"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 125
Anybody cook hot dogs on a grill pan?

I was wondering if a grill pan was a good one-stop designation for cooking a hot dog... or do I need to boil it first, and then just use the a grill pan for the grill marks?

I checked, and it says that the hot dog's internal temperature should be 160 degrees. So my question is, whether or not a hot dog can reach that internal temp simply on the grill... or it needs to be transfered to the oven, or boiled beforehand, etc.

Thanks!

__________________

rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,553
Grill pan would work beautifully for your Dawgs. That one stop would work just fine.

Preheat the pan. Score the hot dogs any way you want. 4 score one side, 3 on the other. Put them into the preheated pan. Turn and cook them to your liking. When the ends open up you know they are fully cooked. They won't need to be transferred anywhere but to a toasted bun with condiments :)

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
I often use a grill pan for hot dogs and brats. I do "steam" them in very shallow water first, a few minutes for the dogs and longer for the brats (in beer) if starting with frozen or barely thawed pups. but if they are at or near room temp, that's not necessary, (except for the brats in beer).
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Right on for the brats in beer, Robo. I cook my onions in the beer first, then add the brats. Such flavor and the leftover beer juice makes a delicious liquid for a sauce (for anything but the brats).
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
Cook
 
chefmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 59
BBQ the sausages in teriyaki, leave it in colander to dry and then dip into teriyaki sauce then BBQ again~
chefmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Grill pan would work beautifully for your Dawgs. That one stop would work just fine.

Preheat the pan. Score the hot dogs any way you want. 4 score one side, 3 on the other. Put them into the preheated pan. Turn and cook them to your liking. When the ends open up you know they are fully cooked. They won't need to be transferred anywhere but to a toasted bun with condiments :)

Munky.
Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering what you meant by "scoring" the hotdogs. Do you mean to make an incision with the knife? I've seen some people do that, and I wondered why...

I tried googling, and it turned up "box scores" LOL

Could you please elaborate on the "scoring" part? And how deep does the incision have to be?

PS: What if I don't "score" it? How long do the dogs usually take to cook? 5 minutes both sides?
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I often use a grill pan for hot dogs and brats. I do "steam" them in very shallow water first, a few minutes for the dogs and longer for the brats (in beer) if starting with frozen or barely thawed pups. but if they are at or near room temp, that's not necessary, (except for the brats in beer).
Thanks robo.

PS: If you know anything about "scoring" a hot dog, pray tell.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Cook
 
chefmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 59
*cut a few line on on the sausages...
chefmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
MostlyWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 997
i would think the hot dogs would cook fine; chickien breast does & it's a lot thicker.
__________________
IF ONLY 1/3 OF YOUR CLOTHES ARE A MISTAKE, YOU’RE AHEAD OF THE GAME.
NORA EPHRON
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,301
Hot dogs are fully cooked out of the package. Cooking them in a grill pan or elsewhere serves to heat them through and color the exterior. That really doesn't take too long.

I know, I know, you're going to cook them fully before you eat them, "just to be on the safe side". It still doesn't take a long time.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I agree with Andy. I often eat them raw... IMO they are close enough to bologna/ring bologna in their makeup, and people don't think twice about eating lunchmeat raw.
I've never used a grillpan though. I just set them right on the grate and cook them until I like the color. And I like the natural split look, though I grew up eating them scored for the most part, at least fryed hot dogs I did.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
MostlyWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 997
I've gotten really sick from undercooked hotdogs, Andy.
__________________
IF ONLY 1/3 OF YOUR CLOTHES ARE A MISTAKE, YOU’RE AHEAD OF THE GAME.
NORA EPHRON
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
I've gotten really sick from undercooked hotdogs, Andy.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it never happens again!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
CookLikeJulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 479
Scoring the hotdog makes it safer to eat. As what Andy said, it is half-cooked already but not cooked fully. Just needed to cook a little more to be fully cooked, that is why some people cut it with lines to cook it faster. :)
CookLikeJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hot dogs are fully cooked out of the package. Cooking them in a grill pan or elsewhere serves to heat them through and color the exterior. That really doesn't take too long.

I know, I know, you're going to cook them fully before you eat them, "just to be on the safe side". It still doesn't take a long time.

PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hot dogs are fully cooked out of the package.
When we went camping we used to eat hot dogs right out of the package when we couldn't get the fire going quick enough. It was perfectly safe to do since hot dogs are already cooked when packaged.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 125
Wow, I didn't know hot dogs were fully cooked from the package. I sorta suspected that it was half-cooked, but I did a quick search and discovered most sources citing 160 as the appropriate internal temperature. That's why I came over here. You guys seem to know what you're doing.

Thanks a lot, everybody!
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Wow, I didn't know hot dogs were fully cooked from the package. I sorta suspected that it was half-cooked, but I did a quick search and discovered most sources citing 160 as the appropriate internal temperature. That's why I came over here. You guys seem to know what you're doing.

Thanks a lot, everybody!
It is printed right on the package. "Fully cooked ready to heat and eat".
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
+1 more about hot dogs being fully cooked before packaging. but that doesn't mean they can't still go bad and make someone sick. afterall, cooked meat will spoil, just not as fast as raw meat.

that said, i've eaten many a dog right from the package, as gb mentioned, before a campfire could be started.

getting back to the op's question: my dw boils hot dogs for a minute or two before cooking them on a grill pan because it's a bit healthier. par boiling helps to remove a little of the fat as can be seen in the leftover water from the boiling step.

i prefer my dogs simply boiled, but she and our boy like them a bit crispier with the grill marks on them.

as far as scoring a hot dog, brat, or sausage goes, i would only score the ones that are already cooked before being packaged. hot dogs, brats, and kielbasi are good for that.

but sausages containg raw meat such as sweet/hot italian, or fresh chorizo (not smoked or cured) should never be scored before cooking or you will just let out all of that delicious melting fat contained within it's casing. if you do that over the grill, you'll end up with small grease fires no doubt.

don't tell my wife i said that last part...
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
+1 more about hot dogs being fully cooked before packaging. but that doesn't mean they can't still go bad and make someone sick. afterall, cooked meat will spoil, just not as fast as raw meat.

that said, i've eaten many a dog right from the package, as gb mentioned, before a campfire could be started.

getting back to the op's question: my dw boils hot dogs for a minute or two before cooking them on a grill pan because it's a bit healthier. par boiling helps to remove a little of the fat as can be seen in the leftover water from the boiling step.

i prefer my dogs simply boiled, but she and our boy like them a bit crispier with the grill marks on them.

as far as scoring a hot dog, brat, or sausage goes, i would only score the ones that are already cooked before being packaged. hot dogs, brats, and kielbasi are good for that.

but sausages containg raw meat such as sweet/hot italian, or fresh chorizo (not smoked or cured) should never be scored before cooking or you will just let out all of that delicious melting fat contained within it's casing. if you do that over the grill, you'll end up with small grease fires no doubt.

don't tell my wife i said that last part...
I'd include kielbasa in the don't score category.

When making kielbasa and cabbage, I found that adding the kielbasa too early and cooking it until it split resulted in tasteless meat.

I fixed that by adding the kielbasa cut in large chunks and burying it in the pot and taking the pot off the heat, giving it at least 10 minutes in the hot liquid before serving. (After the cabbage and potatoes were completely done.)

The cut edges let some of the flavor into the liquid, but the kielbasa tasted like sausage instead of rubber.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×