Dented Cans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I knew it used to be a thing that dented cans should probably be tossed, but with the coatings in current day cans of canned goods is this still a thing?

A Google search still brings up the possibility of health risks from badly dented cans that have been on the shelf. But what about if it just occurred during shipping?

BTW, I have not had a problem with minor dents in the past, but I just received a couple that are pretty banged up (despite no evidence of a broken seal).

I think that the main problem with the dented cans would be the coating breaking, and maybe the contents getting a metallic flavor. Unless, as TL noted, the ridge is dented, possibly breaking the seal, and you can't take chances with those.

Thanks!

So based on these cans (and I should have included the photos in the OP), what would you do with them?

can!.jpg

can2.jpg

I haven't seen it for years, but some stores used to have a clearance section, where they'd sell dented cans, crushed boxes of things, etc. Probably someone sued them, saying they got sick from a can, and they stopped doing it.
At least around here.

Back
Top Bottom