Scallops.. Mmm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL :)

San Fransisco has the first Chinatown in the US and it is probably the most famous. Other Chinatowns are great too though. Bostons is pretty small (just a few blocks) but you can find some incredible food.

OK sorry for the thread hijack. Back to scallops.

Yeah, even Perth has one - just don't blink too quickly or you will miss it!:LOL:

That amazes me.
I guess the closest city to me doesn't have enough Chinese population to have a Chinatown. We have quite a few Polish people who seem to live in one area, with their delis catering to the Polish cuisine and Polish clubs, but we don't call that section of town "Polishtown".....
In today's age, it just doesn't seem politically correct :huh:

in my town, there are two distinct neighborhoods. the hill on the southeast part of town is called guinea heights, for it's italian population.
the other half of town towards the river is called pollock valley, for it's eastern european population.

i live in pollock valey.

the lone mick in the maddening bunch.

ok, back to mysterious shellfish warnings.

I will be looking forward to seeing those scallops too, then!

I didn't read thru all the replies, but a great compliment dish to scallops are
pan fried zuccinni in olive oil. Thinly sliced, just a dash of salt and pepper while frying, not too much. Break out the wide frying pan for all them thin slices.
I use that curly metal rod gadget from some infomercial to flip the zuccinni slices.

I haven't made this combo in awhile. Wow. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:
Made more scallops last night, didn't get a picture though. They tasted alot better, except I put lemon in it and I didn't enjoy it that much. The texture was alot nicer as I didn't overcook them, but when I know I've undercooked food I don't enjoy it as much. I have a weak stomach for things like that and have a hard time chewing meat if I know its not cooked thoroughly.

Ok girlie... I have poured over this thread and I'm makin scallops tonight!!!! Gonna try them out in my cast iron and see if I can achieve that carmel color... using a bit of butter and bacon grease, then after they are carmelized, add some garlic, white wine and squeeze of fresh lemon! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

sattie just make sure your pan is ripping hot and you pat your scallops dry before putting them in the pan and you will be sure to get great color on them.

They only had petite scallops in my supermarket fish section.
They had frozen large scallops in the freezer, are those to be avoided?

I suppose I can go to a seafood store and get fresh large scallops.

Mmmm, just sauteed a half dozen sea scallops for my lunch. I seared them on medium high heat in avocado oil and butter with a little chopped scallion, tiny piece of chopped mild hot pepper and black pepper. Added a dash of fresh squeezed lemon juice and a splash of white wine at the end. Absolutely delicious. I think I'll be cooking this one for DW tonight along with fresh asparagus and a big salad. :)

sattie just make sure your pan is ripping hot and you pat your scallops dry before putting them in the pan and you will be sure to get great color on them.

I did just that and they turned out wonderfully. My biggest concern was over cooking them. That did not happen. I also skipped the lemon based on Saphellae's comments. Turned out pretty darn good for my first time cooking them.

Back
Top Bottom