Excess Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I got a little carried away when making hummus a few days ago.
Probably only has a day or two left before it spoils
Can it be frozen/ defrosted successfully?
Any other options other than eating it?

I got a little carried away when making hummus a few days ago.
Probably only has a day or two left before it spoils
Can it be frozen/ defrosted successfully?
Any other options other than eating it?

Sure Larry, by all means go ahead and freeze your hummus, airtight natch, and defrost in the `fridge when your read for round two ;)

I was going to say that you could spread it over skinless split chicken breasts and bake it, but then I remembered.

Maybe use it to flavor a salad dressing, oras a thickening component in a stir fry?

I can't get my head around that one could ever have excess hummus. Freeze it, or just smear it on lettuce leaves, dip celery or carrots in it, eat it off a spoon.

Not certain why I'm embarrassed to say I do not like hummus.. I've tried it a few times but... I don't like chick peas so, that has to be the reason... :huh:

Ross

Not certain why I'm embarrassed to say I do not like hummus.. I've tried it a few times but... I don't like chick peas so, that has to be the reason... :huh:

Ross

No reason to be embarrassed, Ross. I've tried, really tried, to like hummus too. I've bought it, made my own, but to me it's still meh. DH loves it. My brother is a huge falafel fan. To me it's still meh.

It does freeze well. Most of mine ends up in the freezer, never to be found again.

Last edited:
I can't get my head around that one could ever have excess hummus. Freeze it, or just smear it on lettuce leaves, dip celery or carrots in it, eat it off a spoon.
Lets just say I made the mother load of hummus, then everyone schedule kept them away from home for the majority of the week, and there is only so much hummus one can eat :)

Ross
There are lots of ways to make it. I always put cumin seeds, ground coriander, cayenne and roasted red peppers in mine.

This thread reminded me of a recipe I saw and saved recently. Larry, you can probably vegify it ;) It never occurred to me that you could serve hummus warm, but apparently it's done in some parts of Turkey.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/warm-hummus-recipe-with-spiced-lamb/

I used up the last of my roasted red pepper hummus this morning. It's store bought, but delicious. I love it spread on a slice of toasted whole wheat for breakfast or a snack. :yum:

This thread reminded me of a recipe I saw and saved recently. Larry, you can probably vegify it ;) It never occurred to me that you could serve hummus warm, but apparently it's done in some parts of Turkey.

Hummus recipe with spiced lamb

Looks Great!! and can definitely be vegified.
never really thought to serve it like that. Makes sense, I just never thought out of the box. Usually using just as a dip, or a sandwich spread.

Best hummus I ever had was a place in NYC called Hummus Kitchen. Ive been back several times, never as good as the first time, but first time I couldn't believe what i was tasting. I've had hummus forever, but this was just done right . No extra special flavors, just plain old hummus made by someone who clearly knew what they were doing. Maybe the chef quit, and thats why it was different the next few times.

Back
Top Bottom