Burnt Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mary1939

Assistant Cook
I would like to know how to take the burn tast out of my saggetti scauce

I don't think anything will help. Try the sugar but I think you'll just end up with sweet burned sauce.

What I did do Is gently dump the scauce into another kettel and and go from there the burnt taste did not get into all the scauce thank heavens My scauce was saved! I sure had a bad kettel to scrub I did put a dash of sugar in It any way Thank you for the imput

What I did do Is gently dump the scauce into another kettel and and go from there the burnt taste did not get into all the scauce thank heavens My scauce was saved! I sure had a bad kettel to scrub I did put a dash of sugar in It any way Thank you for the imput

Welcome to DC

like mary said (welcome, mary) as soon as you notice that your sauce burned, don't scrape anything up. just pour off the better part into a new pot and go from there adding more tomatoes and extras. it's the blackened stuff stuck to the pot that's bitter.

believe me, in an effort to learn how to make good tomato sauces and not always the time to do it well, i've burned a few in my day.

Glad you were able to salvage your sauce, Mary!

Welcome to DC!

I've been lucky. Have never burned spaghetti sauce, have always done it on the stovetop.

it's the blackened stuff stuck to the pot that's bitter.

Really depends how long it's been cooking with the burbt bottom there - have found the taste percolates up - enough so that doesn't pay to spoil a meal - just chuck it out if you detect the burnt taste.

here's a picture of the diffuser here - it's from above but the forum obfuscates what it's a link to,

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kcdi...0&ndsp=48&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1828&bih=995

Last edited:
I burnt chili one time, and the scorched flavor was all through the chili. On a whim, I added maple syrup to the burnt chili. It change the scorched flavor into a wonderful smoky flavor.

I'm glad you were able to save your sauce. The above info is for when you've scorched it bad enough to have to take drastic measures, and go into experimental mode.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I burnt chili one time, and the scorched flavor was all through the chili. On a whim, I added maple syrup to the burnt chili. It change the scorched flavor into a wonderful smoky flavor.

Put a monkey at the piano - and wait long enough - you will get Beethoven :)

Glad you found solace with your maple syrup - but over the years I have wasted a lot of good stuff and time trying to recover 'mistakes' - throwing good money after bad - as they say - many times it's just best to close your eyes and dump - and start over

Put a monkey at the piano - and wait long enough - you will get Beethoven :)

Glad you found solace with your maple syrup - but over the years I have wasted a lot of good stuff and time trying to recover 'mistakes' - throwing good money after bad - as they say - many times it's just best to close your eyes and dump - and start over

The chili was for a cookoff and I was representing our local farmer's market. I couldn't let them down. I put together the flavors in my head and was fairly certain I could transform the chili into something that was worth entering. I got loads of compliments on it.

What I'm saying is that as you experience more situations, and learn to play flavors around in your head, you can sometimes, and I mean just sometimes, fix something that's gone awry.

Of course I've also burned sauces beyond repair. But you don't learn anything new if you don't try things. I will always make an educated guess as to how to fix something that I goofed up. It's who I am.

Alas, I'm no Beethoven. I am, however, a talented amateur.

Oh, and lest I stick my foot in my mouth, I didn't take offense at your comment. Rather, I was just pointing out a need in some, including myself, to repair things. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But it always teaches me something valuable, even if the lesson is to throw the mess away.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom