How Long Do Dried Herbs & Spices Keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard six months for herbs and ground spices. You get a longer shelf life (maybe as long as two years) with spices like cumin, corriander, and nutmeg if you buy the whole seeds and grind them yourself.

Smell them. When they do not have a strong smell anymore then they will not have a stong taste either.

I have had some that were still very strong after 5 years. Some will weaken over time and some will get stronger. GB is right about the smell; taste them if you want, also to decide.

My mother still has the same cream of tartar she got when she got married back in 1956. You couldn't pay me to eat anything she produces with meringue:sick: I think she still has the same ground mustard, too.

Dried herbs and spices have a definite shelf life. I usually change mine with the seasons. All sorts of variables can effect their taste and quality. Humidity, heat, cold...all these conditions have an effect. Unfortunately, herbs and spices are expensive and it's hard to toss something out.

Buy small and use it often. That way, you never have much to toss. You will notice a difference if your herbs and spices are always fresh.

I would like to change them with the seasons but that would run me about $200 or so.

VeraBlue said:
My mother still has the same cream of tartar she got when she got married back in 1956...

Ah, the wisdom of the older generation. Cream of Tartar is a chemical salt and should last forever. So if mom offers you lemon meringue pie, forget the meringue and check the lemons.

Half Baked said:
I would like to change them with the seasons but that would run me about $200 or so.

As I said, it does tend to get expensive. But, common sense will tell you if you only purchased something a month ago, it's still okay..

It's important to store them properly. I keep mine in a drawer, away from the light. And make sure the lids are on tight.

As others have said, smell is your best indicator.

Andy M. said:
Ah, the wisdom of the older generation. Cream of Tartar is a chemical salt and should last forever. So if mom offers you lemon meringue pie, forget the meringue and check the lemons.

Touché:clap:

Hello, my name is Allen, I cook professionally, and I don't change out my seasonings as often as I should....

I know my pepper, thyme, tarragon, Old Bay, ground mustard, ground sage (homemade), and Chili powder are reasonably "new", as I go through them pretty fast. I have some large containers of spices and herbs that I bought from Sam's Club about 10 years ago. I also have some smaller jars of spices and herbs that I just don't use very often at all. So far, none of them have degraded that I can tell. I keep them covered, and in a cupboard away from light and heat.

I did pitch a small container of zest, either orange or lemon, a couple weeks ago. I just didn't like the looks of it. I need to go through my herbs and spices and decide what's worth keeping, and what needs to be pitched.

Now, my MIL had some jars of herbs and spices that had been on a spice rack, over her stove, for who knows how long. Most of the dried herbs no longer had any color. I'm guessing they were at least 20 years old, or older. She didn't use them, but refused to get rid of them. I think they probably belonged to my MIL's mother, and my MIL was holding on to them for the emotional tie. I think I made them dissappear when I moved my MIL's stuff into my home :)

dried green herbs I replace every year. Spices every year and a half to two depending. (Some like saffron I keep well sealed and confined so it lasts quite a long time.) I like to buy the small bottles, or go to a gourmet shop and get whole seeds etc which I grind. THat lasts even longer.

It is amazing...want to kick your food up a notch? toss your old herbs and spices and buy new and use fresh whenever called for!! wow (yes that includes black pepper)

Half Baked said:

Buy them at a bulk foods/health foods store where they sell small packets or you bag your own.

Back
Top Bottom