made so many **** specials with salmon. I used the same dish that I did last week with the horseradish and panko crust, and the whole grain mustard beurre blanc. I did something different with the vegetables. I rendered down some applewood smoked lardons, then sauteed diced onion, minced garlic, fresh corn, and diced shiitake mushrooms. I then added some butter, salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne, then panned it out and chilled it. To order, it was heated and some finely diced baby bok choy was added in until just wilted. Since it was my last special, it wouldn't be complete without a foam, so I made one with a late harvest riesling. The sweetness of the foam went really well with the acidity from the horseradish and the whole grain mustard. The dish I made last week was good, but I wanted to add more sweetness to it somehow. At the next restaurant I'm going to be working at, I don't think we're going to really be able to run specials, so this might be the last one that you'll be seeing from me for awhile. So bon appetit until the next time:

Pan Roasted Horseradish Crusted King Salmon
Applewood Smoked Lardons, Sweet Corn, Shiitake Mushrooms, Baby Bok Choy, Potato Puree, Whole Grain Mustard Beurre Blanc, Sweet Rielsing Emulsion

IC, that couldn't be more tempting

Back
Top Bottom