Garbanzo Beans -- 2 questions, hummus & gelatin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
Hi,

I'm boiling up a big pot of chick peas for hummus. I'd like to do a little experimenting and would like to know what special touches you all add to your hummus.

Second, the water that the beans are boiled in is always gelatinous. I'd like to use that for something and I't trying to think what. On the one hand, I could make a cold soup, or I'm thinking aspic -- but for what? On the other, I know I could mix it into a hot soup or as a flavoring for something else, but I'd lose that gelatinous property I want to play with. Any ideas out there?

Hi,

I'm boiling up a big pot of chick peas for hummus. I'd like to do a little experimenting and would like to know what special touches you all add to your hummus.

Second, the water that the beans are boiled in is always gelatinous. I'd like to use that for something and I't trying to think what. On the one hand, I could make a cold soup, or I'm thinking aspic -- but for what? On the other, I know I could mix it into a hot soup or as a flavoring for something else, but I'd lose that gelatinous property I want to play with. Any ideas out there?

I'm not sure you could use the gelatious broth for anything because it would have a chick pea flavor, but I'm not imaginative about this. I use the broth to thin the hummus.

I have added many things to hummus. I've added ground peanuts instead of tahini and I liked that.
I've added garlic black bean sauce, and I wasn't too fond of it.
I've added roasted red peppers and dehydrated tomatoes, that is good.
I always add garlic and lemon juice.

One of my friends adds tumeric and it turns very yellow, it's okay.

Instead of blending it all in a food processor, you could finely chop celery, onion, tomatoes or green peppers (or hot ones), and mix it in, to make it look more like a confetti.

I like to eat it on a whole grained toast, for richness, some cream cheese, for freshness, some tomato slices thin.

There is a lot of things you can do with it. Good Luck, ~Bliss

My add-ins include: roasted vegetables- eggplant, garlic, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes (or the sun-dried smoked variety, plumped), all pureed. It can tend to look a bit like cat s*#@ on a cracker (or toasted baguette slice, or...), but I top it with a colorful cilantro heavy pico de galllo (sp?). The smoky/roasted flavor contrasts with the fresh/hot nicely.

Nice ideas.

I was thinking of using that broth to make one layer in a vegetable terrine. Since we use gelatin to thicken, say, the spinach or carrot layer, maybe I could add it into another layer. Eggplant maybe?

What do you think?

Is the gelatinous broth clear? Or if not, will straining clear it up? If so, I think using it for an eggplant layer is a lovely idea. I would make a fine dice and not pre-cook the eggplant.

As for your hummus, try it with some bagel chips topped with a spicy olive tapenade -- yummmm....

I boiled one kilogram of chick peas, took the reserve liquid down to two cups. I made four batches of hummus: plain; tomato, eggplant; spicy; and the confetti idea which became more of a salad.

The two cups of liquid MOSTLY ended up in the food processor to smooth out the hummus paste. In tasting I noticed something interesting -- the hummus with the reduced cooking liquid was noticeably sweeter (in a positive way). I tasted before the add ins.

I saved that last 1/4 cup of cooking liquid and mixed it into the eggplant layer for a vegetable torte and it, too, was sweeter. I planed for that, so I made the first layer with spinach and tomato, the second with the eggplant, and the third with carrots into which I added a large pinch of nutmeg. I finished the bottom layer by spreading some caramelized onions on the bottom. Each layer tasted good on its own. I have to wait till tomorrow to see how it turned out as a whole. (fingers crossed)

I boiled one kilogram of chick peas, took the reserve liquid down to two cups. I made four batches of hummus: plain; tomato, eggplant; spicy; and the confetti idea which became more of a salad.

The two cups of liquid MOSTLY ended up in the food processor to smooth out the hummus paste. In tasting I noticed something interesting -- the hummus with the reduced cooking liquid was noticeably sweeter (in a positive way). I tasted before the add ins.

I saved that last 1/4 cup of cooking liquid and mixed it into the eggplant layer for a vegetable torte and it, too, was sweeter. I planed for that, so I made the first layer with spinach and tomato, the second with the eggplant, and the third with carrots into which I added a large pinch of nutmeg. I finished the bottom layer by spreading some caramelized onions on the bottom. Each layer tasted good on its own. I have to wait till tomorrow to see how it turned out as a whole. (fingers crossed)

Wow, you did so much while I was sleeping all night--it must have been your day!
Your creations sound lovely!!!! Will we have pictures soon? Thanks for sharing, ~Bliss

yes the cooking liquid is a great base for veg broth.

the smoothest creamiest hummus is made by gently rubbing the chickpeas together to remove the skins. (not as much work as it seems, but another longish step, but well worth it!)

Back
Top Bottom