Freezing bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
This must sound daft but can you Freeze bread and if thawed out would it still taste as nice? If it doesn't taste as good then I would rather not do this.

I often freeze sliced bread with good results. My secret is to wrap the slices you wish thaw up in cling film and let them thaw at room temperature (keeps them from drying out).

The two of us cannot at a whole loaf of bread before it goes stale. We freeze part of the loaf.

When I need bread for a sandwich, I take off two slices from the frozen loaf. I moisten a paper towel and squeeze out as much of the water as I can so the paper towel is only damp. Wrap the bread in the paper towel and microwave it for 15-25 seconds depending on the power of the microwave and the density of the bread in question. When done, the bread will be the texture of fresh bread. It will taste the same. If you're doing denser or thicker things like hot dog or sandwich rolls, just let them sit ofr a few seconds after microwaving.

Freezing bread is the way to go.
It is my opinion and the truth. Frozen bread thaws to the exact same state it was before you froze it.
I have living proof in the freezer right now. Two loaves of fresh baked bread. One sliced and one cut in half. That bread will be just as good two weeks from now as it was the day I purchased it.

Note: It must be packaged properly of course before you put it away and you must put it back after opening the same way.

Last edited:
I freeze my bread after bulk fermentation when I form the loaves. I can pull it from the freezer and let it thaw and rise and have fresh bread in a mere 6ish hours.

I can not eat enough bread to keep it from getting green and fuzzy, so when I buy a 2 pound loaf of sourdough from Boudin bakery, I ask them to slice it and package it into two bags. I freeze one and eat the other, then thaw the frozen one and eat it. It thaws remarkably fast, and ther is no difference whatsoever from fresh bread. If I forget to thaw the second half loaf in time, I just toss two slices into the toaster oven and make a toasted sandwich or make the sandwich on frozen bread and put it in the panani press.

I have never had an issue with freezing bread.

As with others, we don't eat a whole loaf or package of bread/rolls within stated dates.

My freezer presently has ciabatta and brioche buns, loaves of wheat, white and brioche breads..

Ross

Same as everyone else, except that I just leave frozen slices of bread on the counter to thaw. It only takes about 15 minutes. Sometimes I put it in the toaster oven and toast it. That goes very quickly.

The more oil bread has in it, the better it will freeze, and the longer it will keep frozen. I always put about 2 tb oil in each 2 lb loaf of rye bread I make, and those freeze well for a few months. Breads made with just flour, water, salt, and yeast stale faster at room temp, and stale quickly in the freezer - I try not to keep them more than 3 to 4 weeks in the freezer.

We almost always have several loaves of bread and a couple of baguettes in the freezer. The baguette and the loaves thaw fine in the fridge or on the counter. If the bread is sliced, we don't bother thawing before toasting it. We use mostly whole grain bread, but it works fine with white flour rolls too. We put it in a plastic bag and put a clip on the bag, rather than any twist ties or those plastic thingees that hold the plastic bag shut. Keeping freezer air out of the bag lets you store it longer.

Like the others, being single, I cannot finish a loaf before it either goes dry stale or gets green fuzzy, depending on the bread and the season, etc.

I double bag bread when I get home and toss it in the freezer. I take half a loaf usually or even just a couple of slices at a time. Often I zap it in the micro for 10 seconds for instant use or leave on the counter to thaw when not rushed.

Sometimes with a split English muffin, I zap for 10 sec. and then pop in the toaster - perfect for a poached egg.

Freezing is the best way to store it if you cant eat it quick enough. I find it loses a little of its freshness when thawed, but not enough that it would make it taste like day old bread or Bagels you buy in the afternoon. I like to heat it up slightly ( many times wrapped in foil). To me , that brings back the freshness. Also works for frozen soft pretzels ( that I bring back from philly. No way I can eat 100 of then, so I freezings the rest.

Back
Top Bottom